Author Topic: files vanished from computer  (Read 3547 times)

Offline Artmate

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
files vanished from computer
« on: August 22, 2013, 07:13:44 AM »
I have just renamed a batch of 18 photos. This is the first time I've ever needed to rename photos. They were all color classed orange. After renaming they have all disappeared, completely. This is about as serious as a problem can get, and I really need a quick answer. Many thanks. Steve

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: files vanished from computer
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 07:22:16 AM »
I have just renamed a batch of 18 photos. This is the first time I've ever needed to rename photos. They were all color classed orange. After renaming they have all disappeared, completely. This is about as serious as a problem can get, and I really need a quick answer. Many thanks. Steve

What OS are you on?  If it is Mac OS X, did you perhaps rename them with a leading period ( . )?  Doing so on Mac OS X marks them as a hidden file.

Could you post a screen shot of your Rename dialog showing your renaming string?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Artmate

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 08:19:33 AM »
Kirk,
Yes, that seems to definitely be the case. I've just checked and it looks like the new name started  "._" and then the original file number and a new numbering series. I am using Mac X.6.8 So they must be around somewhere, how should I look for them?
Thanks
Steve

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 08:41:11 AM »
Steve,

Yes, that seems to definitely be the case. I've just checked and it looks like the new name started  "._" and then the original file number and a new numbering series. I am using Mac X.6.8 So they must be around somewhere, how should I look for them?

If you know what folder they were in and you can find that folder in the Finder then you can use the Terminal (command line prompt) to rename them.  Open up a Terminal window by opening up the Terminal application from the Utilities folder within the Applications folder.  When the window opens, type:

cd (followed by a space and don't hit enter)

Then switch back to the Finder, select and drag the folder containing the images onto the Terminal window.  The Terminal should respond by typing in the full path to your folder for you.  Switch back to the Terminal window.  Hit enter.  Your current directory should now be the folder containing the hidden images.

Now to see them you can type:

ls -al

and hit enter.  This will show a long directory listing, showing all files, including those that begin with a period.

Identify your missing files in the list.  If there are only a few of them you can manually rename them.  The Terminal supports copy and paste so select one of the filenames and copy it (Command-C).  Then enter:

mv (paste with Command-V) new_name

where new_name is the name you now want that hidden file to be renamed into.  You can paste again and use the cursor keys to move back to the leading period and backspace over it, thus removing it, or you can enter an entirely new name.

If there are dozens or hundreds of names, then please let me know and I'll give you instructions on how to fix them in bulk.

I will be changing the Copy/Rename/Ingest/Live Ingest/inline rename on the Contact Sheet to keep users from making this mistake in the next build of Photo Mechanic 5.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 09:33:58 AM »
Steve,

You can rename all files starting with ._ with this:

for file in \._*; do mv "$file" "${file:1}"; done

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Artmate

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 10:00:43 AM »
Kirk, Thanks for your detailed instructions. Unfortunately I have found the files in Terminal, have renamed the first one, but I don't quite understand how it will migrate to the original folder or any other folder. I hit copy over the new name, having cancelled the old one, but then I don't see it in the original folder nor can I command paste it in there. Seeing as there are about 18 I think, it would be good to know how to do this in a batch too.
Thanks
Steve

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 10:52:09 AM »
Steve,

See my previous post.  It will remove the leading period from all filenames that start with ._

Once completed your files should show up in the Finder and in Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (7102) | macOS 14.4.1
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 01:34:37 PM »
If you have the FTP program Transmit you can view hidden files through it.

I haven't tried it but this little program is made to toggle the visibility of hidden files:
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/25872/invisiblix

After you can see them you can manually rename them to remove the leading "." from the name.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 03:18:31 PM »
Hi,
muCommander will also show hidden files.
http://www.mucommander.com/#download
HTH,

-Luiz Muzzi