Author Topic: KEY WORDS  (Read 3314 times)

Offline breezer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
KEY WORDS
« on: August 05, 2013, 12:59:13 PM »
HI

perhaps someone can help me :

I have never added 'key words' before.

On the contact sheet I pressed the I button (bottom left) of the image
I then inputed my key words to the key words box.
And then pressed the 'save&' button to take me to the next image and repeated.

Is that it?  Are the key words embedded?
Will my client be able to search using the key words they asked me to apply?

apologies if this is a dumb question.

THANKS

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: KEY WORDS
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 01:51:19 PM »
I have never added 'key words' before.

On the contact sheet I pressed the I button (bottom left) of the image
I then inputed my key words to the key words box.
And then pressed the 'save&' button to take me to the next image and repeated.

Is that it?  Are the key words embedded?
Will my client be able to search using the key words they asked me to apply?

It depends on the kind of images you're keywording, and what software your client will be using to perform the search.

If they're JPEGs, TIFFs, PSDs, DNGs, or PNGs, then the metadata will definitely be embedded into the photos.  If they're RAW files, then the metadata will either be embedded into the RAW files, or placed into an XMP sidecar file (a file with the same base name as the RAW file, but whose file name extension is .XMP).

Perhaps you could tell me more about your situation and what software your client will be using to search for keywords.

-Kirk

Offline breezer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 02:09:09 PM »
Thanks for your swift reply.

To be honest - I'm not sure, but there is a strong possibility its Photomechanic, but I can't be sure.
I am sending them RAW images, accompanied by a JPG.

My only concern is that the key words have been saved and that the key words I have applied can be used by my client to find what they are looking for.

The source of my confusion is that when I went to the IPTC stationary pad, the key words box is blank - but perhaps thats not relevant.
I have closed photo mechanic, then reopened it and using the i button I can see that my key words are still there. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 06:35:04 PM »
Thanks for your swift reply.

To be honest - I'm not sure, but there is a strong possibility its Photomechanic, but I can't be sure.
I am sending them RAW images, accompanied by a JPG.

Then make sure that when you send them RAW files that you also send XMP sidecar files, if present alongside your RAW files.

My only concern is that the key words have been saved and that the key words I have applied can be used by my client to find what they are looking for.

Without knowing what application they're going to use to view your metadata, I cannot guarantee if they'll be able to search via your keywords.  Photo Mechanic writes out its metadata in standardized fashion and its interoperability with other quality applications is quite high.

The source of my confusion is that when I went to the IPTC stationary pad, the key words box is blank - but perhaps thats not relevant.
I have closed photo mechanic, then reopened it and using the i button I can see that my key words are still there.

The IPTC Stationery Pad is for applying metadata in bulk to a selection of photos.  It does not show the metadata for any particular photo.

The IPTC Info dialog (the one you brought up with the 'i' button) shows individual photo metadata.

-Kirk