Author Topic: jumping to sound files  (Read 24936 times)

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
Re: jumping to sound files
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2013, 07:13:31 AM »
Kirk,

I have cracked the problem!

1) Select all colour coded images by clearing the right hand lower 9th box (in this case I have 73 images from a total of 2280)
2) Highlight all colour coded images in the contact sheet
3) Click on one image of the 73 using the magnifying glass button to open it in the Preview pane (all images must remain highlighted)
4) Retick the 9th bottom right colour coded box so that the main contact sheet shows all the images, coded and not coded, and the Preview pane then remains open with only the coded images shown
5) Now, as I scroll through the 73 images in the Preview pane each colour coded image immediately shows up on the main contact sheet in the original order that it was photographed in
6) To caption the chosen image I can click on the    i    in the Preview pane or directly on the   i    on the highlighted image in the contact sheet. I can also click on any other image in the full contact sheet by holding down the control key first to then add it to the highlighted images or look at the IPTC info and add to it.

I must add that it is very easy to lose all the selected images by clicking on an image without holding down the ctrl key. Also this process is easier if two screens are used or the Preview pane is reduced in size and the main contact sheet is not full screen.

Now life is much easier.
David

ps I haven't tried this on images with sound files but I am sure it would work the same if they are also colour coded
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 07:15:53 AM by judophotos »

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 03:52:35 PM »
I hope this helps.

I always use a distinctive colour code for the scorecard, start number, results sheet or any other technical information that can be used for helping my captions. For sorting out which photos to send I hide these photos and in certain phases most others too. I only display tagged photos with one, two, etc stars.
Whenever I need info for the captions I simply hit F1 to show all photos, then I deactivate the no colour photos or even all other colors just to have my technical photos with the relevant infos for captioning.
I also have a simple to use single image photo viewer app (like Preview on OSX or IrfanViewer on Windows) assigned as an optional photo editor and I often open some of the technical photos in this app so I have it in a separate window I can easily access with a task switch.
Then I hit F3 for showing only my tagged photos and in the bottom right corner I turn off the colors and star ratings I don't need so I have the selected photos.

I use color classes to show if a photo has caption or not (or where to send it). This way I can show/hide photos that have been already captioned as well.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2013, 04:00:28 PM »
I must add that it is very easy to lose all the selected images by clicking on an image without holding down the ctrl key.

I also ran into this problem, when you need a lot of photos to be added to your selection and you make a mistake not pressing ctrl you can start from scratch.
It can help to save your selection from the Edit menu at some point before selecting any more photos. This way if you make a mistake you have at least a great part of the selection saved in a temporary file - I usually use x.txt in the root folder and it is overwritten every time I need it for a different content - as I never need it again after I managed to complete the selection (with or without using it to regain my incomplete selection).
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2013, 04:46:40 PM »
Thanks Szurkebarat.

I think we might have a similar workflow and I have used Xnview and IrfanView to open folders at the same time as having PM open.

However, with the shots of the scoreboard or scoresheet I used to cull all the pictures after captioning rather than leaving redundant 12mb files on the disk taking up valuable space. Now, using PM I take the original NEF raw images of the scoreboards or sheets and convert them to 200kb jpegs in the same folder, often cropping at the same time so the scoreboard or sheets show full frame.

In fact, this is exactly how I managed to work out the above formula for jumping from colour coded picture to colour coded picture in the open contact sheet.

Thanks again.
David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2013, 07:00:00 PM »
David,

1) Select all colour coded images by clearing the right hand lower 9th box (in this case I have 73 images from a total of 2280)

OK, you've deselected the "none" color class in the Color Class Widget.

2) Highlight all colour coded images in the contact sheet

Shortcut: Cmd-a on Mac, Ctrl-a on Windows.

3) Click on one image of the 73 using the magnifying glass button to open it in the Preview pane (all images must remain highlighted)
4) Retick the 9th bottom right colour coded box so that the main contact sheet shows all the images, coded and not coded, and the Preview pane then remains open with only the coded images shown

Now, are you wanting to Preview or is this just a necessary step to get things setup in the Contact Sheet the way you want them?

