Author Topic: Custom fields/variables  (Read 5816 times)

Offline syncrasy

• View Profile
Custom fields/variables
« on: October 15, 2013, 10:47:40 AM »
I know this topic has been discussed before, but I want to raise the issue again as a prospective PM user transitioning from iView/Expression Media/Media Pro if/when the PM catalog is released.

I use iView/Expression Media to manage a stock photo collection. iView/EM allows users to create 16 custom fields for tagging images. I use them to display model/property release information, print size/pricing information, and other information not available in (or derivable from) the standard IPTC or EXIF fields.

For example:

Custom field #1: Model release available? [yes/no]
Custom field #2: Property release available? [yes/no]
Custom field #3: Print size A [e.g., 8x10]
Custom field #4: Print size A price [e.g., $10.00]
...etc...
Custom field #16: Notes/comments [e.g., "John Smith provided ID info"]

I read elsewhere in these forums that a "custom fields" feature is either not being considered or is low on the priority list due to the catalog development efforts being so high priority. I would consider the ability to create custom fields/variables an essential component of any catalog/database, so I am a bit confused as to why this feature is not higher priority.

I believe there already exists the ability to create custom User/Client variables, so why not expand the concept to allow for a greater range of custom variables? Or am I misunderstanding how User/Client variables are used in PM (since it currently isn't a database/catalog)?

What will PM users do to document model/property release information? Does PM currently have a way to document custom information that I'm not aware of? Or are most PM users event/assignment photographers who don't need such data?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 04:33:45 PM by syncrasy »
-- Mark

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
Re: Custom fields/variables
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 04:38:12 AM »
I know this topic has been discussed before, but I want to raise the issue again as a prospective PM user transitioning from iView/Expression Media/Media Pro if/when the PM catalog is released.

I use iView/Expression Media to manage a stock photo collection. iView/EM allows users to create 16 custom fields for tagging images. I use them to display model/property release information, print size/pricing information, and other information not available in (or derivable from) the standard IPTC or EXIF fields.

For example:

Custom field #1: Model release available? [yes/no]
Custom field #2: Property release available? [yes/no]
Custom field #3: Print size A [e.g., 8x10]
Custom field #4: Print size A price [e.g., $10.00]
...etc...
Custom field #16: Notes/comments [e.g., "John Smith provided ID info"]

I read elsewhere in these forums that a "custom fields" feature is either not being considered or is low on the priority list due to the catalog development efforts being so high priority. I would consider the ability to create custom fields/variables an essential component of any catalog/database, so I am a bit confused as to why this feature is not higher priority.

I believe there already exists the ability to create custom User/Client variables, so why not expand the concept to allow for a greater range of custom variables? Or am I misunderstanding how User/Client variables are used in PM (since it currently isn't a database/catalog)?

What will PM users do to document model/property release information? Does PM currently have a way to document custom information that I'm not aware of? Or are most PM users event/assignment photographers who don't need such data?

Thanks.

Hi,
Speaking solely of model information, there are fields in the IPTC Stationery Pad that refer specifically to this. I guess PM's Stationery Pad fields will be present in the catalogue solution. See below.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline syncrasy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 12:09:24 PM »
Thank you, Luiz. I'm not an expert in IPTC, so I have a couple more questions...

• Is this model information in PM custom IPTC Stationery Pad related to the model information in the "IPTC Extension" tab in Photoshop? (See image below.)
  • I believe I read on these forums that IPTC is considered an old standard and that PM is moving away from IPTC toward XMP. How might this affect the possibility of accommodating custom fields/variables in the future?

Thanks.

[attachment deleted by admin]
-- Mark

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 01:32:16 PM »
1. Is this model information in PM custom IPTC Stationery Pad related to the model information in the "IPTC Extension" tab in Photoshop? (See image below.)

It is the same as the one in Photoshop.

2. I believe I read on these forums that IPTC is considered an old standard and that PM is moving away from IPTC toward XMP. How might this affect the possibility of accommodating custom fields/variables in the future?

IPTC fields can be represented in both IPTC binary format and in the new XMP format.  Some IPTC fields were discontinued in IPTC4XMP, but most of them live on in XMP.

We may add the ability for users to define custom fields for the purposes of managing images in the catalog, making them optionally capable of being represented in XMP intended for images.

-Kirk

Offline syncrasy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 03:04:48 PM »
We may add the ability for users to define custom fields for the purposes of managing images in the catalog, making them optionally capable of being represented in XMP intended for images.

That would be a very desirable addition to the catalog (custom catalog fields plus an XMP option). As I mentioned in my other post about Web galleries, the ability to create custom catalog fields and use them as Web gallery variables will likely be a deciding factor in my decision to transition to PM from Expression Media.

Thanks.
-- Mark

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 03:09:11 PM »
1. Is this model information in PM custom IPTC Stationery Pad related to the model information in the "IPTC Extension" tab in Photoshop? (See image below.)

It is the same as the one in Photoshop.

2. I believe I read on these forums that IPTC is considered an old standard and that PM is moving away from IPTC toward XMP. How might this affect the possibility of accommodating custom fields/variables in the future?

IPTC fields can be represented in both IPTC binary format and in the new XMP format.  Some IPTC fields were discontinued in IPTC4XMP, but most of them live on in XMP.

-Kirk

That is really going to be a nice addition to PM's catologue functionalities.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi