Author Topic: captioning problem  (Read 4819 times)

Offline Jeff1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
captioning problem
« on: August 12, 2013, 12:45:33 AM »
Why, when adding text, to the beginning of the already placed IPTC text in the "caption" box, and using the selection 'append'  the 'added' text does not appear after clicking 'save' & the arrow box to move to the next image on checking the picture info afterwards in my documents folder ? Sometimes, even the original IPTC caption text is actually being copied. Is there another setting 'outside' of the IPTC box that I should maybe check ? I use a MacBook.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 12:47:29 AM by Jeff1 »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: captioning problem
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 06:32:21 AM »
Jeff,

Why, when adding text, to the beginning of the already placed IPTC text in the "caption" box, and using the selection 'append'  the 'added' text does not appear after clicking 'save' & the arrow box to move to the next image on checking the picture info afterwards in my documents folder ? Sometimes, even the original IPTC caption text is actually being copied. Is there another setting 'outside' of the IPTC box that I should maybe check ? I use a MacBook.

I'm not quite understanding what you're saying.  Could you post JPEG screenshots of the dialogs and the steps you're doing that will reproduce this problem?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Jeff1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 08:21:02 AM »
Just solved the problem thanks very much Kirk. But I do have another problem with Ingesting on my Windows PC as well which is I am continually getting failed ingests and getting "failed to find the "destination directory".

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 08:24:25 AM »
Jeff,

Just solved the problem thanks very much Kirk. But I do have another problem with Ingesting on my Windows PC as well which is I am continually getting failed ingests and getting "failed to find the "destination directory".

Where is this destination directory?  Is there something special about it?

-Kirk

Offline Jeff1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 11:46:37 AM »
I'm setting the destination directory as "camera bits, Photomechanic5" so that ingested pictures will load in a new PM5 file each time. Is there anywhere else specific I should be setting as the Destination Directory ?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 12:35:12 PM »
I'm setting the destination directory as "camera bits, Photomechanic5" so that ingested pictures will load in a new PM5 file each time. Is there anywhere else specific I should be setting as the Destination Directory ?

Could you post a JPEG screen shot of your Ingest dialog, showing all of its settings?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Jeff1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 01:16:14 AM »
Kirk, screenshot of the ingest dialogue box with the settings I have applied to "ingest".

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Jeff1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 01:20:22 AM »
And the failure notice I get

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 06:29:04 AM »
Jeff,

Why are you choosing to ingest your images into your Windows application folder?  Is that really where you want your images to go?  Photo Mechanic cannot write files there unless you force Windows to run Photo Mechanic with Administrator privileges.  Please choose a more appropriate folder for your Primary destination.  Perhaps your Pictures folder?

-Kirk

Offline Jeff1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 07:42:57 AM »
Hi Kirk,

That's where I've always set my images to open when ingesting, as when using previous versions of PM. eg. On my MacBook I have the Primary destination setting as - users/jeffthomas/library/Caches/Photo Mechanic

I believe I've always set my PD as - Camera bits/Photo Mechanic to ingest my pictures (from a memory card) into. This is the incorrect folder to ingest to ?

Jeff

Offline Jeff1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 08:00:19 AM »
Hi Kirk,

I've changed the PD setting for ingesting and images off a memory card are uploading now. I very much appreciate your advise which was certainly correct and thank you very much.

Jeff

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 09:17:54 AM »
Jeff,

That's where I've always set my images to open when ingesting, as when using previous versions of PM. eg. On my MacBook I have the Primary destination setting as - users/jeffthomas/library/Caches/Photo Mechanic

No, please don't put your pictures there either.  The Caches folder is a place where all files are considered temporary.  It is not a place to put anything permanent.

Put your pictures in your Photos folder on your Mac.  Or on a file server.  Never in any sub-folder of your "Library" folder.  On later versions of Mac OS X (10.7) and higher, the entire Library folder is hidden by default in the Finder.  You'd never find your pictures again!

(The Library folder can be made to be visible, but you either have to use a utility application or the Terminal app with some fairly arcane commands to get it back.)

-Kirk

Offline Jeff1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 02:42:29 PM »
Thanks Kirk, I'll change the settings on my MacBook to the Photo folder.

Jeff