Author Topic: FTP failing in PM4  (Read 4826 times)

Offline Dimitri

• Newcomer
  • Photojournalist and 3D stereo sports photographer
    • View Profile
    • Quebec Press Newsphotos
FTP failing in PM4
« on: July 21, 2006, 06:08:44 PM »
First of all, I want to congratulate the entire Camera Bits team for creating the best ever IPTC captioning and image browser on existence.  After trying almost everything out on existence to file my photos to many news photo agencies I freelance for, nothing can beat the workflow speed of PM 4.

Having said this, I only have a small observation to make.  Last week I had to recaption some 500 images from 100+ different directories and file them to the agency.  Immediately after captioning, right-clicking on the image, selecting FTP to upload was extremely convenient.  HOWEVER, at one point, in the middle of the upload queue, the FTP server returned a connection error and everything was halted.  At that time I had some 75+ images on the FTP queue, and nothing was happening.  I searched for a button to reconnect/resume the transfer, to no avail.  I searched for something to save the FTP queue, nothing.  At this point, FTPing within PM was impossible without closing the FTP window (and loose the queue)….  I finally closed the window.  Bad thing…  I then was looking for some kind of FTP log to see which files were uploaded and which failed.  I was out of luck in this field too.  Now, I have no idea what I uploaded and what needs to be uploaded.

The FTP feature in PM is a very neat idea and with only a click away on the desired photo, can spare a press photographer from switching back and forth PM and WS_FTP. Neat!   IT allows one to upload immediately after selecting its photos or after captioning. BUT the FTP implementation is sometimes not very reliable, especially when uploading bulk photos from many and different directories. When FTP fails within PM, it's a nightmare...  I use Windows XP SP2.  So for the time being, till a better FTP implementation will be made, I use PM to caption and WS_FTP to upload.  It's a pain, but sure.

Should an FTP transfer fail, is there a way for PM 4.x to re-connect and resume? Or a way to save and load the queue? Or an FTP log of some sort?  (or all of the above?)

Thanks,

Dimitri P.
Dimitri Papadopoulos
Newswire Photojournalist and 3D stereo sports photographer

Offline Andrew MacKay

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Keaphotos.com
Re: FTP failing in PM4
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 06:27:06 PM »
Dimitri, I run a simular setup as you and have never had this problem with any of the hundreds of shots I have ftp'd. I do agree that some form of logging would be usefull for PM's ftp function.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 07:40:00 PM »
Dimitri,

First of all, I want to congratulate the entire Camera Bits team for creating the best ever IPTC captioning and image browser on existence.  After trying almost everything out on existence to file my photos to many news photo agencies I freelance for, nothing can beat the workflow speed of PM 4.

Thanks!

Quote from: Dimitri
Having said this, I only have a small observation to make.  Last week I had to recaption some 500 images from 100+ different directories and file them to the agency.  Immediately after captioning, right-clicking on the image, selecting FTP to upload was extremely convenient.  HOWEVER, at one point, in the middle of the upload queue, the FTP server returned a connection error and everything was halted.  At that time I had some 75+ images on the FTP queue, and nothing was happening.  I searched for a button to reconnect/resume the transfer, to no avail.  I searched for something to save the FTP queue, nothing.  At this point, FTPing within PM was impossible without closing the FTP window (and loose the queue)….  I finally closed the window.  Bad thing…  I then was looking for some kind of FTP log to see which files were uploaded and which failed.  I was out of luck in this field too.  Now, I have no idea what I uploaded and what needs to be uploaded.

The FTP feature in PM is a very neat idea and with only a click away on the desired photo, can spare a press photographer from switching back and forth PM and WS_FTP. Neat!   IT allows one to upload immediately after selecting its photos or after captioning. BUT the FTP implementation is sometimes not very reliable, especially when uploading bulk photos from many and different directories. When FTP fails within PM, it's a nightmare...  I use Windows XP SP2.  So for the time being, till a better FTP implementation will be made, I use PM to caption and WS_FTP to upload.  It's a pain, but sure.

Should an FTP transfer fail, is there a way for PM 4.x to re-connect and resume? Or a way to save and load the queue? Or an FTP log of some sort?  (or all of the above?)

There is a button right below the Move up and Move down buttons that looks like a circle with an arrow on it.  Clicking on it will reconnect to the server and send the remaining files in the queue.  There is also a trash can button below it which will allow you to delete items from the queue.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Freddy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 01:11:22 PM »
I have nearly the same Problem

these Buttons are inactive in my case --after a few correct uploads the line
**connection to server** appears and thats take nearly 10 minutes

Have you guys found a solution ?