Author Topic: Which database programs play nicely with Photo Mechanic  (Read 5027 times)

Offline holthaus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Which database programs play nicely with Photo Mechanic
« on: July 17, 2013, 10:45:26 AM »
I am looking to keep the stars, ratings and Keywords in Each image (nef file in this case)
I still use Capture NX so this is why...also, I just like it that way

since Camera Bits asked in a survey which I use, here is a short list
ACDSee
Adobe Lightroom - out since they don't store in the image unless you jump through hoops to get a sidecar
Apple Aperture - out since I use windows
Canto Cumulus
Capture One Pro 7
Extensis Portfolio
iMatch
iPhoto - out since I use windows
iView Media Digital Media Catalog

Or, is there another solution and don't say use the built in search for Windows.
I would like something that builds a word cloud so I can just start clicking on keywords to drill into an image I need.

It would be nice to finally see the database solution for photo mechanic but it has been over a year. 
Might be time to move on to get the piece I need and just use photo mechanic to quickly get through images

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
Re: Which database programs play nicely with Photo Mechanic
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 02:09:51 PM »
I switched from iMatch several years ago to IDimager that is now IDimager Photo Supreme.  I use Capture NX2 and am not a fan of sidecar files so I like the fact Photo Supreme writes the data to the NEF file. If Camerabits ever releases a catalog program, hopefully, this will let me just read the images into the program without any need for new data entry.

Offline holthaus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 02:24:01 PM »
Thanks for the info....I will look into that one

Offline Franz Dur

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 03:32:15 AM »
I use IMatch since several years. Writes/reads IPTC/XMP to/from the NEF. The NEF can still be opened by ViewNX2, CNx2, ASP... Maybe not by Adobe products who anyway write only to sidecar XMP.

I do renaming, culling and most of IPTC editing in PM5. PM5 writes to the NEF, this info is directly accessed in the NEF by IMatch

The next release of Imatch, IM5, is now in public beta test (you have to be a registered Imatch user to downnload it).

Francis