Author Topic: PM>PS Elements>ACR  (Read 4876 times)

Offline PJ

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM>PS Elements>ACR
« on: December 03, 2015, 08:08:47 PM »
I have a question concerning opening a jpeg from PM directly into Camera Raw in Photoshop Elements.

PM 5.0
Elements 13.1
Mac OSX 10.11.1

I've set PM to open images directly into Elements (thanks Kirk for the info on where to find the actual program). PM>ACR works fine with a RAW file. Anybody know how to get a jpeg to do the same? There's an option in Elements to open in ACR but it then brings up a screen with all images wanting you to select one. I want to go from PM directly into ACR with a jpeg in Elements.

Can it be done?? 

Thanks.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: PM>PS Elements>ACR
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 11:11:35 PM »
With the full photoshop version you can tell camera raw to open all jpg (and tiff) files directly. You do so by going into the camera raw preferences and by selecting the right option for opening jpg or tiff files. By default this is set so it opens those jpgs and tiffs in camera raw that have previously been edited by camera raw. You can change this to always.
I think this should work in elements too.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline PJ

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 01:17:47 AM »
Thanks. . . I know you can do it in Photoshop (CS6) preferences. But I can't find that same option anywhere in Elements.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 11:34:05 AM »
I don't have Elements so I can test this, but when you open the Came Raw preferences does it not list this option?
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline PJ

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 05:42:25 PM »
Found the solution (thanks to a fellow photographer on another forum).

For anyone having similar issues, the solution is to use the crop tool on an image in PM, then click on edit photo and the jpg will open in ACR.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 02:07:39 AM »

For anyone having similar issues, the solution is to use the crop tool on an image in PM, then click on edit photo and the jpg will open in ACR.

This is indeed a nice work-around! I guess for Elements the option to open jpg & tiff in ACR is fixed at “when the file has settings”. By making a crop in PM, you give the file settings and therefore it will open in ACR :)
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline Michael

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 02:42:11 AM »

This is indeed a nice work-around! I guess for Elements the option to open jpg & tiff in ACR is fixed at “when the file has settings”. By making a crop in PM, you give the file settings and therefore it will open in ACR :)

For me this doesn't working. Working with Elements 11, can't find this option. Which version of Elements you're using?

-- Michael--