Author Topic: Hopefully a simple one that would mean SO MUCH  (Read 9203 times)

Offline PerroneFord

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • PTFPhoto - Sports, Fashion, Swimwear
Hopefully a simple one that would mean SO MUCH
« on: September 13, 2013, 05:47:46 PM »
Guys, I've just started using your software full time now and after finding the Save -> Upload -> advance, I thought I was going to be in heaven.  Until I tried it.  So let me ask if this is possible, and I feel this is going to be a growing need.  I have gone to a "Dropbox/Cloud" delivery method for my organization.  The editors prefer it, it's faster than me using FTP, and I can personalize things to a specific editor. 

Would it be possible to have the Save -> Upload -> Advance have an option to just write to a folder on the drive?  That's really all I need.  Dropbox takes care of the internet delivery.  I just need a way to have the software write my cropped file to a designated folder on the drive. Right now, I have to do a "save as" when I finish editing, and everything goes slowly in batch mode.  If I could do it incrementally, then files would begin appearing VERY quickly to my editors as I am working.

Thanks very much for your consideration

-Perrone Ford
Photographer - Florida State U.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Hopefully a simple one that would mean SO MUCH
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 09:32:00 PM »
Guys, I've just started using your software full time now and after finding the Save -> Upload -> advance, I thought I was going to be in heaven.  Until I tried it.  So let me ask if this is possible, and I feel this is going to be a growing need.  I have gone to a "Dropbox/Cloud" delivery method for my organization.  The editors prefer it, it's faster than me using FTP, and I can personalize things to a specific editor. 

Would it be possible to have the Save -> Upload -> Advance have an option to just write to a folder on the drive?  That's really all I need.  Dropbox takes care of the internet delivery.  I just need a way to have the software write my cropped file to a designated folder on the drive. Right now, I have to do a "save as" when I finish editing, and everything goes slowly in batch mode.  If I could do it incrementally, then files would begin appearing VERY quickly to my editors as I am working.

Nothing that the IPTC Info dialog does requires a "Save As" operation.  When it saves the IPTC/XMP data, the operation is complete.  So what you'd need is either something that detects that the file has changed which causes the upload, or you'd need a "move" operation that would move the file to another folder.  Or just use the built-in uploaders to get to your final destination.

-Kirk

Offline PerroneFord

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 09:51:33 PM »
Sorry, I didn't see this sooner and not sure my question got addressed.  I follow you on the IPTC updates not requiring a save, but unless I misunderstand, I can't apply a crop to the image that way.  I believe I need a save for that, correct?  If so, then what I want is to have the Save, Upload -> Advance feature write a *cropped* image into a designated folder much as "Save photos as.." does. 

Thanks again.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 12:00:32 AM »
Sorry, I didn't see this sooner and not sure my question got addressed.  I follow you on the IPTC updates not requiring a save, but unless I misunderstand, I can't apply a crop to the image that way.  I believe I need a save for that, correct?  If so, then what I want is to have the Save, Upload -> Advance feature write a *cropped* image into a designated folder much as "Save photos as.." does.

To apply a crop, yes, either a save as operation or some other output operation would need to be performed (upload, export, print, save as) but as you said earlier, the batch save is slow.  If the IPTC Info dialog were to run a save as before you could move onto your next image, you would have to wait for the output of each image before being able to caption the next image.  I think in practice this would be too great of an interruption to be useful.

Perhaps a better option would be to create an uploader template that works with your drop box service instead of forcing the IPTC Info dialog to perform a Save As operation.

-Kirk

Offline PerroneFord

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 06:04:58 PM »
Ok, thanks for your consideration.

Offline hsaphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 11:53:34 AM »
Perhaps a better option would be to create an uploader template that works with your drop box service instead of forcing the IPTC Info dialog to perform a Save As operation.

I second that idea.

Hugo

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 10:49:03 AM »
I'm not sure I understand the request here.

I use dropbox all the time.  But it just presents itself as another folder on my desktop. 

There is no reason I could not store all my images there... and share folders across the cloud as appropriate.    Of course, whoever you shared with would get the entire image, along with the crop notation stored in the XMP file.   You probably don't want that.

You could crop and edit to your hearts delight, and then "Save as.." to your local drop box, where dropbox then syncs to their servers, and makes the share operation happen.   I've done this approach fairly often -- and convert to SRGB at the same.  I never send out anything other than SRGB because people won't know what to do with them.  People's eyes glaze over fast when I talk about color space.

I'm not seeing any new feature in PM that would make this any easier.

Offline PerroneFord

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 11:17:30 PM »

For the purpose of clarification, I'll offer an example. 

