Author Topic: Capture time and date issues  (Read 7396 times)

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
Capture time and date issues
« on: October 13, 2013, 01:22:59 PM »
I am using PM 4.6.8 on Windows 7, 64 bit.  I realize this version is no longer supported but hopefully, I am just missing something.

I have paired jpeg and raw files (Canon cr2).  The jpegs were created from the CR2 files in Photoshop using the "save for web" command.  Thus they were created without any exif data.  The time and date of the jpeg file thus seems to default to the creation time and date of the file.  Unfortunately, the time and date of the paired jpeg and raw file is the time and date of the jpeg even though I have my preferences set to "When viewing photos in RAW+JPEG mode use the metadata from the Raw file".

The command "Tools / IPTC/XMP / Read IPTC/XMP from RAW" does not update the time and date of the jpeg.

So, how can I update the time and date of the jpeg to match the capture time in the RAW file?  I realize that I could do it manually with the "Tools/Adjust Capture Time and Dates ..." command, but that's too tedious to be practical when you have many files.

What I really want to do is set the capture time and date of the jpeg to match that in the raw file, but failing that, to have the time-and-date variables get their values from the raw file rather than the jpeg.

Am I missing something?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Capture time and date issues
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 06:44:35 PM »
Bob,

Hmm.  Perhaps using something like ExifTool in a batch would be best.

www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

There is a GUI version of it as well so you might try that.

I'll check to make sure PM5 gets the capture date from the RAW if the RAW of a RAW+JPEG pair is chosen as the metadata source.

Also, please upgrade to PM 4.6.9.  It is a free upgrade for all PM 4.6.x users and fixes a number of issues present in 4.6.8 and earlier versions of PM.

-Kirk

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 05:41:34 AM »
Hi Kirk

Thanks for the response.  I'll sort things out using exif tool.  I am not afraid of perl and scripts, so I don't expect to have any issues.

I would be interested to learn if PM5 also has this issue.  So far, PM4.6 continues to meet my needs but I will upgrade if needed and certainly will the instant the cataloging module is introduced.

Let me draw your attention to another, somewhat similar issue (I believe).  It seems that the command "Tools / IPTC/XMP / Read IPTC/XMP from RAW" does not update any exif data -- which is fine, in that it doesn't promise to.  That is why, I assume, that that command does not update the jpeg time and date as I noted in my first post.  However, it also does not update the gps data.  That can lead to a bit of a "gotcha":

If I ingest a set of cr2 files, use DPP to develop a paired set of of jegs, add my metadata and then use the command  "File / import gps coordinates", everything works as expected.  However, if I change the order and ingest a set of cr2 files, add my meta data, import my gps coordinates, use DPP to develop a paired set of jpegs, and then use the command "Tools / IPTC/XMP / Read IPTC/XMP from RAW" to write my meta data to the jpegs, then my jpegs will not include the gps coordinates.  But I will never notice this in PM unless I separate the jpeg from its associated cr2 file.  In retrospect, I think I understand what is happening, but I don't think this is the "expected" behaviour.

(Note, in the above scenario, I don't have any time and date issues with the jpegs because the DPP produced jpegs include the capture time.)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 06:34:44 AM »
Bob,

Thanks for the response.  I'll sort things out using exif tool.  I am not afraid of perl and scripts, so I don't expect to have any issues.

I would be interested to learn if PM5 also has this issue.  So far, PM4.6 continues to meet my needs but I will upgrade if needed and certainly will the instant the cataloging module is introduced.

Let me draw your attention to another, somewhat similar issue (I believe).  It seems that the command "Tools / IPTC/XMP / Read IPTC/XMP from RAW" does not update any exif data -- which is fine, in that it doesn't promise to.  That is why, I assume, that that command does not update the jpeg time and date as I noted in my first post.  However, it also does not update the gps data.  That can lead to a bit of a "gotcha":

If I ingest a set of cr2 files, use DPP to develop a paired set of of jegs, add my metadata and then use the command  "File / import gps coordinates", everything works as expected.  However, if I change the order and ingest a set of cr2 files, add my meta data, import my gps coordinates, use DPP to develop a paired set of jpegs, and then use the command "Tools / IPTC/XMP / Read IPTC/XMP from RAW" to write my meta data to the jpegs, then my jpegs will not include the gps coordinates.  But I will never notice this in PM unless I separate the jpeg from its associated cr2 file.  In retrospect, I think I understand what is happening, but I don't think this is the "expected" behaviour.

(Note, in the above scenario, I don't have any time and date issues with the jpegs because the DPP produced jpegs include the capture time.)

GPS coordinates are stored in EXIF tags.  Updating IPTC/XMP from your RAW files will not pull over EXIF data so your GPS coordinates will not come over to your JPEGs.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 04:59:48 AM »
Hi,
As far as DPP is concerned, which I use in my workflow, it seems that it is always best to convert the raw file to jpeg first and then apply metadata, set gps coordinates, etc.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi