Author Topic: Smugmug uploader not working  (Read 31566 times)

Offline RonD200

• View Profile
    • Digital Images by Ron Skinner
Smugmug uploader not working
« on: July 31, 2013, 08:26:11 PM »
Smugmug did a facelift on their site on July 30th and now the uploader doesn't work with the new Smugmug.  When I try uploading I get this message.... "bad server response - categories root element missing"  Not sure if this helps or not but with the new Smugmug the term "Categories" has been replaced with "Folders"
My Gallery - Digital Images by Ron Skinner
My Blog - Ron's Blog

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Smugmug uploader not working
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 08:35:13 PM »
Ron,

Smugmug did a facelift on their site on July 30th and now the uploader doesn't work with the new Smugmug.  When I try uploading I get this message.... "bad server response - categories root element missing"  Not sure if this helps or not but with the new Smugmug the term "Categories" has been replaced with "Folders"

That's unfortunate.  We'll see what we can do to get it working again in the next build.

-Kirk

Offline PeterGG

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 07:32:35 AM »
Thanks. I've migrated to the "new" SmugMug where your uploader does not work. I can't migrate back to the old SmugMug format to see if your uploader still works there. In other words, there now may be two SmugMug upload protocols; one for the old SmugMug and a second for the new.
Cheers
Peter

Offline doug_PM_coull

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Dougie Coull Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 07:51:33 AM »
Running 4.6.9 and the same issue since SM migrated to their new platform.

Using 'MacDaddy' as an alternative till resolved - it works fine with old and new SM BTW.

Assume we'll get a fix for my version of Photo Mechanic as it's a feature I paid for?
Cheers,

Dougie.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 08:55:32 AM »
Running 4.6.9 and the same issue since SM migrated to their new platform.

Using 'MacDaddy' as an alternative till resolved - it works fine with old and new SM BTW.

Assume we'll get a fix for my version of Photo Mechanic as it's a feature I paid for?

PM 4.6.x is no longer being maintained.  If the updated template works with PM 4.6.9, we'll provide instructions on how to replace the template on your installed 4.6.9 version.

-Kirk

Offline doug_PM_coull

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 09:06:10 AM »
That would be good Kirk, thanks, and look forward to the instructions.
Cheers,

Dougie.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 05:56:01 PM »
Everyone,

I tried to migrate to the new SmugMug and the migration process has been 'paused' for now.  I won't be able to migrate for testing/fixing this problem until August 19th.

See below.

-Kirk

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline toddbuchanan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Todd Buchanan Corporate & Editorial
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 07:05:16 AM »
Kirk,

If you need a sandbox account to work with, I admin about 9 different smugmug accounts (I have set them up for clients or potential clients) and I have a couple that I could give you admin on and you could play with the API's if that would help...One account is migrated but has not been activated with the new interface (so old settings and new sandbox) and I have an account that was just created after the new implementation....

For that matter you could just create a pro trial account (14 day trial) and it gives you full run of deisgn and API's etc...

Todd

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 09:03:24 AM »
Todd,

If you need a sandbox account to work with, I admin about 9 different smugmug accounts (I have set them up for clients or potential clients) and I have a couple that I could give you admin on and you could play with the API's if that would help...One account is migrated but has not been activated with the new interface (so old settings and new sandbox) and I have an account that was just created after the new implementation....

For that matter you could just create a pro trial account (14 day trial) and it gives you full run of deisgn and API's etc...

That's very kind of you, but the 19th is Monday of next week.  Our account should be migrated on that day and then we can fix the template.  We won't be adding any features, we'll just make the existing template work again.

-Kirk

Offline toddbuchanan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Todd Buchanan Corporate & Editorial
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 09:07:40 AM »
Sure...just wanted to offer...As Always, your help is appreiciated! I know it must be frustratiing to you to have to keep updating the API's but I am one of those who are using it as a tool for my business and the uploader sure MAKES MY LIFE EASIER! So your help is much appreciated!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 09:32:09 AM »
Todd,

Sure...just wanted to offer...As Always, your help is appreiciated! I know it must be frustratiing to you to have to keep updating the API's but I am one of those who are using it as a tool for my business and the uploader sure MAKES MY LIFE EASIER! So your help is much appreciated!

Thanks and you're welcome!

What we'd like to do is get the folks at SmugMug to maintain it themselves.  The folks at PhotoShelter are now maintaining their PM5 Upload template (a new release is coming soon) and so are a few other services.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 03:21:46 PM »
I converted our account to the new SmugMug and I have no problems creating new Galleries and uploading photos into them.

Can someone help me reproduce the problem you're encountering?  A set of steps to follow would be best.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline doug_PM_coull

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 03:47:24 PM »
Not sure if this will help Kirk, but here we go.

I've tried highlighting a single image and have used both the upload button, and also tried right clicking and scrolling to 'upload'.

In the box that opens I get "Opening connection..." then it changes to "bad server response - categories root element missing".
Cheers,

Dougie.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 04:07:29 PM »
Doug,

Not sure if this will help Kirk, but here we go.

I've tried highlighting a single image and have used both the upload button, and also tried right clicking and scrolling to 'upload'.

In the box that opens I get "Opening connection..." then it changes to "bad server response - categories root element missing".

Could you please post a screenshot showing the error?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline doug_PM_coull

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 11:34:52 PM »
Here you go Kirk ............

[attachment deleted by admin]
Cheers,

Dougie.