Let's say for example (This actually happened this week) that I am shooting a game on location, and and editor in another city is waiting for my post game images.  This could be a wire service, a school waiting to update it's twitter feed/FB page, etc.  Where speed is more of the essence than getting 25 photos in batch.  In this case, I had established a dropbox folder with the editor. 

After the game, I go to the press room.  My laptop is ready to go, card reader is good to go, metadata template is ready to go.  I update the final score in the stationery pad, and insert my card.  Images come up, I apply the pad to all images.  I then filter by "tagged" photos which shows me a few key images I tagged in camera during the game.  Let's say there are 10 images tagged.

At this moment, what I *want* to do, is to crop and straighten the first image, and save it to the dropbox.  Then edit a second image, and save it to the dropbox.  Perhaps do that with 3-5 images.  The purpose here is to feed the editor a few immediate images very quickly that they can run.  The alternative that I do now, is to crop/straighten all 3-5 photos, jump back to the contact sheet, highlight those, do a save as, and save them to the dropbox. 

It was noted earlier in the thread that if I did an save > upload on a per image basis, I'd have to wait for that operation to complete before I could move to the next image.  In the dropbox paradigm, this would take less than 2 seconds to complete.  I'd be willing to do that.  If a process could be spawned in the background to handle the task, I'd never even have to see or worry about this, and there would be no delay in moving to the next image.  However, I realized after posting this initially, that the idea would likely not gain any traction, so I just let it go.  I just work around the issue by editing 2 photos initially, and submitting them, and then going back and processing normally.  It's the best  I can do.

I hope that helps clarify things a bit.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 05:52:06 AM »

For the purpose of clarification, I'll offer an example. 

At this moment, what I *want* to do, is to crop and straighten the first image, and save it to the dropbox.  Then edit a second image, and save it to the dropbox.  Perhaps do that with 3-5 images.  The purpose here is to feed the editor a few immediate images very quickly that they can run.  The alternative that I do now, is to crop/straighten all 3-5 photos, jump back to the contact sheet, highlight those, do a save as, and save them to the dropbox. 

What does "save it to the dropbox" entail?  How does one save to this "dropbox"?  Is the "dropbox" a folder on your file system, or is it some service in the cloud that has to be uploaded to?

-Kirk

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 06:24:16 AM »
Dropbox is a folder on your file system, that replicates via cloud to the dropbox.com website, and to the same folder on your second (or Nth) computer, as well as trusted friends.

So in this case, it seems that Peronne wants to share dropbox folder  with her editor. (or, more likely, a sub folder).

I think that this request is a bit of a parallel to the ingest location -- you get a primary location, as well as a secondary location when ingesting files.   This request (I think) is a request to save to a second location after making edits.  The second location could be anything, such as a shared dropbox folder.   

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 09:19:24 AM »
The alternative that I do now, is to crop/straighten all 3-5 photos, jump back to the contact sheet, highlight those, do a save as, and save them to the dropbox.

No need to return to the contact sheet.  Just press 's' while in the Preview window and the Save As dialog will appear.  Do that first save as to your dropbox folder.  Then on the next photo(s) hold down the Modifier key (Shift on Windows, Option on Mac) and press 's'.  The Save As operation will begin (with the same settings as the first Save As) without showing the full UI.  A progress dialog will appear (it can't be avoided) but it will go away fairly quickly and you can move on to your next image.

Given this capability is this satisfactory?

-Kirk

Offline PerroneFord

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 08:28:49 AM »
The alternative that I do now, is to crop/straighten all 3-5 photos, jump back to the contact sheet, highlight those, do a save as, and save them to the dropbox.

No need to return to the contact sheet.  Just press 's' while in the Preview window and the Save As dialog will appear.  Do that first save as to your dropbox folder.  Then on the next photo(s) hold down the Modifier key (Shift on Windows, Option on Mac) and press 's'.  The Save As operation will begin (with the same settings as the first Save As) without showing the full UI.  A progress dialog will appear (it can't be avoided) but it will go away fairly quickly and you can move on to your next image.

-Kirk

Kirk, I'm not in front of my machine with PM on it, but let me try this tonight and I'll report back.  If you're saying what I *think* you are saying, it should work great!

Thanks for staying with this, and sorry if my initial comments weren't clear.  I incorrectly assumed most people would be familiar with how Dropbox work, and that was a poor assumption on my part. 

As an aside, you might want to take a look at leveraging these cloud-based delivery systems as I find they are beginning to replace older delivery mechanisms.  In 2 years, I've only once been asked to do FTP, but have been asked numerous times to do Dropbox.  Some still ask for email, but that is getting more rare.

Offline PerroneFord

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 08:41:29 PM »
BOOM!

This was EXACTLY what I needed.  Thank you so much!  This will save an incredible amount of time in my deliveries.

-P

-Kirk