Author Topic: Color management issue with Windows 7 64-bit (PM5)  (Read 5801 times)

Offline riecks

• Beta Testers
  • Newcomer
    • View Profile
Color management issue with Windows 7 64-bit (PM5)
« on: September 19, 2013, 10:30:43 PM »
I'm having a color management issue with Windows 7 64-bit -- which only occurs when I use the "slideshow feature" [update check says I'm running current version -- v5.0 build 13915 (a16ea99)]

When I run the "slide show" feature (Control+L) I notice that the images appear a bit washed out. I hit the escape key to go back to the thumbnail view to see if there was something going on (I thought it might be whether it was using the JPEG or RAW to render) I  noticed that all of the thumbnails now had a "wiped-out" appearance as well. Indeed, any program running on this computer now had this washed out appearance.

The appearance was similar to that when I first start my "color profiling" with my Eye One Display 2 when it removes my color management settings, right before re-profiling -- so it seems that something that PM5 is doing when it starts up the slide show feature is wiping out or over-riding my color management for the entire machine!

I restarted the machine and all programs looked fine again. I restarted and was able to double click on a thumbnail in PM5 and the previews appear fine. It's only when I use the Slide Show feature that this continues to happen.

I then tried checking the preferences, and under the Color Management tab there were a couple of options. I changed the "Default ICC Profile if undetermined" from sRGB to "No Default Profile" but left the options for Color Manage thumbnails for display and "color manage previews for display" both checked.  There doesn't seem to be a pref specifically for the slide show feature, so not sure what to do (except refrain from using the slide show feature).

Is there another setting I'm missing? Should I uncheck the boxes noted above (I don't' think so, as the thumbs and previews have been appearing fine -- until after I run the slide show feature).

This is a real PITA as it requires a restart of the computer to get the colors back to normal.

I did find that I can go to Start >> Control Panel >> Color Management and then force the machine to choose the ICC color profile I created with my "EyeOne display2" device, by using the "Set as Default Profile" button. However this trick only works once. If I run the slide show in PM5 a second time, then I have to completley restart the machine to get my colors looking right (not just in Photo Mechanic, but all programs).

Any suggestions?

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Color management issue with Windows 7 64-bit (PM5)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 07:12:23 AM »
David,

I'm having a color management issue with Windows 7 64-bit -- which only occurs when I use the "slideshow feature" [update check says I'm running current version -- v5.0 build 13915 (a16ea99)]

When I run the "slide show" feature (Control+L) I notice that the images appear a bit washed out. I hit the escape key to go back to the thumbnail view to see if there was something going on (I thought it might be whether it was using the JPEG or RAW to render) I  noticed that all of the thumbnails now had a "wiped-out" appearance as well. Indeed, any program running on this computer now had this washed out appearance.

The appearance was similar to that when I first start my "color profiling" with my Eye One Display 2 when it removes my color management settings, right before re-profiling -- so it seems that something that PM5 is doing when it starts up the slide show feature is wiping out or over-riding my color management for the entire machine!

I restarted the machine and all programs looked fine again. I restarted and was able to double click on a thumbnail in PM5 and the previews appear fine. It's only when I use the Slide Show feature that this continues to happen.

I then tried checking the preferences, and under the Color Management tab there were a couple of options. I changed the "Default ICC Profile if undetermined" from sRGB to "No Default Profile" but left the options for Color Manage thumbnails for display and "color manage previews for display" both checked.  There doesn't seem to be a pref specifically for the slide show feature, so not sure what to do (except refrain from using the slide show feature).

Is there another setting I'm missing? Should I uncheck the boxes noted above (I don't' think so, as the thumbs and previews have been appearing fine -- until after I run the slide show feature).

This is a real PITA as it requires a restart of the computer to get the colors back to normal.

I did find that I can go to Start >> Control Panel >> Color Management and then force the machine to choose the ICC color profile I created with my "EyeOne display2" device, by using the "Set as Default Profile" button. However this trick only works once. If I run the slide show in PM5 a second time, then I have to completley restart the machine to get my colors looking right (not just in Photo Mechanic, but all programs).

Any suggestions?

It is likely the SDL library is causing this side effect.  We'll look into the problem.

Until we can solve the problem or use a different library to drive the slide show, discontinue its use.

-Kirk

Offline riecks

• Beta Testers
  • Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 04:27:42 PM »
Kirk:  I was hoping the latest build of v5, 15451 would have fixed this problem, but when I tested after installing I had the same problem as previous.  The color profile that was applied appears to be lost/replaced, and the images wash out.

Is this anything you've been able to replicate?  Do you need more info from me?  I'd love to have this feature back.

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 04:55:43 PM »
David,

Kirk:  I was hoping the latest build of v5, 15451 would have fixed this problem, but when I tested after installing I had the same problem as previous.  The color profile that was applied appears to be lost/replaced, and the images wash out.

Is this anything you've been able to replicate?  Do you need more info from me?  I'd love to have this feature back.

Is your color management problem limited to the slide show?  We have made no changes to the slide show.

-Kirk

Offline riecks

• Beta Testers
  • Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 03:54:31 PM »
Kirk:

The behavior I mentioned back in September is the same, but I will point out that this has been the same behavior since I first noted it in v5.0 build 13915 (a16ea99).  I don't recall using it before that time, so don't know if it's something that existed before that version or not. I've been avoiding it's use (as you recommended), but figured since there was a new release I had just installed (and I was going to do a restart and it had been several weeks since I had calibrated), I would test to see if that release, (or a previous one) had provided a fix.

Just wanted to know if this is still on the bug list, or if you have any idea when it might get addressed.

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 04:15:14 PM »
David,

The behavior I mentioned back in September is the same, but I will point out that this has been the same behavior since I first noted it in v5.0 build 13915 (a16ea99).  I don't recall using it before that time, so don't know if it's something that existed before that version or not. I've been avoiding it's use (as you recommended), but figured since there was a new release I had just installed (and I was going to do a restart and it had been several weeks since I had calibrated), I would test to see if that release, (or a previous one) had provided a fix.

Just wanted to know if this is still on the bug list, or if you have any idea when it might get addressed.

A new Slide Show implementation is in the works for the Windows version.  If there are color management problems in the new Slide Show, then we'll fix them.

-Kirk