Author Topic: Destination Folder variable  (Read 4084 times)

Offline dbreslauer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Destination Folder variable
« on: October 28, 2013, 04:13:51 PM »
My apologies if this has been discussed, I have searched and have not seen anything like this. I would like a variable that would embed the destination location, so that if the file is moved moved someplace else, even delivered to another person, I would like to reference the destination of where I ingested the file. I can accomplish this in a two stage process now. Ingest the files, and then select the files and use the variable {folderpath}. Would like to eliminate the second step.

dbreslauer

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
Re: Destination Folder variable
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 02:33:24 AM »
My apologies if this has been discussed, I have searched and have not seen anything like this. I would like a variable that would embed the destination location, so that if the file is moved moved someplace else, even delivered to another person, I would like to reference the destination of where I ingested the file. I can accomplish this in a two stage process now. Ingest the files, and then select the files and use the variable {folderpath}. Would like to eliminate the second step.

dbreslauer

Hi,
At first, it seems logical that first you have to ingest the files, i.e., assign a primary destination, and only after that PM is able to use that destination as the folder path variable. Just my two cents.
regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 06:04:14 AM »
It's a chicken and egg problem.  IPTC data is applied in the process of copying the images to the destination and at the time that variables are evaluated, the images are at the source location.  They're not yet at the destination location.  So evaluating things like {filename} or {folder} refer to the image before it reaches the destination.

Perhaps an option to apply IPTC after the image arrives would solve the problem, albeit with a sacrifice in efficiency (Ingests would take slightly longer).  We'd have to think more about such a change, but are users willing to sacrifice speed for the ability to have IPTC/XMP applied after the images are copied and thus evaluate at the destination?

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 04:25:29 PM »
dbreslauer,

While not using a simple thing like the {folderpath} variable, you do know where the files end up during ingest. So why not simply copy the path to which you ingest into one of the fields in the stationary pad that you apply during ingest? This should work, even if you have the path use metadata / {variables} of the image.

If you need help just show me your ingest dialogue and I'm sure I can come up with the text to enter in the field you want to populate with the location of the image  :)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 03:46:03 AM »
It's a chicken and egg problem.  IPTC data is applied in the process of copying the images to the destination and at the time that variables are evaluated, the images are at the source location.  They're not yet at the destination location.  So evaluating things like {filename} or {folder} refer to the image before it reaches the destination.

Perhaps an option to apply IPTC after the image arrives would solve the problem, albeit with a sacrifice in efficiency (Ingests would take slightly longer).  We'd have to think more about such a change, but are users willing to sacrifice speed for the ability to have IPTC/XMP applied after the images are copied and thus evaluate at the destination?

-Kirk

Hi, Kirk
I think that option would be a nice addition to IPTC stationery pad. I myself use a snapshot called "Filename" just to add this variable at the end of my workflow.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline dbreslauer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 02:58:29 PM »
Yep, understand the chicken and egg issue.
Most of the information is there on the Ingest screen (I clearly see the path under the "Primary Destination" and adding the filename to the end of that...Voila.)
So I could type the name into a chosen field, and append that with a variable for the actual file name. Just looking for something I don't have to remember to change at each ingest session.

Tell Dennis this is not my first good idea!