Author Topic: Full fill different IPTC Files with structured Key Panel  (Read 15594 times)

Offline jlangrock

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Full fill different IPTC Files with structured Key Panel
« on: October 09, 2013, 03:46:01 PM »
I do sport photograhie racing. I have a list of XX races with XXX Horses, XX owners, XX trainers, and XX jockeys. I have to add at  the infos to the related pictures, by klicking at the horse once and fullfill it to different IPTC-Fields for the first four horses. Afterwards I use this IPTC Fields  to fill variables to other IPTC-Fields as Caption Keywords. This works fine with Fotostation, so PM shall to so.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Full fill different IPTC Files with structured Key Panel
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 04:47:16 PM »
I do sport photograhie racing. I have a list of XX races with XXX Horses, XX owners, XX trainers, and XX jockeys. I have to add at  the infos to the related pictures, by klicking at the horse once and fullfill it to different IPTC-Fields for the first four horses. Afterwards I use this IPTC Fields  to fill variables to other IPTC-Fields as Caption Keywords. This works fine with Fotostation, so PM shall to so.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're asking to do.  Perhaps post your question in your native language and one of our other users will be able to answer your question.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 03:59:08 AM »
Hi,
It is possible to use some IPTC info to fill in other IPTC fields (I think that is what you mean). See screen shot below.
HTH,

-Luiz Muzzi

« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 04:07:32 AM by Luiz Muzzi »

Offline jlangrock

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 11:10:51 AM »
Kirk i have a List like
          Colgne
               Race No 1
                    Owner 1
                       Trainer 1
                           Jockey 1
                              Horse 1
                     Owner No xx
                         Trainer Xx
                             Jockey xx
                                 Horse xx
               Race No 2
                Race No xx
That is List List
Up TO 160 Horses and related Owner, Trainer, jockey, per Racing day

In fotostation i Click at The Horses and The related Data, Date, Place, Owner, Trainer jockey are filed into IPTC Fields.

Also there are IPTC Fields for The Second, Third and fourth horse plus related Data has TO bei added a One pic.

So with One klick i Shall fill IPTC fields from structured keyword list

We are talking about up to 3000 to 4000 pic per racing day and it has to be done quick

« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 11:14:01 AM by jlangrock »

Offline jlangrock

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 11:16:15 AM »
@Luzi Muzzi
That is correct but to do so I have to spilt my list into different IPTC fields and then I can use variables

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 11:31:12 AM »
Kirk i have a List like
          Colgne
               Race No 1
                    Owner 1
                       Trainer 1
                           Jockey 1
                              Horse 1
                     Owner No xx
                         Trainer Xx
                             Jockey xx
                                 Horse xx
               Race No 2
                Race No xx
That is List List
Up TO 160 Horses and related Owner, Trainer, jockey, per Racing day

In fotostation i Click at The Horses and The related Data, Date, Place, Owner, Trainer jockey are filed into IPTC Fields.

Also there are IPTC Fields for The Second, Third and fourth horse plus related Data has TO bei added a One pic.

So with One klick i Shall fill IPTC fields from structured keyword list

We are talking about up to 3000 to 4000 pic per racing day and it has to be done quick

The Structured Keywords are simply hierarchical keywords, appropriate for the keywords field.  There is no option to have one level of the hierarchy go to one field and another level of the hierarchy go to another field.  If I understand you correctly what you're wanting to do would be accomplished with Code Replacement instead.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Code_Replacement

-Kirk

Offline jlangrock

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 12:07:15 PM »
Code replacement would not work because the list of horses in a year are up to 2000
And the human name list is now 3897 and it grows week by week.
Nobody could keep nearly 6000 codes in mind and with each race there are mixed lists, so the only way is to klick the horses at a race because they are unique and full fill the IPTC fields
IPTC 200-205 for horse one, IPTC  210-215 for horse two, IPTC 233-238 for horse 3

Would that work with code replacement with variables?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 12:18:23 PM »
Code replacement would not work because the list of horses in a year are up to 2000
And the human name list is now 3897 and it grows week by week.
Nobody could keep nearly 6000 codes in mind and with each race there are mixed lists, so the only way is to klick the horses at a race because they are unique and full fill the IPTC fields
IPTC 200-205 for horse one, IPTC  210-215 for horse two, IPTC 233-238 for horse 3

Would that work with code replacement with variables?

Where does your data come from?  What does it look like?  Can you post a sample?

-Kirk

Offline jlangrock

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 12:45:19 PM »
the interside is
http://www.galopp-sport.de/dvrWebApp/htdocs/aktive/nonsecure/renndaten/renntag.jsp?datum=06.10.2013&rennort=D%FCsseldorf

race 1
I produce one Txt-file with all races of the Card (8 races)

liste001 - just the hardcopy of race 1- , liste002 is the hardcopy of race 2-  followed by race 3 to 8 one txt-file

race 2

Offline jlangrock

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 12:53:26 PM »
to fill Race two
IPTC 200-205 I klick on Redesert and  jockey, trainer, owner, race2  are filled.
for the second horse and fullfill IPTC 210-215 klick seewolf and  jockey, trainer, owner, race2
for the third horse fullfill IPTC 233-238 Alshazah and  jockey, trainer, owner, race2

with this infos I use variables to fill caption and keywords

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 02:46:22 PM »
  If you need to manage hundreds of horses and be able to quickly locate any horse's info for the jockey, trainer, etc, then I recommend saving each horses' info as a separate XMP file from the IPTC Stationary Pad. Fill out the fields for a particular horse and then click the Save button at the bottom of the IPTC dialog.   When you need to load the info for a particular horse, click the Load button and then double click the file for that horse.  To easily access the folder for all of the horse files you should add the Horse folder to the Finder window's left sidebar. Here is a screen shot of the IPTC Stationary Pad, using the Load option and the Horse folder in the left sidebar of the Open dialog.

