Author Topic: Apply IPTC for distinguished news agencies  (Read 2702 times)

Offline leonardomota

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Apply IPTC for distinguished news agencies
« on: August 24, 2013, 05:05:58 PM »
Hello,

I searched here in the forum but found nothing related ...

I send photos to two news agencies, and besides having caption formats distinguished, they work in different languages​​, one of them I write the caption in English, at the other in Portuguese.

Currently I have exported the photos of Lr in two separate folders, often with the same images, and then apply the IPTC template for each agency in respective folder, the problem is that I end up duplicating the images and I have to make the caption twice.

So my question is, is it possible to do this more optimally? How do you usually do when you have a similar situation where do you have to create the IPTC differently depending on the recipient of the photos?

Best regards

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Apply IPTC for distinguished news agencies
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 05:52:12 PM »
If the captions of all of the photos for each language are exactly the same then you can simply apply an IPTC Stationery Pad for each language while you upload them.  If each photo needs a custom caption then there is no easy way.

What situation are you in?

-Kirk

Offline leonardomota

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 06:52:52 PM »
I have a IPTC Stationary Pad for each language, and apply it, the problem is the caption, each photo needs a custom caption, my question is more related to the need of have the images duplicated, but I think that there's no easy way to do that. Only if we can assign more than one IPTC data for a image, and then on Export choose the IPTC data of the export, but I don't think there's this feature on PM.

Regards.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 07:31:07 PM »
I have a IPTC Stationary Pad for each language, and apply it, the problem is the caption, each photo needs a custom caption, my question is more related to the need of have the images duplicated, but I think that there's no easy way to do that. Only if we can assign more than one IPTC data for a image, and then on Export choose the IPTC data of the export, but I don't think there's this feature on PM.

Nor really with any other application.  For most image types, the metadata goes in the image.  On RAW files it is optional to use an XMP sidecar file but since it resides in the same directory as the image itself you can't have more than one.

If each image has to have a custom caption you'll have to duplicate the images.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 04:25:32 AM »
Hi,
I myself would apply only my basic IPTC data when ingesting and leave the captions for the IPTC Info dialogue. When uploading I would use the option "Save, Upload & move to the next photo". Of course this would have to be done twice with each photo in order to apply the specific caption and to send to the specific news agency. This way I would avoid duplicating the files.
HTH,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline leonardomota

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 12:01:35 AM »
Thanks Luiz Muzzi, this is a great alternative, since I have to do this twice anyway, that way I don't have to get duplicate files.

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 06:30:28 AM »
Thanks Luiz Muzzi, this is a great alternative, since I have to do this twice anyway, that way I don't have to get duplicate files.

But with Luiz's method, if the people you send your images to were to somehow lose the images after you upload them, you may have to find and caption them again.  With the duplicates, you'd only have to resend them.  You wouldn't have to remember what you wrote in your caption.

If this is expected to never happen then yes, you could write over one language caption with another.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 04:36:46 AM »

But with Luiz's method, if the people you send your images to were to somehow lose the images after you upload them, you may have to find and caption them again.  With the duplicates, you'd only have to resend them.  You wouldn't have to remember what you wrote in your caption.

If this is expected to never happen then yes, you could write over one language caption with another.

-Kirk

Depending on the case, it would be safer and quicker to have duplicates of the files. At least you would always know what you have sent them.
Another thing to consider is that it is very easy to duplicate files with PM (using the Copy command). If necessary, you can also use different drives to keep files sent to different news agencies.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi