Author Topic: Ingest hangs/fails at "Scanning source paths"  (Read 22530 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingest hangs/fails at "Scanning source paths"
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 08:19:37 PM »
I'm not sure how to answer the "how is it mounted" part; I just plug it in via the 30pin/USB cord (it's an iPod classic 7th gen). However, ejecting the iPod did make it work. I tried disabling "enable disk use" in iTunes to see if that made a difference, it didn't, and maybe later/tomorrow I'll try with my iPod nano (also 7th gen) to see if that is different and let you all know. I tried to close iTunes to see if having the iPod mounted, but iTunes closed would make a difference, but closing iTunes also ejected my iPod so I couldn't say for sure.

Thank you. Seems stupid to me that I can't import photos with an iPod attached, but it's nice knowing what the issue is. Is this something that's fixable or just a fact of life I'm going to have to put up with?

I'd certainly like to fix it.  My wife has a recent Nano that I can try hooking up to my development system so I can fix the problem.

For now though, keep your iPod devices offline.

-Kirk

Offline dcevertsen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 09:08:30 AM »
Does this on Mavericks with the 4.6.9 version of PhotoMechanic as well.. If you change the style of window to something besides lists or details it works fine..

David Evertsen

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 10:14:07 AM »
David,

Does this on Mavericks with the 4.6.9 version of PhotoMechanic as well.. If you change the style of window to something besides lists or details it works fine..

I made changes in build 15002 to address this problem in Photo Mechanic v5.  We're no longer maintaining 4.6.x and earlier versions so you'll just have to keep going with your workaround.  Or upgrade to PM5.

-Kirk

Offline wescraft

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 10:23:56 AM »
Photo Mechanic 5.0, build 15077 (39d4ee2)
iMac Processor  2.93 GHz Intel Core i7
OSX 10.7.5

I just bought the new Lexar HR1 Workflow CF card readers.  I can see them and manipulate data with Finder and import using Lightroom however when attempting an ingest with Photomechanic I get "Scanning for source paths…" and then immediately afterward "ingest complete" however nothing was ingested. PM recognizes and can ingest from another card reader I have however. I'm attaching a log.  Please advise.

Also, we do not have an iPod attached.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 10:25:30 AM by wescraft »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 12:57:33 PM »
Photo Mechanic 5.0, build 15077 (39d4ee2)
iMac Processor  2.93 GHz Intel Core i7
OSX 10.7.5

I just bought the new Lexar HR1 Workflow CF card readers.  I can see them and manipulate data with Finder and import using Lightroom however when attempting an ingest with Photomechanic I get "Scanning for source paths…" and then immediately afterward "ingest complete" however nothing was ingested. PM recognizes and can ingest from another card reader I have however. I'm attaching a log.  Please advise.

Also, we do not have an iPod attached.

There are no errors listed in the log file related to Ingest.  What happens if you unplug one of the readers from the hub and use it individually?

-Kirk

Offline wescraft

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014, 01:04:59 PM »
There are no error messages.  I can take an individual reader, disconnected from the hub and directly attached to a port on the rear of my iMac, and the same thing happens.  It just reads "scanning source path…" then "ingest complete."

Offline wescraft

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2014, 01:20:20 PM »
PM just doesn't seem to think anything is on any card in these readers.  On a couple of attempts it will import a single image from one or two of the cards in the unit before claiming that all the ingests are complete with a green bar of success.  Again, I can read and copy from Finder and Lightroom.  PM has worked for me the last 5 years using a variety of other readers.  Does PM require that the drive be writable in order to somehow communicate during the ingest process?  If so, these are read only drives I believe. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2014, 01:41:50 PM »
PM just doesn't seem to think anything is on any card in these readers.  On a couple of attempts it will import a single image from one or two of the cards in the unit before claiming that all the ingests are complete with a green bar of success.  Again, I can read and copy from Finder and Lightroom.  PM has worked for me the last 5 years using a variety of other readers.  Does PM require that the drive be writable in order to somehow communicate during the ingest process?  If so, these are read only drives I believe.

PM does want to write a .pmingest.dat file to the drive so that Incremental Ingest can work.  Are you using Incremental Ingest and have you ingested those images before?

There is a logging facility built into PM5.  You need to create a plain text file named PMDebug.txt and it has to be in PM's Preferences folder.

PM's Preferences folder will be in the following location:

~/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic/

Unfortunately Apple decided a few OS versions ago to hide the Library folder within your home folder.  You can still get there though by using the "Go to Folder..." command on the Go menu in the finder.  Enter the path above in the dialog that appears.

Create your PMDebug.txt file there and make it have the following contents:

INGEST_LOGGING ON

Save the file and relaunch PM5 and try to do your Ingest.  You can then use the "Reveal Support Data..." command on the Help menu and post the zipped log file here.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline wescraft

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 02:02:44 PM »
Success. 

I had been using incremental ingest.  I unchecked Incremental Ingest and viola!  I'm able to ingest now from the card readers. This will get me working and staying within my PM workflow so great! That said, do you believe that since the readers are not writable, I will be unable to use the incremental ingest feature with these readers?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2014, 02:40:15 PM »
Success. 

I had been using incremental ingest.  I unchecked Incremental Ingest and viola!  I'm able to ingest now from the card readers. This will get me working and staying within my PM workflow so great! That said, do you believe that since the readers are not writable, I will be unable to use the incremental ingest feature with these readers?

It probably won't work.  Do you often ingest and then put the card back in the camera and shoot new images without first formatting the card?  If you always format the card before you begin a shoot then Incremental Ingest will do nothing for you anyway since the .pmingest.dat will will be lost during the format process.

-Kirk

Offline wescraft

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014, 03:19:16 PM »
I always format in camera and start afresh for each project.  My intentions for checking that box in the first place was a misunderstanding of what it did.  I thought that it would look into the folder and make sure that I wasn't importing images into that location that I had already imported (creating 2 copies).  That said, I knew that it wasn't working like that and had chalked it up to my computer's compatibility or needing to update to the latest version.  I've got incremental ingest unchecked moving forward and so far so good.  I'd say that we're resolved here.  ;D