Author Topic: Code Replacement on Trial Demo - Not working - What am I doing wrong?  (Read 3461 times)

Offline dude

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I downloaded and installed the Trial Demo of Photo Mechanic today. Code replacement seems very straight forward except that I cannot get it working.

Mac 10.8.5
Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 13915 (a16ea99)
Text file attached (created with Text Wrangler v 4.5.3 (3310))

From the Edit>Settings>Set Code Replacements menu I "Add" the Test.txt file then hit "Ok".
I then click on the "i" icon in the bottom left hand corner of the photo and go to the Description/Caption and type \h1\ and nothing happens.

Does this function work on the Trial Demo version? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Code Replacement on Trial Demo - Not working - What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 12:58:39 PM »
I downloaded and installed the Trial Demo of Photo Mechanic today. Code replacement seems very straight forward except that I cannot get it working.

Mac 10.8.5
Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 13915 (a16ea99)
Text file attached (created with Text Wrangler v 4.5.3 (3310))

From the Edit>Settings>Set Code Replacements menu I "Add" the Test.txt file then hit "Ok".
I then click on the "i" icon in the bottom left hand corner of the photo and go to the Description/Caption and type \h1\ and nothing happens.

Does this function work on the Trial Demo version? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Our trial versions are fully featured.  Nothing is disabled.

I looked at your file and it is fine (though I suppose you could delete the blank line).  The path to the file is obscured in your image, but I think I see the word "Dropbox" in the path.  Is the text file in a place that PM can read the file?  Try putting it on your desktop instead.

-Kirk

Offline dude

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 05:08:20 PM »
You were correct. The file resides in my Dropbox folder. I know PM can access those files because my IPTC Stationary can be applied without issue.

I have installed PM on my home iMac and have copied the text file to my desktop. I deleted the first empty line. Saved in Text Wrangler. Loaded the Code Replacement file and still no luck.

Surely I am doing something incorrect??

Offline dude

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 08:04:28 PM »
Now it works. I have no idea why. I have a thought though. I finally tried to perform an Ingest. At this point I was just dropping folders in PM. I was getting the attached error message when I was clearly loading the Stationary pad via the Load button and the snapshot (I tried both over and over). Once the ingest took off, and I don't know why it finally decided to, it worked. I am curious to see if I can get this to work on my other computer tomorrow. I'll keep everyone posted.

Offline dude

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 08:20:39 PM »
Because I can't let a mystery go, I have noticed something that was not happening before on the Code Replacement. After loading the text file and closing the window, reopening the Code Replacement load box would result in an "empty" box. Now, the text file is visible when reopening that window. I have attached the window where the file was not staying put for whatever reason. I will try this again on my other computer tomorrow. Then it is buy time!!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 08:28:51 PM »
Feel free to take advantage of our tech support people during your evaluation.  You can email them at support@camerabits.com or call them at +1 503-547-2888 M-F, 9 AM - 5 PM.

-Kirk

Offline dude

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 08:30:19 PM »
Thank you. My problem seem centered around getting the first ingest successfully completed. Once that happened, everything worked. I am pumped for tomorrow!

Offline dude

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 05:29:04 AM »
I have confirmed that a live ingest from a card must first be performed before Code Replacement works on a new installation (on a computer that has never had PM installed). I have reproduced this on three different machines.

Offline dude

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 06:37:26 AM »
The initial Ingest must be done from an external card. Maybe a disk but I did not try this. When I plug in a card reader with an actual card on it, the first ingest goes through.

I mention this because I was trying to perform an ingest on a folder from my computer. That would cause the IPTC Stationary Pad error. Going to a card reader seems to be required for the first ingest.