Author Topic: Merging Pictures of two Cameras by date/time at ingest  (Read 4763 times)

Offline robert s.

• View Profile
Merging Pictures of two Cameras by date/time at ingest
« on: August 14, 2013, 06:44:59 AM »
Hy,

is it possibly to ingest the pictures of two cameras at the same time into one folder and sort them by date/time.
Greetings from Germany,
Robert

Hope is not the conviction that something wil turn out well,
but the cercainty, that someting makes sense, regardless of how it turns out.

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
Re: Merging Pictures of two Cameras by date/time at ingest
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 09:46:14 AM »
Hi Robert,

I rely in sorting images by time from sometimes up to 3 cameras. First make sure that the cameras are named A, B and C using the menu facility rather than standard IMG etc. Then ensure the cameras are set to run with exactly the same time. From then on they self sort as they are ingested.

I actually add quite a bit more info as the images are ingested using PM and end up with the file names reading as FINCH_130814A0192 etc. including the reversed six digit date. I find the system works perfectly.
David

Offline jwvaughn

• Retired programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 09:59:55 AM »
Hi David,

First make sure that the cameras are named A, B and C using the menu facility rather than standard IMG etc.

I was intrigued by your suggestion as I don't recall ever owning a a camera that would let me set the file name prefix.  With my Canon I get either IMG or _IMG depending on camera settings. Perhaps I just missed it in the menus as it has really never been an issue for me with only one camera.

Do you know what cameras have an option for choosing the prefix?

Jerry

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
Merging Pictures of two Cameras by date/time at ingest
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 10:10:09 AM »
Most of the Nikons do.

I ingest from multiple cameras on the same shoot into the same folder, sort by capture time, then rename all the files using a sequencing number in the file name.

Mick
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 10:16:48 AM »
I would have thought it was possible to do on most DSLRs. My cameras are Nikons D3 and D4. Have a good look at the instructions for your model as the system really works well.

Using the camera menu the in camera name is _AAA0192 or _BBB0192. It is then converted to the long file name using PM dropping the first 3 characters including the underscore.

I don't know where you are but in the UK there is a new law on its way which legitimises the use of orphan images where the metadata has been lost or stripped out by Facebook etc. However, with your name in the front of the file name, mine is fairly short, you are still traceable unless somebody alters the file name and claims ownership in which case that is direct theft.

I hope this helps.
David

Offline robert s.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 06:54:02 AM »
Hy,

thanks for your answers. I just tried a little bit and it seems for me it's enough to rename all pictures at ingest with the variables "Date" and "Time" at the beginning of the Filenames.

Greetings
Robert
Greetings from Germany,
Robert

Hope is not the conviction that something wil turn out well,
but the cercainty, that someting makes sense, regardless of how it turns out.

Offline jwvaughn

• Retired programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 04:21:43 PM »
Hi David,

I would have thought it was possible to do on most DSLRs. My cameras are Nikons D3 and D4. Have a good look at the instructions for your model as the system really works well.

I just took a look at my three Canons, 20D, 40D and SD800IS, and selecting the file name prefix is not an option in any of the menus. Newer Canons may have the feature but mine - older but not yet vintage  :) - do not. 

I was slightly shocked when I read your original post and was left with two possibilities, I had missed it on the menus or it didn't exist.  I was relieved to hear you were shooting Nikons but I checked my cameras just in case!

Thanks for the feedback
Jerry

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 06:51:16 PM »
Hy,

is it possibly to ingest the pictures of two cameras at the same time into one folder and sort them by date/time.

Hi, Robert
It is possible to ingest the pictures of two cameras at the same time into one folder and sort them by date/time. It is also possible to sort them by camera using the command selection in the toolbar.
HTH,

-Luiz Muzzi