Author Topic: Viewing Hasselblad Files  (Read 7483 times)

Offline Richard Naismith

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Viewing Hasselblad Files
« on: September 20, 2013, 03:44:04 AM »
Hi,

I'm a Hasselblad user, and I'd appreciate it greatly if Photo Mechanic could view Hasselblad .3fr and .fff files. So far we just see icons with the file extensions on them.

Might it be possible in the future?

All the best.

Richard Naismith

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Viewing Hasselblad Files
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 07:06:42 AM »
Richard,

I'm a Hasselblad user, and I'd appreciate it greatly if Photo Mechanic could view Hasselblad .3fr and .fff files. So far we just see icons with the file extensions on them.

Might it be possible in the future?

The last time we looked into them, the files produced by Hasselblad cameras did not have a JPEG preview contained within them.  Unless this changes, PM won't be supporting them anytime soon.

-Kirk

Offline alexk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 08:19:44 AM »
Is there a reason why the RAW and JPG are not combined when shooting both?

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 08:41:47 AM »
I guess because your .3fr files are not recognised to be an image file (yet). Until that is done, if you turn off showing unknown files a proxy they will at least no longer show.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline jose

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 12:41:20 PM »
As far as I know, 3FR files contain image data that need to be processed to get an FFF file. FFF file is the Hasselblad RAW file format with all calibration data applied.

IPTC, calibration data, HNCS (Hasselblad Natural Colour Solution), etc, are in the *.FFF files, created by Phocus (digital images) or Flexcolor (scanned images).

In macOS I see the image and the preview in "Vista Previa" (I do not know the English translation, it is the program with which macOS visualizes all types of files).

I don't know if it has embedded jpg or macOS supports FFF.

//* edit: this is in the FAQ manual Phocus: *//

>>>
Q. Why are there 3FR and 3F files? Why can’t captures be saved directly as 3F files?
A. 3FRfilesconsistofnativeHasselbladrawdatathatcontainsahugeamountofinformation,particularlywhen compared to 35mm digital files. This is essential to produce the level of quality expected from Hasselblad products. It follows that a good deal of computing power is required to extract the maximum in the shortest pos- sible time. To avoid diverting the camera’s activities to image processing, the combined advantages of Phocus and a workstation are used instead. 3FR files are then processed into a complete and workable raw format that can be saved, adjusted and exported, namely, 3F.

Q. What’s the difference between 3FR and 3F files? Should I keep them all?
A. A3FRfileisthenativerawfilecreatedbyHasselbladcamerasandremainsinthatformatwhenstoredonaCF card. When loaded into Phocus, however, various corrections take place based on the hardware configuration
of the camera used. This processes the 3FR file into a 3F format file and creates a high quality preview (size according to settings in Preferences). As this is an improved and specifically-tuned file, the original 3FR file can be discarded. You may, of course, export 3F files to TIFF, PSD, JPEG etc., and just keep those but if you have the space, retaining the 3F files could be good insurance to be able to re-process sometime in the future.
<<<

saludos,
jose.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 12:58:59 PM by jose »

Offline PhotoBean

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 11:13:56 AM »
Hey there, Adobe Bridge can extract/see the jpegs within .fff files.  So if you want Photo Mechanic to see/extract the jpegs from .fff files, please consider contacting Hasselblad yourself, Kirk.  You are getting paid by the users of Your software, yes? 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2023, 11:39:24 AM »
Greg,

Hey there, Adobe Bridge can extract/see the jpegs within .fff files.  So if you want Photo Mechanic to see/extract the jpegs from .fff files, please consider contacting Hasselblad yourself, Kirk. 

Adobe Bridge is rendering the RAW file.  It is not extracting a JPEG from the RAW file.  The sample Hasselblad RAW files that I have investigated do not contain a usable JPEG preview in them.  The RAW file must be rendered with some sort of RAW rendering engine.  At this time my advice is to either convert them to DNG files or use the Adobe DNG Converter rendering option that we provide in the Preferences dialog.  The former is a one-time operation and will make subsequent browsing very fast. The latter will do the rendering as you view the images and will be quite slow at first, but once the previews are generated, will be fast until the RAW rendering cache is emptied.

-Kirk

Offline PhotoBean

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2023, 07:00:30 PM »
Yes, you are right, of course.  You are a software engineer.  ACDSee.  The list goes on.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2023, 07:15:36 PM »
Greg,

No need to be abusive.  You made an assertion which was incorrect and I provided you with the factual information and gave you advice that would allow you to work with DNG versions of your images that are otherwise unsupported.

We understand that there are many choices in the photography market and we're just but one of them.  We're a very small team and we don't have the resources to create a bespoke RAW rendering system at this time.  We have to weigh the demand vs. cost to support that demand and unfortunately, supporting Hasselblad RAW files is not requested frequently by our users and moreover, the user base of Hasselblad cameras is small.

I hope you understand our reasoning for not supporting RAW files that have no previews in them at this time.

-Kirk
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 08:36:56 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline PhotoBean

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2024, 12:39:07 PM »
Where is Apple getting the jpeg from the raw .fff file?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2024, 11:36:39 AM »
Where is Apple getting the jpeg from the raw .fff file?

At that resolution, it could be using the TIFF thumbnail.  If you can open it with the Preview application and see it in full resolution, then macOS is rendering the RAW file.

-Kirk