Author Topic: Capture Date And Time As Ingested Filename Date And Time  (Read 3842 times)

Offline Cecil

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Capture Date And Time As Ingested Filename Date And Time
« on: July 30, 2013, 01:05:17 PM »
Hello.

Am using PM v4.6.9 in Windows XP.

When I ingest JPEGs from a memory card the resulting date and time stamp for each filename shown in Windows Explorer is the stamp for when the ingest process takes place.  Namely, today's date.  How does one ensure that filename date and time stamp is the original capture date and time instead?

In contrast, when I use the basic tools from either Nikon or Canon to download the images from my source cards, the filename's date and time stamp do reflect the original capture date and time.

I tried changing the setting in Preferences:  Files | Update creation time of photos with capture time during copy or ingest.  Checked this option.  However, the results were the same.

In my workflow it is important to have the original capture date and time match the date and time for the filename of the downloaded / ingested JPEG file.

In short, is it possible to do this in PM v4.6.9?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Capture Date And Time As Ingested Filename Date And Time
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 02:29:51 PM »
Hello.

Am using PM v4.6.9 in Windows XP.

When I ingest JPEGs from a memory card the resulting date and time stamp for each filename shown in Windows Explorer is the stamp for when the ingest process takes place.  Namely, today's date.  How does one ensure that filename date and time stamp is the original capture date and time instead?

In contrast, when I use the basic tools from either Nikon or Canon to download the images from my source cards, the filename's date and time stamp do reflect the original capture date and time.

I tried changing the setting in Preferences:  Files | Update creation time of photos with capture time during copy or ingest.  Checked this option.  However, the results were the same.

In my workflow it is important to have the original capture date and time match the date and time for the filename of the downloaded / ingested JPEG file.

In short, is it possible to do this in PM v4.6.9?

Are you sure you're not viewing the Modification Time/Date in Windows Explorer?

-Kirk

Offline Cecil

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 07:51:49 PM »
Yes, I am viewing "Date Modified" in Windows Explorer, as I always have for every aspect of my work.  However, that same view setting reveals the original capture date (and time) when I "ingest" with the native Nikon or Canon software tools, but not with PM.

I guess what I see happening with those native Nikon or Canon tools is that the "date modified" value is assigned to the original capture date, when I use their respective "ingest" functions.  So my question still remains, how does one do the same (common) action with PM v4.6.9?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 08:14:16 PM »
You can use the Adjust Capture Dates and Times command on the Tools menu to update the modification time with the capture time.  But it will change to the last modified time as soon as you make any other change in Photo Mechanic.

Photo Mechanic updates the modification time because it modifies your files when you tell it to do so (change tag, rating, color class, crop, add IPTC/XMP metadata) otherwise how would be able to tell which files you've changed?

-Kirk

Offline Cecil

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 03:19:25 PM »
I understand and appreciate the power which PM gives me to both ingest and add metadata at the same time.  However, I am one of those people who prefer to just ingest as the very first step.  Yes, I am aware of the obvious time-saving benefits offered by PM by doing several things at once, but the full "documentation trail" is important to me.

In my own pseudo-DAM process, I always download an unadulterated original of the JPEG to generate the baseline backup file before any tagging, metadata or rating process takes place.  As I said earlier, I rely on the original capture date/time to be saved as the "Date Modified" file attribute.

Subsequent changes to that file--say, cropping or keywording--are indicated with a variety of codes integrated into the filename itself.  The "Date Modified" attribute is only used to help my backup systems to track which files have been changed, and thus require backing up again.

I guess I'm answering my own question.  In short, use a tool other than PM if all I want is to ingest with the original capture date/time stamped as the modification date in Windows.  Then use PM when metadata work is required on subsequent versions of the same file.

A feature request for v4.6.9 would seem redundant at this stage.  Haven't moved to your newer v5.x yet but hope this ability is either included, or could be, down the line.

Thank you for your insights.
-------------
Cecil