Author Topic: Several dialogs have a "lightning bolt" button, what does it do?  (Read 7122 times)

Offline gterrell26

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Many dialogs including the IPTC Stationary Pad have a lightning bolt button (lower, left on that dialog).  There is no mouse-over and the click action says "Save...".   Saves what?  The IPTC info seems to autosave so I am puzzled as to what this button does :)?

Thanks from a newbie learning the ropes,
GT

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Several dialogs have a "lightning bolt" button, what does it do?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 08:51:29 AM »
Many dialogs including the IPTC Stationary Pad have a lightning bolt button (lower, left on that dialog).  There is no mouse-over and the click action says "Save...".   Saves what?  The IPTC info seems to autosave so I am puzzled as to what this button does :)?

It saves all of the settings of the given dialog into a file that you can later quickly access and reload again.  Otherwise, you only get one setting per dialog.  You get to name the setting however you like and when you click on that menu button again your named settings will appear on the menu.  Choosing one of the items will load it in and you're all set.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline mzachs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • MagicalPhotos.com
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 03:14:22 PM »
How do you delete a name from the pull down menu of the "lighning bolt?"
Thanks,
Mitchell Zachs
http://www.MagicalPhotos.com/
Hope this helps,

Mitchell Zachs
http://www.MagicalPhotos.com/
MAC OS 10.12.2, on a MacBook Pro Retina 2.33 Ghz Intel Core i7

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 03:24:42 PM »
How do you delete a name from the pull down menu of the "lighning bolt?"

See this post.

-Kirk

Offline schammy77

• Newcomer
  • PM 4.5.3.2 Windows XP SP3 3GB Ram PS CS4
    • View Profile
    • Schammerhorn Photo
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 07:06:40 PM »
Kirk-

Is there a way to use my "saved" lightning bolt settings on another computer?

I have several settings saved in many different dialog boxes on my desktop computer and would like to use them on my laptop out in the field.

It there a way to do this?

James
SchammerhornPhoto.com

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (6890) | macOS 14.3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 07:24:26 PM »
Speaking as someone using a Mac, the "lighting bolt" saved settings have a file extension of ".snap" and are saved in the following folder:
HD / Users / your username / Library / Preferences / com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic /

Then inside various folders depending on which dialog window they belong to.  There may be a reason I can't think of, but I assume you can copy the individual ".snap" files to the corresponding location on another computer and that would do the trick. (Copying the entire folder structure might not be as safe though.)

Maybe Kirk will have a better way to handle it.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 07:55:35 PM »
James,

Is there a way to use my "saved" lightning bolt settings on another computer?

I have several settings saved in many different dialog boxes on my desktop computer and would like to use them on my laptop out in the field.

It there a way to do this?

Yes.  If you hold down the "Modifier" key (Shift on Windows, Option on Mac OS X) while you choose one of your snapshots, the file system window (Windows Explorer on Windows, Finder on Mac OS X) come forward and your snapshot will be selected.  If you copy the snapshots from there to the same location on your other computer, that will do it.  You can even copy the parent folders for each dialog to the other computer if you want to get them all at once.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline schammy77

• Newcomer
  • PM 4.5.3.2 Windows XP SP3 3GB Ram PS CS4
    • View Profile
    • Schammerhorn Photo
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 09:44:45 PM »
James,

Yes.  If you hold down the "Modifier" key (Shift on Windows, Option on Mac OS X) while you choose one of your snapshots, the file system window (Windows Explorer on Windows, Finder on Mac OS X) come forward and your snapshot will be selected.  If you copy the snapshots from there to the same location on your other computer, that will do it.  You can even copy the parent folders for each dialog to the other computer if you want to get them all at once.

HTH,

-Kirk

"Snap", works like a charm. Thank you Kirk and Kevin.

This is why I love PM so much more then Adobe Photoshop Lightroom, there are infinite possibilities using PM. Can't wait for Photomechanic to have the catalog system in place.