Author Topic: Ingest hangs/fails at "Scanning source paths"  (Read 22533 times)

Offline tenmiles

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Ingest hangs/fails at "Scanning source paths"
« on: October 10, 2013, 06:54:49 PM »
Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 13915 (a16ea99) | OS X v 10.8.5

I try to import from my 7D's CF card and I get stuck at "Scanning source paths." It'll sit there for maybe 15 minutes before it says it's finished (green), but nothing has been copied over. I've tried it with and without incremental ingest checked.

I am aware of an older post on the same topic, but it doesn't seem to have anything other than "use the latest version" (other thread: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=3329.0). I've also tried restarting PM and rebooting the machine with no luck.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingest hangs/fails at "Scanning source paths"
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »
Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 13915 (a16ea99) | OS X v 10.8.5

I try to import from my 7D's CF card and I get stuck at "Scanning source paths." It'll sit there for maybe 15 minutes before it says it's finished (green), but nothing has been copied over. I've tried it with and without incremental ingest checked.

I am aware of an older post on the same topic, but it doesn't seem to have anything other than "use the latest version" (other thread: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=3329.0). I've also tried restarting PM and rebooting the machine with no luck.

Are you able to view the card's contents with the Finder?  If you put the card back in your camera, can you view images on your camera's display?

-Kirk

Offline tenmiles

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 07:37:55 PM »
Images are still viewable from within the camera and I am able to navigate the card via finder (that's actually how I accomplished my 'ingest' so I could get things processed). I can view the images from within PM while they're on the card as well and I can ingest as long as I "Ingest Folders," but "Ingest Disks" doesn't work.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 09:35:52 PM »
Images are still viewable from within the camera and I am able to navigate the card via finder (that's actually how I accomplished my 'ingest' so I could get things processed). I can view the images from within PM while they're on the card as well and I can ingest as long as I "Ingest Folders," but "Ingest Disks" doesn't work.

If you don't mind, use the Reveal Support Data... command on the Help menu and post the zipped log file here.  I'd like to see if it has any messages in it pertaining to this issue.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (6890) | macOS 14.3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 10:05:10 PM »
Not sure if it will make any sort of difference, but I wanted to mention that you can hide all of those other disks you have attached (Morgan, etc.) by just creating a folder on them called: "PMIngestIgnore"

This will keep them from showing up in the dialog at all.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 10:17:55 PM »
I cannot see the drive he wants to ingest to in the ingest-dialog...
Is the drive really connected?

/Volumes/Morgan - Portable Storage

Sven
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline tenmiles

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 04:47:12 AM »
Not sure if it will make any sort of difference, but I wanted to mention that you can hide all of those other disks you have attached (Morgan, etc.) by just creating a folder on them called: "PMIngestIgnore"

This will keep them from showing up in the dialog at all.

I did not know about this, thank you.

I cannot see the drive he wants to ingest to in the ingest-dialog...
Is the drive really connected?

/Volumes/Morgan - Portable Storage

Sven

It appears that the destination disk is excluded from the list of available disks on the left. If I change my destination to something on Macintosh HD then my "Morgan - Portable Storage" appears in the list with the others. Additionally, I can confirm it exists because I can read/write to it in a number of other ways, PM sees it when I browse files, and ingesting works when I select "Ingest Folders" with writing to that same "Morgan - Portable Storage" device.

If you don't mind, use the Reveal Support Data... command on the Help menu and post the zipped log file here.  I'd like to see if it has any messages in it pertaining to this issue.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Done
Edit: It just occurred to me that the CF card was not in the computer when I did this step. If you need the log to be generated when the card is in the USB reader I can redo that when I get home this evening.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 05:08:10 AM by tenmiles »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 06:13:17 AM »

Done
Edit: It just occurred to me that the CF card was not in the computer when I did this step. If you need the log to be generated when the card is in the USB reader I can redo that when I get home this evening.

Yes, I would want to see a run where you had this 15 minute delay and no images were copied.  You can delete your PM.log file if you like and Photo Mechanic will create a new one that will only contain your latest session.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline tenmiles

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 01:31:29 PM »
I reran it just now with the same card and actually timed it: 25 minutes. The log was wiped just before this and should be easy-ish to parse (not much in it). I tried another CF card that was freshly formatted and took a few test shots just to see if that had anything to do with it, but so far it's still doing the same thing. I can try later with an SD card, but given that everything outside of PM seems to work normally I don't expect much to change.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 03:18:13 PM »
I reran it just now with the same card and actually timed it: 25 minutes. The log was wiped just before this and should be easy-ish to parse (not much in it). I tried another CF card that was freshly formatted and took a few test shots just to see if that had anything to do with it, but so far it's still doing the same thing. I can try later with an SD card, but given that everything outside of PM seems to work normally I don't expect much to change.

Did you delete the log file while PM was running?  It is missing various startup log statements and appears to be truncated.

This 25 minute delay, is it showing a small modal dialog saying it is scanning or is it hung at the Ingest dialog itself?