Once you have applied the Stationary Pad basic info to your images, you can use the Stationary Pad to copy any existing field info to other fields by using the variable for the source IPTC field in the destination field.

regards,  Bob

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 05:10:50 PM »
the interside is
http://www.galopp-sport.de/dvrWebApp/htdocs/aktive/nonsecure/renndaten/renntag.jsp?datum=06.10.2013&rennort=D%FCsseldorf

race 1
I produce one Txt-file with all races of the Card (8 races)

liste001 - just the hardcopy of race 1- , liste002 is the hardcopy of race 2-  followed by race 3 to 8 one txt-file

race 2

How do you produce your text file from the web page?

If you used code replacement, you'd only need one code for each hierarchy.  Each level of the hierarchy would be just an additional replacement for the same code.

R1Meulen[tab]Duesseldorf[tab]1 Frankenheim...[tab]Lucien W.J.van der Meulen[tab]Gerald Geisler[tab]Lennart Hammer-Hansen[tab]All Percy
R1Grafenberg[tab]Duesseldorf[tab]1 Frankenheim...[tab]Stall Grafenberg[tab]Ertuerk Kurdu[tab]Stephen Hellyn[tab]Baarusch
R2Gehrig[tab]Duesseldorf[tab]2 Schloss...[tab]Thomas Gehrig[tab]Sascha Smrczek[tab]Eddy Hardouin[tab]Seewolf

Then you'd put 'R1Muelen' in some field of the IPTC Info of the Meulen pictures (lets say Special Instructions), and R1Grafenberg in the Special Instructions of the Grafenberg pictures, and so on.  Then you'd apply an IPTC Stationery pad using the value of the Special Instructions field in a Code Replacement lookup.  The lookups would look like this:

\{instr}#1\  (would replace with Duesseldorf for all codes)
\{instr}#2\  (would replace with Frankenheim... for R1Meulen, R1Grafenberg, etc.)
\{instr}#3\  (would replace with Lucien W.J.van der Meulen for R1Meulen)
\{instr}#4\  (would replace with Gerald Geisler for R1Meulen)
\{instr}#5\  (would replace with Lennart Hammer-Hansen for R1Meulen)
\{instr}#6\  (would replace with All Percy for R1Meulen)

So there wouldn't be any clicking from a hierarchical list.  You'd just need to know what code to enter for each horse you see in the photo you're working on.  If there is a unique number on each horse then I'd use those for the codes (your codes can be anything that makes perfect sense to you that you don't have to struggle to remember.)

Then once you enter the code for each photo in the Special Instructions field, you would select all of the photos, use the IPTC Stationery Pad and put the \{instr}#1\, \{instr}#2\, ... \{instr}#6\ in all the fields you want filled in.  Then you would apply the IPTC Stationery Pad and in a few minutes (for a few thousand photos) you'd have all your metadata complete.

That's how it is done in Photo Mechanic.  There is no way to have the Structured Keywords put parts of the hierarchy in user-specified fields in Photo Mechanic.  Though it sounds like a useful idea.

-Kirk

Offline toddbuchanan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Todd Buchanan Corporate & Editorial
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 02:28:19 PM »
jlangrock,

I handle the Breeders' Cup horse races editing and I see your challenge of having to do the 4 horses in order...since we have 15 races in 2 days (having to post photos within minutes of the finish of each race) we took a slightly different approach and created an IPTC template for each race (With the race name, distance and title), and at the end of each race we just filled in the 4 boxes (Winning Horse, Jockey, Trainer and Owner) so that it would populate each field. That way, as you ingest disks, all photos have the same caption stamped on the all the photos...but your formula is more challenging so it sounds like Kirk's method may work best for your needs...just wanted to add my voice since it is something we have to deal with all the time...

Here is our IPTC template for one race:

Todd
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 02:30:19 PM by toddbuchanan »

Offline Peter E

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 05:31:55 AM »
Hi,
It is possible to use some IPTC info to fill in other IPTC fields (I think that is what you mean). See screen shot below.
HTH,

-Luiz Muzzi

Luiz, I wonder how I should do to get the same settings as shown in your reply above?

I want to know how to get the EXIF info (and all the field below) in the IPTC Stationary Pad. I have tried to find a way to change the layout through the settings, but without any success.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 07:38:37 AM »
Hi,
HTH,

-Luiz Muzzi

Luiz, I wonder how I should do to get the same settings as shown in your reply above?

I want to know how to get the EXIF info (and all the field below) in the IPTC Stationary Pad. I have tried to find a way to change the layout through the settings, but without any success.

Hi Peter, Luiz uses a highly customised IPTC/XMP pad where he actually renamed some of the existing fields and headers. There are no exif fields in the IPTC/XMP set (and why would they; the data is  already present in the file as part of the exif standard). Luiz just (a)bused some of the existing IPTC/XMP fields to hold a copy of some of the exif data (I guess this is a requirement of his workflow/customers).

Hope this helps,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl