Author Topic: 'Export...' window glitch  (Read 4692 times)

Offline Tony Hall

• View Profile
    • Tony Hall Photography
'Export...' window glitch
« on: November 03, 2013, 03:10:49 AM »
Hiya,

This is a problem that no doubt has an embarrassingly simple solution, but it's got me stumped.

The "Export..." window has got 'stuck' above the Finder's menu bar, so it can't be used, moved or resized. See below...

I've tried restarting, rebooting, changing screen resolutions, starting PM with various key modifiers (hoping for some sort of reset) - all to no avail. Now I await the howls of laughter at my jaw-dropping stupidity!

MacBook Pro running OS 10.8.5, PM v5.0 build 15011 (54772e6).

Very many thanks.

Cheers,
Tony

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 'Export...' window glitch
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 06:26:44 AM »
Tony,

This is a problem that no doubt has an embarrassingly simple solution, but it's got me stumped.

The "Export..." window has got 'stuck' above the Finder's menu bar, so it can't be used, moved or resized. See below...

I've tried restarting, rebooting, changing screen resolutions, starting PM with various key modifiers (hoping for some sort of reset) - all to no avail. Now I await the howls of laughter at my jaw-dropping stupidity!

MacBook Pro running OS 10.8.5, PM v5.0 build 15011 (54772e6).

Short of using a program like Moom: http://manytricks.com/moom/ or completely tossing all of your preferences I don't have a solution for you.

You are the second person to show me a situation like this so I'll have to put some sort of window position validation into the the window size/position restoration code.  It has to be very careful though because some people really do put their windows on other monitors or straddling multiple monitors and I wouldn't want to take that ability away from them.

-Kirk

Offline Tony Hall

• View Profile
    • Tony Hall Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 08:04:14 AM »
Short of using a program like Moom: http://manytricks.com/moom/ or completely tossing all of your preferences I don't have a solution for you.
Many thanks for taking time on a Sunday to reply, much appreciated.

I finally fixed it.  :)

I found an older version of PM5 build 13915 (a16ea99) and installed it. The top of the window was available with this version, so I simply dragged it down the screen. It now works normally in the latest build.

I'll let you figure out what changed between versions that may have caused this error.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Tony

Offline michaelbothager

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 08:11:05 PM »
Hi Kirk & All

How about an entry in the Tools menu to reset all dialog box positions? This way it takes a deliberate action to reset the calculations for the dialog boxes, and current functionality can be kept (I guess).

I've have run into the same problem with the dialog box being partly offscreen. Only solution was to trash all preferences, and reregister the app (which also can become a problem, if it is registered to many times...)

Just an idea.

Regards
Michael

Offline Tony Hall

• View Profile
    • Tony Hall Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 03:11:25 PM »
I got bitten by this again today. Easily resolved this time by plugging in my 23" external monitor which allowed me to reposition the dialogue.

But I guess I should now figure out how to fix it when I'm away from the office...just in case.

Cheers,
Tony

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 03:39:57 PM »
I've have run into the same problem with the dialog box being partly offscreen. Only solution was to trash all preferences, and reregister the app (which also can become a problem, if it is registered to many times...)

I agree that reregistering to solve window placement issues is not ideal. However I should point out that re-registering Photo Mechanic on the same computer should never cause any problems. Even recovery from hard drive crashes should still keep the same unique machine identifiers used by Photo Mechanic to keep track of how many machines it is being used on.

-Mick

Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline michaelbothager

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 09:15:18 PM »

However I should point out that re-registering Photo Mechanic on the same computer should never cause any problems.

-Mick

Cool, I did not know that.

Rgds
Michael