Author Topic: Searching with Windows Version  (Read 5033 times)

Offline robert s.

• View Profile
Searching with Windows Version
« on: August 15, 2013, 06:52:01 AM »
Hy,

I'm just testing PM and it looks very great.

My goal ist to have much folders with subfolders where my Photos are stored, tagged, rated etc. with Photo Mechanic. Converting the RAWs I do with C1 Pro (it works fine along PM).

A few minutes ago I looked at the tutorialvideo "How to Search and Upload to a Web Gallery". But now I have different questions.

1. I cannot finde  the "Quick Search" field in the upper right side. Is this a limitation of the Trialversion.

2. In the Video was said "On Macs you can also set this to also search your Hard drive ...". This is what I want todo. Not the whole Hard Drive but a Folder with much subfolders and even more subfolders. Is this possible in the Windows Version or is it working a different way?

Greetings
Robert
Greetings from Germany,
Robert

Hope is not the conviction that something wil turn out well,
but the cercainty, that someting makes sense, regardless of how it turns out.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Searching with Windows Version
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 07:05:52 AM »
Robert,

I'm just testing PM and it looks very great.

My goal is to have much folders with subfolders where my Photos are stored, tagged, rated etc. with Photo Mechanic. Converting the RAWs I do with C1 Pro (it works fine along PM).

A few minutes ago I looked at the tutorialvideo "How to Search and Upload to a Web Gallery". But now I have different questions.

1. I cannot finde  the "Quick Search" field in the upper right side. Is this a limitation of the Trialversion.

No, it is feature not found in the Windows version of Photo Mechanic.

2. In the Video was said "On Macs you can also set this to also search your Hard drive ...". This is what I want todo. Not the whole Hard Drive but a Folder with much subfolders and even more subfolders. Is this possible in the Windows Version or is it working a different way?

You could open up a folder and its subfolders into a contact sheet tab and then use the Find command on the Edit menu.  But it won't be fast on the first search.  All of the metadata in the images has to be loaded from disk for the Find.  Once it is loaded, the Find is fast.

Generally one with your needs uses a catalog application (Capture One Pro has one built into it now, I believe) and Photo Mechanic currently has no catalog capability.

-Kirk

Offline robert s.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 07:12:50 AM »
Hy Kirk,

is this not possibly in Windows or not yet implemented and will come in a few days ;)

My problem ist that I don't want a catalog. My goal ist just to use the IPTC/XMP data.

I have to try this at home with my existing folders and pictures, but I think that PM is not the right tool for my since there is a usable searching feature for the windows version.
Greetings from Germany,
Robert

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 08:21:39 AM »
My problem ist that I don't want a catalog. My goal ist just to use the IPTC/XMP data.

Catalog applications (or Digital Asset Managers) store the IPTC/XMP (and EXIF) data in a database in order to eliminate the need to constantly look into files for their metadata thus speeding up operations like searches.  Without some sort of database search, in order for an application to search for specific values in images on a hard drive it would need to:

1) Scan the directory contents of all sub-directories on the given hard drive and:
2) Identify which directory items are images and:
3) Open each image and parse out the metadata and:
4) Search the parsed metadata for the desired search terms.

The above four steps could take hours on a large hard drive with many images in it.  A catalog does the first three steps only once, leaving step 4 to be very fast and efficient.

The Mac version has a "Search" facility because Apple provides a system called Spotlight that keeps track of metadata for all files on one's computer.  PM (on the Mac) is able to put it to good use.

-Kirk

Offline robert s.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 11:17:07 PM »
Hy Kirk,

thanks for your answer. I don't want a Software which stores all Information (tags, ratings etc.) only in a catalog. So I have to search for a Software which stores the Information in the pictures and XMP-Files an additional in a catalog for fast working.
Otherwise maybe there are programs which can make an index of a Folderstructure, by importing the Metadata of der JPs/XMPs.  A few years ago I bought "iTag", maybe this is a good programm to use with PM.
Greetings from Germany,
Robert

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 01:20:17 PM »
Hy Kirk,

thanks for your answer. I don't want a Software which stores all Information (tags, ratings etc.) only in a catalog. So I have to search for a Software which stores the Information in the pictures and XMP-Files an additional in a catalog for fast working.
Otherwise maybe there are programs which can make an index of a Folderstructure, by importing the Metadata of der JPs/XMPs.  A few years ago I bought "iTag", maybe this is a good programm to use with PM.

PM does store information in the image as well as sidecar files.  No need for other software.

Offline robert s.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 03:00:14 PM »
Hy Kirk,

PM does store information in the image as well as sidecar files.  No need for other software.
Hy Woodie,

thats right. But searching in many folders of many sessions will be better with a catalog.
Greetings from Germany,
Robert