Author Topic: Emergency - PC Crashed, can't activate PM5  (Read 3960 times)

Offline Michael

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Emergency - PC Crashed, can't activate PM5
« on: September 28, 2013, 05:10:17 AM »
Hello!

Yesterday evening my PC crashes, I've tried so repair Windows with repair and refresh options some times, without succes. Now over night I've installed a basic system because in 2 hours I've an important job, i need running workflow. After installing PM5 on fresh Windows 8 installation Camera Bits server reject activation!

Needs help urgent please, I'm official festival photographer at museal night, have to serve national press and photo agencies. But photographer, not an computer expert...  :'(
Basic installation with all needed worklflow programs is running fine except Photo Mechanic. Panic-Mode! Festival is starting today at 16:00 MESZ...   >:(

Hope someone can help, thanks, with best regards!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 05:26:58 AM by Michael »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Emergency - PC Crashed, can't activate PM5
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 11:25:40 AM »
Just request a demo:

http://www.camerabits.com/pages/demoreg.cgi?view=DemoIndiv

It is fully functional.  On Monday, call our office and they'll get you going again.  +1 503-547-2800

-Kirk

Offline Michael

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 02:41:55 AM »
Dear Kirk, Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, this came when I was already on the job.

Yesterday it was so huge trouble with the customer. The festival photos could not be seen quickly enough, sorted, labeled and uploaded. The fallback workflow was just too slow! Especially the IPTC caption for so many pictures is a pain when you can not work with the right software...

The photographers of the agencies were waiting for the pictures even use Photo Mechanic, were shocked.

It is the most horrible nightmare. A few hours before an important job, Windows gets hiccups. You install an emergency system quickly, but you can not install an important program. Because you are only allowed to repair five times the operating system. On the weekend. The manufacturer is at the other end of the world. Calls cost EUR 1.50 per minute - you do not speak English...

It is completely unacceptable not to be able to repair or reinstall the operating system if it is required. Away from the internet and phone in the middle of the night or on the weekend on location if needed. Presumably, this is a kind of protection against piracy. I respect the manufacturer's wish to protect its product from the mass-copying. But if the customer needs to reinstall the operating system and can not re-run the software he bought, this is the wrong way.

I think if a threshold of X installs per month with a license is not exceeded massive, it is an indication that the customer does not engage in abuse and activation should succeed - because if cracked licenses are circulating on the Internet, the threshold will be very very high. As it is, paying customers will be punished and brought to distress.

I hope the problem can be solved by e-mail, so I do not have to pay too much money for international phone call to United States.

With best regards, Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 06:47:06 AM »
Michael,

Dear Kirk, Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, this came when I was already on the job.

Yesterday it was so huge trouble with the customer. The festival photos could not be seen quickly enough, sorted, labeled and uploaded. The fallback workflow was just too slow! Especially the IPTC caption for so many pictures is a pain when you can not work with the right software...

The photographers of the agencies were waiting for the pictures even use Photo Mechanic, were shocked.

It is the most horrible nightmare. A few hours before an important job, Windows gets hiccups. You install an emergency system quickly, but you can not install an important program. Because you are only allowed to repair five times the operating system. On the weekend. The manufacturer is at the other end of the world. Calls cost EUR 1.50 per minute - you do not speak English...

It is completely unacceptable not to be able to repair or reinstall the operating system if it is required. Away from the internet and phone in the middle of the night or on the weekend on location if needed. Presumably, this is a kind of protection against piracy. I respect the manufacturer's wish to protect its product from the mass-copying. But if the customer needs to reinstall the operating system and can not re-run the software he bought, this is the wrong way.

I think if a threshold of X installs per month with a license is not exceeded massive, it is an indication that the customer does not engage in abuse and activation should succeed - because if cracked licenses are circulating on the Internet, the threshold will be very very high. As it is, paying customers will be punished and brought to distress.

I hope the problem can be solved by e-mail, so I do not have to pay too much money for international phone call to United States.

I'm sorry you had difficulties with activating Photo Mechanic after your system failed.  Your problem can most certainly be solved via email as well.

-Kirk

Offline Michael

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 03:26:29 AM »
It's happened again. Inplace update of the operating system yesterday, something went wrong.
Computer will not boot. No repair function helps. Clean Install was required. Makes trouble with the paths of the user profiles. Reinstall and try as long as necessary until the correct paths. No re-partitioning but formatted partition.

Photo Mechanic activation counter rotate. Is there anything new from deactivation tool?

If at the second computer upgrade something goes wrong too, again Photo Mechanic can not be activated after installation.
A viable solution must be found.  Such updates often enough gone wrong, and will often go wrong in the future.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 06:53:36 AM »
Michael,

It's happened again. Inplace update of the operating system yesterday, something went wrong.
Computer will not boot. No repair function helps. Clean Install was required. Makes trouble with the paths of the user profiles. Reinstall and try as long as necessary until the correct paths. No re-partitioning but formatted partition.

Photo Mechanic activation counter rotate. Is there anything new from deactivation tool?

If at the second computer upgrade something goes wrong too, again Photo Mechanic can not be activated after installation.
A viable solution must be found.  Such updates often enough gone wrong, and will often go wrong in the future.

It is coming very soon.  It is currently in its private beta testing phase.

-Kirk

Offline Michael

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 07:05:44 AM »
Thank you for your fast response, dear Kirk.

I would like to participant in the beta test, please.