5) Now, as I scroll through the 73 images in the Preview pane each colour coded image immediately shows up on the main contact sheet in the original order that it was photographed in
6) To caption the chosen image I can click on the    i    in the Preview pane or directly on the   i    on the highlighted image in the contact sheet. I can also click on any other image in the full contact sheet by holding down the control key first to then add it to the highlighted images or look at the IPTC info and add to it.

I must add that it is very easy to lose all the selected images by clicking on an image without holding down the ctrl key. Also this process is easier if two screens are used or the Preview pane is reduced in size and the main contact sheet is not full screen.

I'm beginning to understand what you're looking for (I think.)  What could PM5 do to make this sort of workflow easier?

Do you want to jump from one item with a particular color to the next item with the same color?  Or would you just want to jump to the next item that has any color other than none?

Are you wanting to work in the Preview window or solely in the Contact Sheet for this phase in your workflow?

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2013, 05:12:03 AM »
Thanks Kirk.

The numbered post is nothing but a "work around" in an effort to emulate the easy function of Media Pro to do the job.

And that is simply to:
1) Tag or colour code with any colour the best images for immediate cropping and adjusting
2) Assemble all those images as one contact sheet and finalise the best images. Then:
3) Individually select and caption an image by going back to the original string or sequence of images with the selected image directly visible and preferably central on the All (F1) contact sheet.

I hope this helps.
David

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2013, 05:53:20 PM »

I'm beginning to understand what you're looking for (I think.)  What could PM5 do to make this sort of workflow easier?

Do you want to jump from one item with a particular color to the next item with the same color?  Or would you just want to jump to the next item that has any color other than none?

Are you wanting to work in the Preview window or solely in the Contact Sheet for this phase in your workflow?

-Kirk

Hi, Kirk
Is it possible to do so, i.e., to jump to the next item with a certain color or any color at all?
TIA.

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2013, 06:29:54 PM »
Luiz,

Is it possible to do so, i.e., to jump to the next item with a certain color or any color at all?

No, not currently.  What I'm trying to find out is if that is a needed feature or not.  If so, I'd like to know how it would work.

-Kirk

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2013, 10:31:04 PM »
This sounds interesting…

What about using option or command and the arrow keys to jump to the next rated image?
CTRL+arrow may not work on a Mac as this scrolls through the different "desktops".

Sven
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013, 04:02:39 AM »

No, not currently.  What I'm trying to find out is if that is a needed feature or not.  If so, I'd like to know how it would work.

-Kirk

Not a big deal, but it would help in those situations described by David or Szurkebarat...
As to Sven's suggestion, I think that Command+Arrow would be a nice way to jump to the next color coded picture.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2013, 07:03:37 AM »
Luiz,

Thanks for your support but you suggest that it is not a "big deal".

It is only when you experience it working that you realise just how much of a time saver it is.

Obviously, if you shoot a couple of hundred pics a time it is of modest benefit. But when you have an all day competition with nearly a thousand competitors over seven days and between 2-3k of images per day it is a cracking time saver if you have a daily deadline to meet.

Hopefully it will be included in the future to make the "workaround" redundant.
David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2013, 09:35:56 AM »
David,

Thanks for your support but you suggest that it is not a "big deal".

It is only when you experience it working that you realise just how much of a time saver it is.

Obviously, if you shoot a couple of hundred pics a time it is of modest benefit. But when you have an all day competition with nearly a thousand competitors over seven days and between 2-3k of images per day it is a cracking time saver if you have a daily deadline to meet.

So I'm still trying to understand what is truly needed here.  A key combo to jump from any photo to the next photo that has:

1) Any color class?
2) A specific color class?  If so, how would one specify the color class that it should jump to?
3) A specific rating?
4) A sound file?

Or, given that you have a single photo selected with a specific color class (or rating), should the key combo jump to the next photo with the same color class (or rating)?

-Kirk

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2013, 09:58:52 AM »
So I'm still trying to understand what is truly needed here.  A key combo to jump from any photo to the next photo that has:

1) Any color class?
2) A specific color class?  If so, how would one specify the color class that it should jump to?
3) A specific rating?
4) A sound file?

