Author Topic: Color coding of folder directory disappears after shut down  (Read 7669 times)

Offline mbundrock

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Color coding of folder directory disappears after shut down
« on: August 22, 2013, 06:46:16 AM »
I'm currently on a demo version of PM5, until my new machine arrives at work and we purchase and install it there.

Are there any limited features with the demo version?
I am trying to color label the folder directory on the left, as I'm applying an IPTC pad to many many sub folders. But when I close PM and reopen, all my color label work is gone. (the folders are still color labeled in Finder)

and to this point... is there a way to apply an IPTC stationary pad across multiple folders? (other than opening up each on into the same contact sheet, and then applying it?)

thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Color coding of folder directory disappears after shut down
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 07:20:03 AM »
I'm currently on a demo version of PM5, until my new machine arrives at work and we purchase and install it there.

Are there any limited features with the demo version?

No.  The trial version is full featured.

I am trying to color label the folder directory on the left, as I'm applying an IPTC pad to many many sub folders. But when I close PM and reopen, all my color label work is gone. (the folders are still color labeled in Finder)

That's odd.  PM doesn't store the color information separately.  It calls a function in the OS to set the color and another to read the color.  If the Finder is showing your change permanently then so should Photo Mechanic.  What Mac OS X version are you running?

and to this point... is there a way to apply an IPTC stationary pad across multiple folders? (other than opening up each on into the same contact sheet, and then applying it?)

Photo Mechanic in general only works with images that are open for browsing.  Exceptions to this are Ingest and Live Ingest which import images.

You can open multiple folders into the same contact sheet tab, or you can open folders into their own contact sheet tab.  Opening up multiple folders into the same contact sheet tab is not a requirement.

-Kirk

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 11:53:39 AM »

That's odd.  PM doesn't store the color information separately.  It calls a function in the OS to set the color and another to read the color.  If the Finder is showing your change permanently then so should Photo Mechanic

Probably working on mounted / networked folders?
Then you have to open the folders to see the color classes.

Sven
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline mbundrock

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 12:02:40 PM »

Probably working on mounted / networked folders?
Then you have to open the folders to see the color classes.

Yes, these are networked folders... but the color labeling I'm doing is not per individual photo inside the folders, it's to the folders themselves. I saw a post about this in a tutorial, and find it super useful to color code folders right in PM, I have a large project that will take many days to finish. The post didn't mention anything about all the labeling only being temporary.

Offline mbundrock

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 12:04:43 PM »
What Mac OS X version are you running?

10.6.8. Is this due to the fact that they are networked folders?? and when I break the network connection it loses that info?

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 12:05:38 PM »
Labeling IS permanent and you will not loose it...

On the folder-List just open a few of the subfolders you color coded.
The color will appear then.

Sven

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 12:11:29 PM »
Just see the attached video...

My folders are located in the network, too...

Sven

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline mbundrock

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 12:45:32 PM »
On the folder-List just open a few of the subfolders you color coded.
The color will appear then.

ahhh yes, indeed... a bit cumbersome, as the point is a quick visual reference to what is colored and what is not... I still have to click each folder, not ideal, but better than nothing.
Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 01:32:04 PM »
In the Navigator Preferences (just right-click on any item and choose Preferences) you can set it to recursively read folders on networked volumes.  This will result in the color labels always showing up at the significant expense of speed since networked drives are slow for getting file system metadata.

-Kirk

Offline mbundrock

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 02:07:56 PM »
In the Navigator Preferences (just right-click on any item and choose Preferences) you can set it to recursively read folders on networked volumes.  This will result in the color labels always showing up at the significant expense of speed since networked drives are slow for getting file system metadata.

-Kirk

Thanks Kirk. Yeah, this group of folders is huge... so this may be ideal to let load and then grab some coffee. But good to know!!