Author Topic: Galleries difficult to open in v5.0  (Read 2007 times)

Offline tommyleo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Galleries difficult to open in v5.0
« on: October 17, 2013, 11:55:09 AM »
Hi there. Mac OS 10.6.8, Intel based.

I recently upgraded to v5.0 (build 13915 -- a16ea99) from v4.6.8 because I started using a Canon 5D Mark III and v4.6.8 would not render the colors of the jpeg previews correctly. I often use those jpeg previews to create galleries for my clients to view, and I cannot send clients galleries with poor color.

BTW, I typically do not post the galleries online. Rather, I upload the gallery to the client, who then opens it by simply clicking on the file called "index" in the gallery folder. The gallery then opens in the client's browser.

The problem now is that the galleries produced by v5.0 are sometimes difficult/impossible to open after they are downloaded. I wonder if the problem lies in all the extra files contained in the v5.0 gallery folder. (See the comparison of v5.0 to v4.6.8 in the attached images.) If so, is there a way to produce the "simple" v4.6.8 gallery in v5.0? Thanks.

EDIT TO ADD: It seems that Mac users don't have any problems opening up the v5.0 galleries. PC users seem to need to "Extract All" to do so -- but not everyone knows how to do that, believe it or not!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 12:18:41 PM by tommyleo »

Offline Brandon

• View Profile
Re: Galleries difficult to open in v5.0
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 01:40:25 PM »
tommyleo,

I've made a small tweak to the 4.6.8 pm classic so that you can choose between the old one and the new one in your Exporter list.

You'll need to add a new folder to your application package and place the template inside of it.

Go to your Applications folder in Finder. Right click (ctrl+click on one-button mouse) on the Photo Mechanic 5 application and choose Show Package Contents. Next continue down the folder paths Contents -> builtin_templates -> export

Inside of the export folder create a new folder called pm_classic_classic. You should now have pm_classic and pm_classic_classic right next to each other. Inside of the pm_classic_classic folder is where you will need to place the template-main.rb file that I've attached to this post.

The final path to the file should look like: /Applications/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/builtin_templates/export/pm_classic_classic/template-main.rb

Once it's in place, you will find a new entry in your Exporters list called "PM Classic: Classic" which is the 4.6.8 version of the exporter.

Offline tommyleo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 09:36:54 PM »
Brandon,

Bravo!!!! What a clever solution! Thank you.

In a possibly related issue, why do the gallery photos look so lousy when opened in Firefox, yet the photos look exact the same as the PM jpeg previews when the gallery is opened in Safari or Chrome? I've attached a screen grab of the same image displayed on PM, Firefox, and Chrome. The Firefox version looks lighter, less contrasty, and less saturated.  :-\

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 09:38:26 PM by tommyleo »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 11:08:31 PM »
Brandon,

Bravo!!!! What a clever solution! Thank you.

In a possibly related issue, why do the gallery photos look so lousy when opened in Firefox, yet the photos look exact the same as the PM jpeg previews when the gallery is opened in Safari or Chrome? I've attached a screen grab of the same image displayed on PM, Firefox, and Chrome. The Firefox version looks lighter, less contrasty, and less saturated.  :-\

If I had to guess, I'd say that either Firefox doesn't do color management properly, or it has been turned off in Firefox's preferences.  Note: I do not know if Firefox has any color management preferences for certain.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 12:00:02 AM »
If I had to guess, I'd say that either Firefox doesn't do color management properly, or it has been turned off in Firefox's preferences.  Note: I do not know if Firefox has any color management preferences for certain.

Firefox certainly has colour management, in fact it was one of the first to have it built in. Have a look here to see how to enable it. To test if it worked,you can go here.

Note though that for web, it's best to always stick to sRGB since not all browsers do correct colour management (especially IE is notoriously flawed).

HTH,
Hayo
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 12:02:17 AM by Hayo Baan »
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl