Author Topic: Photo Mechanic not working well under iMac new User Account  (Read 4381 times)

Offline JamesD

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photo Mechanic not working well under iMac new User Account
« on: October 05, 2013, 01:05:36 AM »

Hello Friends,

I have Photo Mechanic 4.6.9 on an Intel iMac running OSX 10.7.5

Recently I started having trouble with the Mac, that we deduced (correctly) was due to the original User Account getting somehow corrupted.

So... we created a new User Account, and then used Apple’s Migration Manager to move all my “stuff” from the old User Account to the new User Account.

The migration went smoothly, the problem went away, life seems fine under the new User Account.

EXCEPT...

The first time I opened Photo Mechanic a dialog box popped up about the Cache Path sumthing sumthing sumthing.
{see first attachment below}

I clicked “Yes” (I think) whatever that did (I'm old and not terribly computer hip).

Now...

Photo Mechanic will open, and I can browse photos but:

1) if I want to delete a photo or make changes a box pops up, Finder wanting an admin password
{see second attachment below}

2) AND I cannot get Photo Mechanic to Ingest photos from my camera!  >:(

Can anyone help please?

I love Photo Mechanic, I need Photo Mechanic!

Thanks,

James

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 01:34:11 AM by JamesD »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photo Mechanic not working well under iMac new User Account
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 06:16:44 AM »
James,

Recently I started having trouble with the Mac, that we deduced (correctly) was due to the original User Account getting somehow corrupted.

So... we created a new User Account, and then used Apple’s Migration Manager to move all my “stuff” from the old User Account to the new User Account.

The migration went smoothly, the problem went away, life seems fine under the new User Account.

EXCEPT...

The first time I opened Photo Mechanic a dialog box popped up about the Cache Path sumthing sumthing sumthing.

I clicked “Yes” (I think) whatever that did (I'm old and not terribly computer hip).

That's perfectly fine.  If you answered Yes then PM put its cache in the standard location.

Now...

1) if I want to delete a photo or make changes a box pops up, Finder wanting an admin password

When you have PM set to move photos to the Trash on delete in PM, PM tells the Finder to move the items to the Trash.  I don't know why it would need to ask for permission though.  Where are the photos stored?  Does your new user account have privileges to read/write/delete on them?

Photo Mechanic does not, in general, ingest directly from cameras.  It requires the card to appear as a drive on your computer.  Some cameras can be put into 'disk mode' which will work.  Most cannot perform this function and instead one uses a dedicated card reader (USB or FireWire connection) and puts the card in the card reader.  PM can then browse/ingest from the mounted card.  How are you making your card available to the system?

-Kirk

Offline JamesD

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 07:34:10 PM »
James,

EXCEPT...

That's perfectly fine.  If you answered Yes then PM put its cache in the standard location.

Now...

When you have PM set to move photos to the Trash on delete in PM, PM tells the Finder to move the items to the Trash.
I don't know why it would need to ask for permission though.  Well... me neither.

Where are the photos stored?  In a freestanding folder.  Named "My Photos".  Which Photo Mechanic "looks at" for my pictures.  Folder is not in or under any Photo Mechanic directory.

Does your new user account have privileges to read/write/delete on them? The new User Account is an Admin account with Admin privileges, which is all I know of.  Any other way to get or privileges to acquire.

Photo Mechanic does not, in general, ingest directly from cameras.  It requires the card to appear as a drive on your computer.  Some cameras can be put into 'disk mode' which will work.  Most cannot perform this function and instead one uses a dedicated card reader (USB or FireWire connection) and puts the card in the card reader.  PM can then browse/ingest from the mounted card.  How are you making your card available to the system?
I forget the exact camera menu settings, but I have ALWAYS just plugged a USB cable into my camera directly.
The computer recognizes it as a drive.
A drive icon appears on my desktop.
Photo Mechanic is set to open when it detects my camera.
It is doing so now.
And the ingest window appears.
It just won't ingest when I click INGEST.

-Kirk

« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 08:17:50 PM by JamesD »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 01:43:19 AM »
James,

Your freestanding "My Photos" folder: what user owns the folder?  What user owns the images?

Ingest: you click Ingest and then what happens?  The dialog just goes away?  Or progress dialog appears but does nothing?  You'll need to give me more information, please.

At this point I suggest you call our tech support folks on Monday morning +1 503-547-2888.  M-F 9-5 PM PST.

-Kirk

Offline JamesD

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 03:24:05 AM »
James,

Your freestanding "My Photos" folder: what user owns the folder?  What user owns the images?

Kirk - See I'm not even sure what you mean by "own".  I'm really not fluid in computer.
If I open Finder and right click on the folder that holds my image files, and then click on Get Info...
at the bottom where it says Sharing and Permissions, I/Me/the new User Account has "Read & Write" Privilege.
But that's all I know to do.  Is that what you mean by "own".

Ingest: you click Ingest and then what happens?  The dialog just goes away?  Or progress dialog appears but does nothing?  You'll need to give me more information, please.
a) the Ingest dialog doesn't go away, it stays right there
b) but the files never move into PM
c) one more sliver of information: when I click on Ingest, I see a flicker, and I mean it's just a millisecond of some box of some sort on the screen, it's just a flash, but looks like a teeny Finder window, or a dialog box or something, but it's there and then gone so no hope of telling what it is.

At this point I suggest you call our tech support folks on Monday morning +1 503-547-2888.  M-F 9-5 PM PST.

-Kirk
Thanks Kirk.  Lissen, if my above comments mean anything to you and you want to reply, please do.
But if not I am happy to call Tech Support.  Did once before, way back, and they were aces.
I have always found asynchronous posting re: something like this quite tedious.
I'm sure it is from your end as well.
Thanks for your efforts one way or the other.

James