Author Topic: IPTC-Data missing after Lightroom 5  (Read 2822 times)

Offline bapfoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
IPTC-Data missing after Lightroom 5
« on: October 30, 2013, 02:57:42 AM »
Since a while I'm noticing an error with IPTC-Stationerypad. My workflow is following:
Viewing all photos from camera and writing IPTC to all RAWs. Choosing pix and editing them in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.
Saving all edited pix out of Lightroom into a specific folder (named by date of shooting).

After last step, pix lose all IPTC data, (see attached screenshots).

Many thanks in forward.

Kind regards
Fernando

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC-Data missing after Lightroom 5
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 06:31:38 AM »
Fernando,

Since a while I'm noticing an error with IPTC-Stationerypad. My workflow is following:
Viewing all photos from camera and writing IPTC to all RAWs. Choosing pix and editing them in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.
Saving all edited pix out of Lightroom into a specific folder (named by date of shooting).

After last step, pix lose all IPTC data, (see attached screenshots).

You'll need to change to an XMP sidecar style workflow if you're going to use Adobe products.  Adobe's products will read IPTC/XMP metadata embedded in RAW files, but it refuses to modify RAW files for the purposes of updating metadata.  If you use XMP sidecar files on RAW files with PM, Adobe's products will both read and write to the XMP sidecar files.

You'll still have to tell Lightroom to read XMP and write XMP when you make the transitions between PM and LR.  LR generally ignores external changes to XMP sidecar files, preferring to use its cached copies in its database.

There are options in the "Metadata" menu in LR for managing the reading and writing of metadata for items in the LR catalog.

-Kirk