Author Topic: Smugmug uploader not working  (Read 31563 times)

Offline doug_PM_coull

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Dougie Coull Photography
Re: Smugmug uploader not working
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 11:44:37 PM »
Guess this may also help Kirk ...........

[attachment deleted by admin]
Cheers,

Dougie.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 07:15:19 AM »
Doug,

Here you go Kirk ............

Are you able to modify a text file?  If so, I'd like for you to add a debug log statement to your SmugMug uploader template.  Here is how you do it:

In the Finder, find your copy of Photo Mechanic.  Right-click (or ctrl-click if you have a one button mouse) on the application icon and choose "Show Package Contents".  A new window will open.  Change its view to Column mode and click on the Contents item.  Then click on the builtin_templates item.  Then click on the upload item.  Then click on the SmugMug item.  Edit the template-main.rb item with a text editor of your choice.

Find the text categories root element missing.  You should now be in a method named initialize.  Put the following code in the initialize method:

dbgprint "SmugMugCategoryList, xml_resp: #{xml_resp}"

...right after the comment line # doc = REXML::Document.new(xml_resp)

Save the file (leave it open for now in case I want to you to add some more logging) and open PM up again and try and connect to SmugMug.  The error will still occur, but the response from SmugMug should now be in your log.  Open up the Preferences dialog, click on the Caching tab and find out what your Disk Cache path is.  Find that same location back in the Finder.  By default the location is:

<your home folder>/Library/Caches/Photo Mechanic/

Inside your Photo Mechanic cache folder will be a file called PM.log.  Compress it by right-clicking on it and choose the 'Compress' contextual menu item.  Post the compressed file here.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline doug_PM_coull

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 09:01:55 AM »
That's it attached Kirk.

Cheers,

Dougie.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 09:24:41 AM »
Doug,

That's it attached Kirk.

The output wasn't what I was expecting.

Could you copy and past the entire initialize method here?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline doug_PM_coull

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 10:00:41 AM »
I've sent the file over to you Kirk - in case I'm not doing something correctly.
Cheers,

Dougie.

Offline toddbuchanan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Todd Buchanan Corporate & Editorial
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 03:27:31 PM »
I get the same message...here is my PM version: Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 13915 (a16ea99)  on Mac 10.8.4..

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2013, 04:14:07 PM »
Todd,

I get the same message...here is my PM version: Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 13915 (a16ea99)  on Mac 10.8.4..

Did you put the same debug message in that I instructed Doug to put in?

-Kirk

Offline toddbuchanan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2013, 09:26:42 PM »
I ran the same as you instructed and attached the log here..

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2013, 09:43:30 PM »
Todd,

Their error message doesn't indicate which API command they don't like from us.  I'd have better luck working with an account directly that exhibits the problem.  I converted our account to the new SmugMug and it works absolutely fine.  Would you mind sharing your account with me (privately please) so I can get to the bottom of this issue ASAP?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline toddbuchanan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2013, 10:18:43 PM »
Kirk,

I tried a few other things in the meantime:

Of the 9 accounts that I administer (I have a bunch of corporate clients that I have sold on the service since I can customize it to mirror their site), I have found 2 that get this error…the others are working ok.

-So after trying to login (via PM5) before uploading, I was able to get 7 of the 9 to work ok.

-Next, I quit PM5 and then opened the app again and tried to log in to the 2 accounts that weren't working and still same problem.

-Next I deleted one of the log-ins and re-added the account, quit PM, relaunched and went into the account and still no success for the two accounts.

So I sent you the logins for the two accounts (one a legacy account from before the new update & and the other a new account that was created after the new update to smugmug)...

I sent the logins to support@photomechanic.com...

Also, I was looking over the log file and it seems like the last entries were from early June so I don't know if I was getting you the latest log info...

Thanks

Todd

Offline toddbuchanan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2013, 10:21:09 PM »
Also meant to note that the legacy account was convereted over to the new updated SM account status...

Offline wcuster

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Smugmug uploader not working (updated post)
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2013, 11:36:43 PM »
Since I switched my SmugMug site to the "new" version I have been unable to upload from PM5, build 13915

On the PM File Uploader page I get an error message

"bad server response-categories root element missing"

Any help would be appreciated.

Walt Custer

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have contacted SmugMug support and got the following response. The suggestion of case sensitivity did not solve the problem.
Walt

Please type your reply at the top of the email...
Nick Wilson
AUG 24, 2013  |  05:02PM PDT
Hi

Thanks for your email.

Your travel category is still there, and so is that gallery. The new SmugMug URLs must have upper case letters, like this
http://waltc.smugmug.com/Travel/Tanzania

As for the Photo Mechanic question, let me send you over to Chadd. He may have more info about this for you. Please give him 24 hours or so to read and reply to your email.

If you have any questions or problems, please let us know.

Cheers,
Nick Wilson
Connection Team
SmugMug Support Hero
http://news.smugmug.com/2013/07/31/need-help-on-smugmug-join-us-online-tonight-and-tomorrow/

WaltC
AUG 23, 2013  |  11:54PM PDT
Original message
I have had a SmugMug account for a number of years and have regularly uploaded photos from Photo Mechanic 5.0 (and earlier versions).

About 3 weeks ago I switched to the "new" SmugMug and since then my Photo Mechanic uploader will not work.

From the Photo Mechanic "File Uploader" page I get an error message: "bad server response - categories root element missing"

In the Account Box in the uploader I always used
http://waltc.smugmug.com/travel/tanzania for my Destination SmugMug Account but this no longer seems to work. Has my Destination designation changed?

I tried a second computer running Photo Mechanic 4.6 (which always uploaded fine to my "old" SmugMug but this computer gives the same error message above.

Any ideas? Should I replace
http://waltc.smugmug.com/travel/tanzania with some other text for my SmugMug Destination Account?

Walt Custer
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 10:01:21 AM by wcuster »

Offline RonD200

• View Profile
    • Digital Images by Ron Skinner
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2013, 11:41:19 AM »
Any updates on the Smugmug uploader issues?
My Gallery - Digital Images by Ron Skinner
My Blog - Ron's Blog

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2013, 12:14:58 PM »
Any updates on the Smugmug uploader issues?

No.  Still looking into it.  Todd gave me some login information and I was able to use it successfully from my system with no changes to the upload template.  I will likely have to work with one or more of you to get to the bottom of the issue.

-Kirk

Offline RonD200

• View Profile
    • Digital Images by Ron Skinner
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 03:36:37 PM »
I think we are all getting the same error message..... When I select a photo and select upload to Smugmug and hit the Send button in the uploader I get the message "bad server response - categories root element missing.   If I hit the send button again I get the pop-up dialog box that says "Unable to upload because: Have not received gallery list from server"  Not sure if that information helps you or not.  I know Smugmug has changed from not being case sensitive in the gallery path to now have the gallery names all start with a capital letter.  Also they now call categories, Folders

« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 04:33:38 PM by RonD200 »
My Gallery - Digital Images by Ron Skinner
My Blog - Ron's Blog