Or, given that you have a single photo selected with a specific color class (or rating), should the key combo jump to the next photo with the same color class (or rating)?

-Kirk

Kirk,

I am thinking of:
No image selected => Jump to next (colored or rated) image
When an image with a rating or color class is selected => Jump to the next image with the same color / rating

If there would be an option in the preference where you can set your personal needs (sound file, color class, rating) this would be perfect!

Sven
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2013, 10:09:10 AM »
Kirk,

I wouldn't worry about the different colours at all or the tagged images.

The way I would like it to work is as follows:
1) Pictures tagged in camera after ingesting can be gathered together with F3 and colour coded (I will only use one colour at this stage but others might use different colours)
2) All pictures that are then  colour coded (no matter which colour) can be assembled as one contact sheet in the way that PM currently does for "Selected" images with F2 but with a different F key such as F5
3) From that contact sheet it should be then possible to select one colour coded image, hit F1 and the image will automatically be shown in its full contact sheet location as a selected image in the middle of the screen (if possible).
4) From there it would be ideal to jump to the next colour coded image in a L-R direction or with another key included - such as Ctrl or Alt - in a R-L direction (Mac is obviously different).
5) At this stage it would be possible to jump back to all colour coded images by using my suggested F5 key or as needed.
6) In the case of sound files I would suggest that they are automatically tagged in camera and that way they would easily fit into this workflow with the F3 key and after being colour coded.

I think it is worth keeping it as simple as possible and that the above is fairly simple and just extends the use of the F keys a little bit more.

I hope this helps.
David

ps I just need to add that I put ratings on the colour class so if ratings need to be included separately that would make it a little more complicated.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 10:16:35 AM by judophotos »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2013, 10:29:20 AM »
David,

I wouldn't worry about the different colours at all or the tagged images.

The way I would like it to work is as follows:
1) Pictures tagged in camera after ingesting can be gathered together with F3 and colour coded (I will only use one colour at this stage but others might use different colours)
2) All pictures that are then  colour coded (no matter which colour) can be assembled as one contact sheet in the way that PM currently does for "Selected" images with F2 but with a different F key such as F5
3) From that contact sheet it should be then possible to select one colour coded image, hit F1 and the image will automatically be shown in its full contact sheet location as a selected image in the middle of the screen (if possible).
4) From there it would be ideal to jump to the next colour coded image in a L-R direction or with another key included - such as Ctrl or Alt - in a R-L direction (Mac is obviously different).
5) At this stage it would be possible to jump back to all colour coded images by using my suggested F5 key or as needed.
6) In the case of sound files I would suggest that they are automatically tagged in camera and that way they would easily fit into this workflow with the F3 key and after being colour coded.

I think it is worth keeping it as simple as possible and that the above is fairly simple and just extends the use of the F keys a little bit more.

ps I just need to add that I put ratings on the colour class so if ratings need to be included separately that would make it a little more complicated.

F5 is already used for Refresh (forces PM to sort again)

What you're wanting to do with F5 is accomplished by turning off the "None" color class in the Color Class Widget in the lower right corner of the screen.

So what I'm taking away from this is that if you have an image selected (a single image only) that when you press F1 to view all photos, you want it to be on screen (I can't center it, but I can make it scroll as needed to make it visible.)  And you want keyboard shortcuts to jump to the next color classed image (any class other than none).

Correct?

If I were to add another F-key shortcut, I'd likely make it restore filter/view settings.  Basically one would set their Color Class and Rating Widgets to what they want them to be (perhaps even sort mode and other view modes like Tagged) and then the user would press Modifier-Fx (where Modifier is Shift on Windows, Option on Mac) and the current view state would be recorded.  Pressing F1 would go back to View all and pressing Fx would go to the recorded view.

Then with the addition of a "Jump" submenu (which would allow jumping between Color Class, Rating, Sound, Tag, GPS by selecting amongst a mutually-exclusive list of choices) and cursor key keyboard shortcuts.  The shortcuts would jump between images that have the "Jump" choice selected.

Does that sound good?

Thanks,

-Kirk