Author Topic: Photo Mechanic.. sorting in progress  (Read 4734 times)

Offline larryt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photo Mechanic.. sorting in progress
« on: September 06, 2013, 11:26:08 AM »
Mac 10.7.5, PM 4.6.5.......... after setting idle and going back to pm program wants to sort and have to shut down computer manually. Other programs will not operate as well. larryt
Any solution?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photo Mechanic.. sorting in progress
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 01:40:01 PM »
Mac 10.7.5, PM 4.6.5.......... after setting idle and going back to pm program wants to sort and have to shut down computer manually. Other programs will not operate as well. larryt
Any solution?

PM 4.6.5 is not compatible with Mac OS X 10.7+ so please get PM 4.6.9.  It is a free update.

http://camerabits.com/download/PhotoMechanic4.6.9.dmg.gz

-Kirk

Offline larryt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 01:48:08 PM »
Sorry for the wrong info..... I am currently using V. 4.6.9.
I have the same problem of PM wanting to sort. The bottom of screen says.. sorting in progress

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 02:30:59 PM »
Sorry for the wrong info..... I am currently using V. 4.6.9.
I have the same problem of PM wanting to sort. The bottom of screen says.. sorting in progress

Well then you'll have to tell me more information.  What kind of sort are you doing?  Anything other than filename or modification time sorts are compute and disk access intensive.

How many images are in your folder?  Where are the images stored?  A local hard drive or on a network drive?  Network drives are noted for their lack of speed in reading file system metadata and small reads, both of which are necessary for obtaining metadata from images.

-Kirk

Offline larryt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 06:39:16 PM »
Images are stored on a Lacie external drive but I am not trying to sort anything I am only resuming editing. The PM indicates on lower left that sorting is in progress.. the first thing I see is the spinning ball then I try force quit but then it won't quit.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 07:39:19 PM »
Images are stored on a Lacie external drive but I am not trying to sort anything I am only resuming editing. The PM indicates on lower left that sorting is in progress.. the first thing I see is the spinning ball then I try force quit but then it won't quit.

Each time you switch back into PM it scans all of the folders you're browsing (otherwise it wouldn't know about new files, deleted files, or modified files) and when the scan completes, it sorts all of the images in all of the open contact sheets, depending on your sort type, this can take some time to complete.

-Kirk

Offline larryt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 04:28:01 PM »
I have let it scan all night and the wheel is still spinning. Sometimes it doesn't say sorting it is just stuck with the spinning wheel.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 04:44:02 PM »
I have let it scan all night and the wheel is still spinning. Sometimes it doesn't say sorting it is just stuck with the spinning wheel.

Does this happen only with specific folders that you're browsing?  Have you checked your disk with the Disk Utility application?

Another thing you can try is to reset your preferences.  There is a thread in this message board (it's a sticky post at the top) that explains how to start over with your preferences.  They're PM5-centric but most of the instructions still apply to PM 4.6.x.

If neither of these approaches fix your issue, then I suggest contacting our tech support folks via telephone and they'll troubleshoot the issue with you.  +1 503-547-2888, M-F 9AM-5PM PST.

-Kirk

Offline larryt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 08:39:26 PM »
re-set preferences and works now.... thank you, larryt