Author Topic: Person Shown  (Read 6046 times)

Offline fotograhn

• View Profile
Person Shown
« on: September 05, 2013, 02:24:54 AM »
I always leave a gap, a blank space, between all words and all punctuations in the fields "Persons shown" and "Keywords". Using variables {persons} and {keywords} I then transfer the same information to the Caption field, simply because all (Swedish) editorial system does not support searching in the "Persons" or "Keywords" fields in their internal image banks, where my images are delivered to.

The problem is that the editors are lazy and only searches for exact spelling match, which means that when the comma is joined to the word, they have to look for even the comma to find my images - which is not always the case.

My request is therefore that Photo Mechanic does not truncate the spaces, at least not in the Persons shown or Keywords fields.

Thanks in advance!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Person Shown
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 06:36:26 AM »
I always leave a gap, a blank space, between all words and all punctuations in the fields "Persons shown" and "Keywords". Using variables {persons} and {keywords} I then transfer the same information to the Caption field, simply because all (Swedish) editorial system does not support searching in the "Persons" or "Keywords" fields in their internal image banks, where my images are delivered to.

The problem is that the editors are lazy and only searches for exact spelling match, which means that when the comma is joined to the word, they have to look for even the comma to find my images - which is not always the case.

My request is therefore that Photo Mechanic does not truncate the spaces, at least not in the Persons shown or Keywords fields.

In the image metadata (XMP) the items are individual items in a list.  There are no commas.  There are no spaces.

What software are they using to perform their searches?

-Kirk

Offline fotograhn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 12:11:03 PM »
Thanks for your prompt reply.

I think at least one of the major newspaper publishers here in Sweden (Bonnier) has developed their own database, but apparently did a lousy job as their editors are only able to search the "Caption" field, and only strict matches appears in their search results. That's why I have to fill it with so much information. If they search for "Svensson" my images are not visible as Bonniers search engine interpret my text as "Svensson,".

Let me put it this way: I would prefer if Photo Mechanic kept a space between any words and/or punctuations when the information from "Persons shown" and "Keywords" are transferred to the "Caption" field with the variables "persons" respective "keywords".

Pretty please ;)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 01:07:34 PM »
Thanks for your prompt reply.

I think at least one of the major newspaper publishers here in Sweden (Bonnier) has developed their own database, but apparently did a lousy job as their editors are only able to search the "Caption" field, and only strict matches appears in their search results. That's why I have to fill it with so much information. If they search for "Svensson" my images are not visible as Bonniers search engine interpret my text as "Svensson,".

Let me put it this way: I would prefer if Photo Mechanic kept a space between any words and/or punctuations when the information from "Persons shown" and "Keywords" are transferred to the "Caption" field with the variables "persons" respective "keywords".

Pretty please ;)

It can't.  PM doesn't preserve your spaces in the metadata since the metadata for keywords is just a list of items with no punctuation or spacing whatsoever.  It is by design of the people who created the IPTC/XMP standards for keywords to be a list of items with no punctuation whatsoever.

It sounds like to me that their search utility doesn't search the list of keywords and only searches the caption/description field and that it only supports exact matching or at the very least, it has a broken tokenizer and would consider "keyword1, keyword2, keyword3," as the tokens "keyword1," "keyword2," and "keyword3," which in my mind is completely broken.

-Kirk

Offline fotograhn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 02:57:41 PM »
Ok, would it be possible to have Photo Mechanic save also the space in that list? Without truncating the space when saving to XMP. I have manually entered a space after the two names but the spaces are removed/truncated when I'm recalling the information to the Caption field by variable "Persons" and "Keywords".

The list could look like this: (note the spaces after doe and did)

<rdf:Bag>
<rdf:li>john doe </rdf:li>
<rdf:li>jane did </rdf:li>
</rdf:Bag>

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 03:11:49 PM »
Ok, would it be possible to have Photo Mechanic save also the space in that list? Without truncating the space when saving to XMP. I have manually entered a space after the two names but the spaces are removed/truncated when I'm recalling the information to the Caption field by variable "Persons" and "Keywords".

The list could look like this: (note the spaces after doe and did)

<rdf:Bag>
<rdf:li>john doe </rdf:li>
<rdf:li>jane did </rdf:li>
</rdf:Bag>

No.  We're not going to do that.  Even if we did, if you were to use some other software, the spaces would likely be removed anyway.

-Kirk