Can you open up a Terminal window and enter:

ls -alF /Volumes

Hit enter and then copy and paste the output into your reply.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 03:33:19 PM »

I'd also like for you to turn on some additional logging.  Download the attached file (PMDebug.txt) and put it in your Photo Mechanic preferences folder.  You can get there by using the Go to Folder... command on the Go menu of the Finder.  Enter this as the folder:

~/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic

Put the PMDebug.txt file there.  Launch PM again and attempt your Ingest.  Post the zipped log file here again.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline tenmiles

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 06:27:18 PM »
When I posted the debug information last I had left PM open when I deleted the log file so all it captured was the ingesting itself, not the startup of the application. This log file was reset before opening PM and should have the information you are looking for.

As far as the ls command:
Code: [Select]
morgan-macbook-retina:~ christopher$ ls -alF /Volumes
total 72
drwxrwxrwt@ 12 root         admin    408 Oct 11 20:09 ./
drwxr-xr-x@ 41 root         wheel   1462 Oct 10 20:19 ../
drwxr-xr-x@ 13 christopher  staff    510 Mar 28  2013 Christopher Morgan’s iPod/
drwxrwxr-x   7 christopher  staff    476 Oct 10 19:30 Desktop - Storage/
drwxrwxr-x  11 christopher  staff    442 Oct 10 19:26 Desktop - Time Machine/
drwxrwxrwx@  1 christopher  staff  32768 Oct 11 20:09 EOS_DIGITAL/
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root         admin      1 Oct 10 20:19 Macintosh HD@ -> /
drwxrwxrwx   0 root         wheel      0 Oct 11 20:20 MobileBackups/
drwxrwxr-x   8 christopher  staff    476 Oct  6 00:38 Morgan - Backup Storage/
drwxrwxr-x  17 christopher  staff    850 Oct  6 00:38 Morgan - Portable Storage/
drwxrwxr-x   7 christopher  staff    544 Oct  6 00:38 Morgan - Time Machine/
drwxrwxr-x  14 christopher  staff    544 Oct  6 00:38 Morgan - Time Machine 2/

Fun fact: if you accidentally eject the SD/CF card while it's trying to inject, PM won't notice...

If it's easier to look at this than opening the zip...

Code: [Select]
********************************************************************************
********************************************************************************
Photo Mechanic version 5.0.0.0 build 13915 (a16ea99)
[Fri Oct-11-2013 20:11:40.921][ac38ea28] PMCache.cpp:2339 cache: main thread startup
[Fri Oct-11-2013 20:11:40.921][ac38ea28] PMCache.cpp:984 cache: spawning 4 worker threads (4 cpus) ...
[Fri Oct-11-2013 20:11:40.922][b2313000] PMCache.cpp:2269 cache: found 0 disk cache entries, 0 usable
[Fri Oct-11-2013 20:11:41.000][ac38ea28] An exception of type NSInvalidArgumentException occurred.
*** -[__NSArrayM insertObject:atIndex:]: object cannot be nil
[Fri Oct-11-2013 20:11:41.000][ac38ea28] afxmac.mm:2435 Unexpected NSException in CListBox::AddString()
[Fri Oct-11-2013 20:11:41.000][ac38ea28] afxmac.mm:2436 Exception description: *** -[__NSArrayM insertObject:atIndex:]: object cannot be nil
[Fri Oct-11-2013 20:11:45.393][b6427000] IngestDialog.cpp:932 Ingest copy thread started
[Fri Oct-11-2013 20:11:45.393][b6427000] IngestDialog.cpp:943 Scanning files started
[Fri Oct-11-2013 20:11:45.393][b6427000] IngestDialog.cpp:860 IngestCopyThread::scanForFiles entered
[Fri Oct-11-2013 20:17:02.115][b120b000] PMCache.cpp:1959 cache: prune oldest image info: 2025 22856 40660 44406 44461 56273 63830 64264 65786
[Fri Oct-11-2013 20:25:57.049][b6427000] IngestDialog.cpp:960 IngestCopyThread::operator(): caught exception in highest scope, attempting clean exit...
[Fri Oct-11-2013 20:25:57.049][b6427000] IngestDialog.cpp:975 Ingest copy thread ended

Offline tenmiles

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 06:40:43 PM »
I suppose that his might be important... it actually says it's complete when finished (green), but the files were not copied to the right directory (or any directory that I can tell). To me that's a fail, but PM seems to be satisfied with it to call it complete.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 07:20:50 PM »
It's getting an exception filling out the list of disks.  I think that is causing the wrong volume to be ingested.  The disk named "Christopher Morgan’s iPod", how is it mounted?  If you unmount it, does the problem go away?

-Kirk

Offline tenmiles

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 07:36:00 PM »
I'm not sure how to answer the "how is it mounted" part; I just plug it in via the 30pin/USB cord (it's an iPod classic 7th gen). However, ejecting the iPod did make it work. I tried disabling "enable disk use" in iTunes to see if that made a difference, it didn't, and maybe later/tomorrow I'll try with my iPod nano (also 7th gen) to see if that is different and let you all know. I tried to close iTunes to see if having the iPod mounted, but iTunes closed would make a difference, but closing iTunes also ejected my iPod so I couldn't say for sure.

Thank you. Seems stupid to me that I can't import photos with an iPod attached, but it's nice knowing what the issue is. Is this something that's fixable or just a fact of life I'm going to have to put up with?