Author Topic: Limit File Size To:  (Read 4905 times)

Offline markok

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Limit File Size To:
« on: October 11, 2013, 03:42:32 PM »
Hello,

it looks like "Limit File Size To:" in "Save As" section does not work?!

I want to Save photos and Limit File Size To 200K only... Entering a value of "0.2" did not work... actually regardless of what number I enter in
"File Size Limit" field the result is always the same ie. photo file size after it is saved remains the same as original.

Can you please advice if I am doing something wrong....?   ...or is this yet another "feature" which needs to get fixed.

Thank you!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Limit File Size To:
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 03:51:07 PM »
it looks like "Limit File Size To:" in "Save As" section does not work?!

I want to Save photos and Limit File Size To 200K only... Entering a value of "0.2" did not work... actually regardless of what number I enter in
"File Size Limit" field the result is always the same ie. photo file size after it is saved remains the same as original.

Did you set the quality down low (near zero) ?  If not, then PM will not have much room to vary the quality to get your desired output size.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#JPEG_Compression

-Kirk

Offline markok

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 03:58:19 AM »
Kirk, thank you for additional info!

I did not know "Limit File Size to" only works in conjunction with "quality" setting....

I would expect that setting my preferred output image File Size would get me the best possible photo quality
automatically... You should consider implementing this feature in the next product release?!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 07:18:37 AM »
Kirk, thank you for additional info!

I did not know "Limit File Size to" only works in conjunction with "quality" setting....

I would expect that setting my preferred output image File Size would get me the best possible photo quality
automatically... You should consider implementing this feature in the next product release?!

It is by design.  If you have no control over the quality and you put in a fairly low output size, you'll get an image that is barely recognizable.  Having control over the quality lets you say "make it this small but don't ever let the quality go below this level."  If you don't care about the quality and only about the size, then set the quality to zero.  PM will then have full control over the quality level (which has a direct effect over the final size, along with turning on chrominance sub-sampling).

In your case, the solution is quite simple.  Set your size, set the quality to zero.  You'll very likely get your desired output size.

We don't consider taking the quality restriction out of the equation a "feature".  Keeping the quality restriction is a feature.

-Kirk

Offline markok

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 08:06:35 AM »
I am afraid this is misunderstanding... I am not suggesting to take Quality selection out... what I am saying is-  it would be good to have some options to play with, while saving the photo which file size needs to be as small as possible and the quality still acceptable....

eg. it would help me a lot if PhotoMechanic would be able to estimate and report file size for me based on the selected Quality setting before photo gets saved.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 08:56:06 AM »
I am afraid this is misunderstanding... I am not suggesting to take Quality selection out... what I am saying is-  it would be good to have some options to play with, while saving the photo which file size needs to be as small as possible and the quality still acceptable....

eg. it would help me a lot if PhotoMechanic would be able to estimate and report file size for me based on the selected Quality setting before photo gets saved.

It already does that if you turn off the file size limiting.  When you change the quality slider, the resulting size appears alongside the slider.

-Kirk