Author Topic: Metadata  (Read 12329 times)

Offline fotograhn

• View Profile
Metadata
« on: September 25, 2013, 11:57:05 AM »
I've been thinking about the use of the words IPTC and XMP throughout the software. From a purely semantic perspective, should the more inclusive term metadata be used instead in some cases.

For example in the Preferences, I think a section should be called "Metadata" instead of "IPTC / XMP". And "IPTC Stationery Pad" and "IPTC Info Dialog" should perhaps be referred "Metadata Stationery Pad" and "Metadata Info Dialog".

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Metadata
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 12:50:18 PM »
I've been thinking about the use of the words IPTC and XMP throughout the software. From a purely semantic perspective, should the more inclusive term metadata be used instead in some cases.

For example in the Preferences, I think a section should be called "Metadata" instead of "IPTC / XMP". And "IPTC Stationery Pad" and "IPTC Info Dialog" should perhaps be referred "Metadata Stationery Pad" and "Metadata Info Dialog".

We may do that as the term IPTC diminishes in common use.  XMP is just a container for many types of metadata, including fields that were only represented in the IPTC binary format.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 04:38:50 AM »
Hi,
I think this tab is the most difficult one for the average user to grasp. Anything that can be done to help clarify its functionalities will be most welcomed.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 06:01:31 AM »
Luiz,

I think this tab is the most difficult one for the average user to grasp. Anything that can be done to help clarify its functionalities will be most welcomed.

The next build will have built-in snapshots for the most common workflows (Lightroom, Aperture, Capture NX, etc.)

-Kirk

Offline fotograhn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 02:14:52 AM »
The next build will have built-in snapshots for the most common workflows (Lightroom, Aperture, Capture NX, etc.)
-Kirk

+1

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 03:17:16 AM »
Luiz,

-Kirk

Great news, Kirk.
Perhaps Digital Photo Professional could be included, too.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 06:29:13 AM »
Luiz,

Great news, Kirk.

Sure.  If you can send me a snapshot of works best for you, I'd be happy to add it.  Does DPP support color labels?  If so, send me a snapshot of your color class settings as well.  You can post them to this message.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 04:48:21 AM »
Luiz,

Great news, Kirk.

Sure.  If you can send me a snapshot of works best for you, I'd be happy to add it.  Does DPP support color labels?  If so, send me a snapshot of your color class settings as well.  You can post them to this message.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Thanks, Kirk
I will post what my settings are right now...it seems to work fine.
DPP does not support color labels, but it does have star ratings (1 to 5) and check marks (1 to 5). Perhaps there could be some kind of setting that would translate the color labels that PM applies as check marks of DPP?
TIA,

-Luiz Muzzi

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 06:28:51 AM »
Luiz,

Great news, Kirk.

Thanks, Kirk
DPP does not support color labels, but it does have star ratings (1 to 5) and check marks (1 to 5). Perhaps there could be some kind of setting that would translate the color labels that PM applies as check marks of DPP?

I was really just looking for a snapshot file, not a screen shot, but it will do. ;)

Does DPP store its ratings and check marks in XMP or some other data?  If you don't know, you could just send us some CR2 files that you have set ratings and check marks on in DPP and we can investigate further.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline syncrasy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
I was really just looking for a snapshot file [...]

I've never heard of a "snapshot file" before and am not sure what a snapshot file of the Capture NX workflow would look like. Is it a file that holds preferences that can be imported? Can you provide a quick explanation for laymen such as myself?
-- Mark

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (6890) | macOS 14.3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 11:14:42 AM »
The Snapshots are in the little "lightning bolt" menu at the bottom left of the various dialogs. They allow you to save a "snapshot" of the current values in that window for quickly loading later.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline syncrasy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 11:28:11 AM »
The Snapshots are in the little "lightning bolt" menu at the bottom left of the various dialogs. They allow you to save a "snapshot" of the current values in that window for quickly loading later.

Ahhhh, thanks, Kevin. My fault for not being more familiar with PM (I don't use PM yet).
-- Mark

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 04:35:53 AM »
Luiz,

Great news, Kirk.

Thanks, Kirk

I was really just looking for a snapshot file, not a screen shot, but it will do. ;)

Does DPP store its ratings and check marks in XMP or some other data?  If you don't know, you could just send us some CR2 files that you have set ratings and check marks on in DPP and we can investigate further.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Hi, Kirk
Sorry, I did not notice you asked for a snapshot file.
I will send you two CR2 files: one with ratings and check marks set on in DPP only and one also with color codes set in PM. Could you send me directions to upload the files by personal message?
TIA,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 06:11:02 AM »
Luiz,

I am sending you a personal message with upload instructions.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 05:00:29 AM »
Hi, Kirk
Thank you for the uploading instructions.
I have just sent the files and their names are as follows:
Flowers-2013_07_26_16202400
Flowers-2013_07_26_16221900
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi