Author Topic: camera mechanic won't detect my camera  (Read 6153 times)

Offline sam harris

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
camera mechanic won't detect my camera
« on: October 13, 2013, 11:33:14 PM »
Hi there, i'm using camera mechanic on trial for the first time...

this is odd and a bit embarrassing but i can't detect my camera (plugged into my laptop with usb cable) to ingest some images.

i use mac and aperture, so 1st thing i made sure aperture preferences was set to 'open camera mechanic when a camera is connected'. I also went to image capture preferences and told it to do nothing when camera is connected. i can not find my camera or the images on the card within camera mechanic! i know my mac is detecting my camera because both image capture and aperture showed the files in their browsers...

i can see all my files in the side bar and my external hard drive (also connected via usb).

So, any suggestions, tips, reflections appreciated. This is very frustrating!!

Many thanks, Sam

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: camera mechanic won't detect my camera
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 12:10:08 AM »
Sam,

this is odd and a bit embarrassing but i can't detect my camera (plugged into my laptop with usb cable) to ingest some images.

i use mac and aperture, so 1st thing i made sure aperture preferences was set to 'open camera mechanic when a camera is connected'. I also went to image capture preferences and told it to do nothing when camera is connected. i can not find my camera or the images on the card within camera mechanic! i know my mac is detecting my camera because both image capture and aperture showed the files in their browsers...

i can see all my files in the side bar and my external hard drive (also connected via usb).

Photo Mechanic does not use cameras directly connected to the computer.  You'll need to get a dedicated card reader.  They're relatively inexpensive, are faster, more reliable, and they don't use up your camera or its battery.

-Kirk

Offline sam harris

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 12:29:49 AM »
thanks Kirk. i' ve just ordered one!

as i live remotely it's going to take 7/10 days to arrive. Any chance my demo can be "paused" for a week?
cheers, Sam

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 06:31:45 AM »
Sam,

thanks Kirk. i' ve just ordered one!

as i live remotely it's going to take 7/10 days to arrive. Any chance my demo can be "paused" for a week?

No, but we'd be happy to extend it for you later, remind me when your demo ends.

-Kirk

Offline sidelinepros

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Sideline Pros
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 08:17:53 PM »
Sam,

Photo Mechanic does not use cameras directly connected to the computer.  You'll need to get a dedicated card reader.  They're relatively inexpensive, are faster, more reliable, and they don't use up your camera or its battery.

-Kirk

Is this still the case?  PM does not use cameras directly connected to the computer?>

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 09:03:32 PM »
That is correct.  You must use a card reader.

-Kirk