Author Topic: Tags and flags  (Read 7179 times)

Offline awfreelance

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • awp
Tags and flags
« on: August 17, 2013, 08:50:17 AM »
hi,  Just started using PM5 and finding it very useful!

Is there a way to use the TAG in PM5 so that Lightroom 5 sees it as FLAGGED?   thanks.
Andrew
------------------------------------------------------
awp.co.uk
PM5/LR5/win 7x64 12M RAM

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Tags and flags
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 10:12:57 AM »
No.  Lightroom does not see our tags and Lightroom doesn't write its flag into the images or XMP sidecar files (it keeps flags only in its database.)  We write our tag to XMP but Lightroom ignores them.  We asked the Lightroom team to write their flags to XMP or use our tag value years ago but they never implemented such a feature.

-Kirk

Offline awfreelance

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • awp
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 11:13:40 AM »
That is disappointing - although I appreciate it is down to LR and not PM5.  I suppose that means importing to LR - selecting images - processing - export as jpeg and then keyword/caption in PM.  I really wanted to do it the other way around.  Ho Hum!
Andrew
------------------------------------------------------
awp.co.uk
PM5/LR5/win 7x64 12M RAM

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 11:47:46 AM »
That is disappointing - although I appreciate it is down to LR and not PM5.  I suppose that means importing to LR - selecting images - processing - export as jpeg and then keyword/caption in PM.  I really wanted to do it the other way around.  Ho Hum!

Not sure if this was clear as a new user but I do want to point out that while Tags do not transfer over, the Star Ratings and Color Classes* can be done in Photo Mechanic, and those attributes do indeed transfer to Lightroom just fine.  If you weren't using those tools already than you can use those to make your selections in PM first.

Using color classes that transfer to LR requires you to rename them as described here:
http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=Preferences#Maximizing_IPTC.2FXMP_Compatibility

-Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline robert s.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 07:07:13 AM »
Hy Andrew,

maybe this link is interesting for you.

http://connywallstrom.com/synchronize-photo-mechanic/
Greetings from Germany,
Robert

Hope is not the conviction that something wil turn out well,
but the cercainty, that someting makes sense, regardless of how it turns out.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 07:44:05 AM »
Robert,

maybe this link is interesting for you.

http://connywallstrom.com/synchronize-photo-mechanic/

Synchronizing the color class with the IPTC Urgency field should be unnecessary.  The only apps that I know of that needs that feature turned on is Nikon Capture NX/NX2 and Nikon View NX.

-Kirk

Offline gnits

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2021, 02:47:20 AM »
I know this is very old.... but I am very interested to find out if there are any updates to this behaviour.

In other words.... can I flag images as Picks / Rejects and have these flags passed to Lr.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2021, 11:11:00 AM »
I know this is very old.... but I am very interested to find out if there are any updates to this behaviour.

In other words.... can I flag images as Picks / Rejects and have these flags passed to Lr.

No.  The Flag in Lightroom is internal to the Lightroom database and is not part of the image metadata.  Lightroom does not interpret PM's Tag as a Flag when an image is imported into its database.

-Kirk

Offline gnits

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 04:28:14 AM »
I was a long time user of PM... but stopped using for a few specific reasons.  I wish to evaluate again, especially to cater for selecting images from sd cards which are created by the current batch of high performance cameras using high frame rate (say 30 frames per second 50MB files).  The vast majority of the images can be ignored but critical to select quickly the keepers.

I wish to avoid writing to the card (ie I wish to protect the integrity of the card until the keepers are backed up).

Does PM offer me a workflow by which this is possible.  I make this point, because ideally I will wish to do the first pass to mark the rejects, optionally a second pass to rate the keepers, then only copy the keepers from card to disk.

If I can get this to work I am happy to recommend such a work flow to a number of photographers who are currently struggling with the volume of data created by current high performance cameras.

I know this is an old thread, but the key query is still relevant.  Happy to be referred to an article or tutorial which covers this.  It is important that I do not need to write data back to the SD card, as the only tool I wish to use the card is the original camera.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 10:19:55 AM »
I was a long time user of PM... but stopped using for a few specific reasons.  I wish to evaluate again, especially to cater for selecting images from sd cards which are created by the current batch of high performance cameras using high frame rate (say 30 frames per second 50MB files).  The vast majority of the images can be ignored but critical to select quickly the keepers.

I wish to avoid writing to the card (ie I wish to protect the integrity of the card until the keepers are backed up).

Does PM offer me a workflow by which this is possible.  I make this point, because ideally I will wish to do the first pass to mark the rejects, optionally a second pass to rate the keepers, then only copy the keepers from card to disk.

Those operations would write to the card.

-Kirk

Offline gnits

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 12:50:42 PM »
Thanks Kirk,

I strongly suspected this and I understand the logic behind this approach.

However, just to mention in passing, there is an increasing number of sports/wildlife photographers looking for a solution to be able to accept/reject /rate images on a card and then only injest the selected images to hard disk. 
The driver for this is the emerging cameras shooting 30 x50 MB frames per second.  Copying the entire card to disk to enable PM to do its thing requires a lot of i/o. Most of this i/o is wasted as only a small (but important) number of images will be selected.

I was very happy with PM for a long time, until PM began to reset the sequential reference number to zero. I reported the issue at the time, but could not get a solution.   This was mission critical to my workflow.  I wrote my own Injest app to get around the problem.

So, I will continue to use and recommend other (non PM) strategies to resolve this in a practical way.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 01:14:14 PM »
I strongly suspected this and I understand the logic behind this approach.

However, just to mention in passing, there is an increasing number of sports/wildlife photographers looking for a solution to be able to accept/reject /rate images on a card and then only injest the selected images to hard disk. 
The driver for this is the emerging cameras shooting 30 x50 MB frames per second.  Copying the entire card to disk to enable PM to do its thing requires a lot of i/o. Most of this i/o is wasted as only a small (but important) number of images will be selected.

PM6 does offer an Ingest from Selection option, but it does not eliminate writes to the card if you make edits to the images.  To do what you're requesting, we'd have to keep track of what would be written (and not write) and then when the images are copied, update them at the destination.  Any edits that were not ingested would be lost.

I was very happy with PM for a long time, until PM began to reset the sequential reference number to zero. I reported the issue at the time, but could not get a solution.   This was mission critical to my workflow.  I wrote my own Injest app to get around the problem.

The sequence number should only reset when directed by the user, or if the number format chosen by the user wraps around.  Did you have some other problem?

-Kirk

Offline gnits

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2021, 01:45:03 PM »
Thanks for your prompt reply.

I have kept my licence up to date, keep an eye on any new features, etc.  I have tested the “Selected” option and like the idea. At the time I was not trying to solve the high volume selection issue.

By responding as you have, you have saved me the hassle of testing the flagging of images from a card scenario…. Appreciated.

I was hoping your “Plus” database features would provide options to remember what images had been flagged for Injestion…  I have not explored those features yet and not sure of the potential.

I have some thoughts on how I might advise photographers on how to solve this issue… but nothing as elegant and as ergonomic as I think this process deserves to be.

Regards.