Author Topic: PM5 duplicating files during ingest  (Read 7159 times)

Offline ohrbi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM5 duplicating files during ingest
« on: August 12, 2013, 08:46:33 AM »
Using a firewire reader since today (Version 5.0, build 13915 (a16ea99)).
I'm telling the ingest window to delete all my files after downloading the card. But, and this is only a problem with the FW Reader (from delock), all the files stay on the card. The next time I download files (not using incremental) it downloads all again ... adding an A to the filename.
I think this could be behind this problem ... anyway: Any solution on not erasing the card?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM5 duplicating files during ingest
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 09:06:21 AM »
Using a firewire reader since today (Version 5.0, build 13915 (a16ea99)).
I'm telling the ingest window to delete all my files after downloading the card. But, and this is only a problem with the FW Reader (from delock), all the files stay on the card. The next time I download files (not using incremental) it downloads all again ... adding an A to the filename.
I think this could be behind this problem ... anyway: Any solution on not erasing the card?

Are you getting any errors during the Ingest?  If any errors occur then none of the files will be deleted on the card.

Can I see a screen shot of the Ingest task dialog from after the ingest completes?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 09:33:42 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline ohrbi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 12:39:41 PM »
No errors at all. All working fine, but card is not being deleted.
It's the machine at my office. If you still (because there are no errors) need a screenshot, please let me know.

Ok, just look via Teamviewer  ;D ... you were right:
"Warning: Not erasing volume "/Volumes/NIKON D4/", because it contains system files or is not a removable volume.
Finished copying from volume "/Volumes/NIKON D4/".
Volume "/Volumes/NIKON D4/" has been unmounted and is safe to eject."
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 12:46:58 PM by ohrbi »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 02:10:39 PM »
No errors at all. All working fine, but card is not being deleted.
It's the machine at my office. If you still (because there are no errors) need a screenshot, please let me know.

Ok, just look via Teamviewer  ;D ... you were right:
"Warning: Not erasing volume "/Volumes/NIKON D4/", because it contains system files or is not a removable volume.
Finished copying from volume "/Volumes/NIKON D4/".
Volume "/Volumes/NIKON D4/" has been unmounted and is safe to eject."

I'd like to see a full directory listing for the card when you get a chance.

-Kirk

Offline ohrbi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 02:17:40 PM »
Is it possible, that the problem is:
The card reader is not connected directly to the mac, but via a hdd?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 03:34:17 PM »
Is it possible, that the problem is:
The card reader is not connected directly to the mac, but via a hdd?

I've never heard of this before.  Your card is inserted into a slot on an external hard drive enclosure?

-Kirk

Offline ohrbi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 03:36:43 PM »
No, daisy chain: external hdd connected directly to my mac, the card reader to the hdd ...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 05:17:58 PM »
No, daisy chain: external hdd connected directly to my mac, the card reader to the hdd ...

That shouldn't make any difference.  Just a FireWire daisy chain.

Can you get me a directory listing of the card?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline ohrbi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 07:26:04 AM »
On the same Mac the problem DOES NOT appear with an USB-Reader!
Here is the directory listing of the CF-Card.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline ImageGroupLA

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 01:20:40 PM »
I have the same problem with the images not deleting and this card reader only.  Any solution?
I would be happy to send the card reader to you Kirk, it it would help.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 02:18:12 PM »
I have the same problem with the images not deleting and this card reader only.  Any solution?
I would be happy to send the card reader to you Kirk, it it would help.

Are you using a FireWire reader in a daisy chain like the original poster?  If not, please furnish more details.  There is a sticky post at the top of this message board that details what information I am looking for in order to solve problems that you're having.

-Kirk

Offline ImageGroupLA

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 02:48:17 PM »
Using several machines, Firewire directly in to the machine, on an iMac, Power Mac, and Laptop
Running OSX 10.8.5  It was also a problem on 10.8.1 and 10.8.3.

At first I thought the cards were duplicating files because the same images kept being downloaded after I thought the card had been cleared.  Then I discovered they were not deleting any of the files, no warning of any problem to my knowlege.  If I put the same card back into a USB reader, they download and delete without a problem.  I have several card readers and I was just going to trash them, but if you have a fix it would be great.  The card reader is hard to find, and they do not sell them in the US.  They do download cards quickly, but the delete issue is so severe the card readers are useless due to the volume of images we go through daily.  Happy to send a sample reader if it helps.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 04:04:30 PM »
Using several machines, Firewire directly in to the machine, on an iMac, Power Mac, and Laptop

At first I thought the cards were duplicating files because the same images kept being downloaded after I thought the card had been cleared.  Then I discovered they were not deleting any of the files, no warning of any problem to my knowlege.  If I put the same card back into a USB reader, they download and delete without a problem.  I have several card readers and I was just going to trash them, but if you have a fix it would be great.  The card reader is hard to find, and they do not sell them in the US.  They do download cards quickly, but the delete issue is so severe the card readers are useless due to the volume of images we go through daily.  Happy to send a sample reader if it helps.

Wouldn't another solution be to simply format the cards once you put them back in the camera?  It truly is the safest thing since it starts the card out with a completely new directory, free of any modifications by your computers.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 04:47:52 AM »

Wouldn't another solution be to simply format the cards once you put them back in the camera?  It truly is the safest thing since it starts the card out with a completely new directory, free of any modifications by your computers.

-Kirk

Hi,
That is exactly what I do.
First of all, I ingest the files into the computer. Then I back them up with an external HDD. Only after that, I format the card in the camera. I think this is also the method recommended by the card manufacturers.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 07:45:11 AM »
Also, it is not a good idea to delete images from the card until you have checked that Ingest has been successful.  If anything has gone wrong you still have your images.