Author Topic: mulitple lines in Find and Replace (v5)  (Read 4786 times)

Offline timclarke

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • LAT Photographic
mulitple lines in Find and Replace (v5)
« on: October 18, 2013, 08:30:59 AM »

Hi,

I have just upgraded to Photo Mechanic 5 (build 13915) on Mac OS X 10.6.9, previously I was running PM 4.6.9

One of my regular jobs involves using the Find and Replace dialog to replace a chunk of text that one of our photographers' own websites puts into the Description field before automatically forwarding to me for use in a different context where different text is needed.  The rest of what I receive is otherwise useful so needs to be retained.  Previously I could just add the undesired lines to the 'Find' box and nothing to the 'Replace' box, and it was done.

Now I've finally got the new version (which for pretty much everything else, I love!) I don't seem to be able to enter more than one line into the 'Find' box, but I can't find any reference to this anywhere on the web, these forums or the manuals.  Is this correct or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Tim

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: mulitple lines in Find and Replace (v5)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 09:21:13 AM »
Tim,

We put a safeguard in place that addresses a problem that a lot of people would have and end up calling our support staff about.  It was quite common for people to think that they had copied a single line of text and when pasted into a text field that only shows one line would in fact look like a single line of text.  They would then be puzzled as to why their rename/search/find/replace, etc. wouldn't work properly.

So now, when a single line text field has text pasted into it, only the first line of text is pasted.

I could make the Find/Find and Replace fields multi-line and remove this restriction.  Maybe in an upcoming build.

-Kirk

Offline timclarke

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • LAT Photographic
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 01:15:51 AM »
Hi Kirk,

I've just downloaded the newly released build of v5 (15002) and seen that this question has been addressed!  You guys are amazing - I cannot tell you how grateful I am - it will honestly save me about an hour on most weekends.

Thank you!

Tim

Offline nmf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 05:22:49 AM »
Thanks from here aswell.

I have to change my captions for one specific use and this will save so much time over doing it by hand.