Author Topic: can you Turn off "alt+###" windows special character in code replacement?  (Read 4019 times)

Offline Nine22

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hello, I recently purchased PM to speed up my tagging process of running photos. I got code replacement to work if put in the bib number it fills out runners name etc... HOWEVER, alt key plus numbers in windows sometimes likes to put special characters in PM, therefore fouling up the keywording... I have turned off the functionality in windows control panel, restarted PM yet it still does it... any suggestions or solutions to this?

to clarify, in code replacement/info try pressing and holding alt+arrow key, letting go of alt and the arrow and then pressing a number/letter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: can you Turn off "alt+###" windows special character in code replacement?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 02:16:37 PM »
Hello, I recently purchased PM to speed up my tagging process of running photos. I got code replacement to work if put in the bib number it fills out runners name etc... HOWEVER, alt key plus numbers in windows sometimes likes to put special characters in PM, therefore fouling up the keywording... I have turned off the functionality in windows control panel, restarted PM yet it still does it... any suggestions or solutions to this?

to clarify, in code replacement/info try pressing and holding alt+arrow key, letting go of alt and the arrow and then pressing a number/letter

In the Code Replacement dialog?  Or the IPTC Info/IPTC Stationery Pad dialog?

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're describing.

-Kirk

Offline Nine22

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 06:37:00 PM »
Sorry I'm new so not sure what the screens are.. but the main grid, click on the "i" of a picture, and click in keywords field, and type in the "code" there.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 06:42:54 PM »
Sorry I'm new so not sure what the screens are.. but the main grid, click on the "i" of a picture, and click in keywords field, and type in the "code" there.

OK, going back to your original post, what are you doing with the Alt+Arrow Key?  Just saving and going onto the next image?

In Windows you can use Alt+Numeric Key Pad to enter special character codes.  Photo Mechanic isn't doing anything special to enable them and I have no idea how I would disable them for you.

I don't know why when you release the Alt key that you're still in the "enter special character code" mode.  I just tested on my Windows 7 system and I don't get any special mode after using Alt-Right Arrow and then release the Alt and Arrow keys.  I can enter numbers with the numeric keypad just fine.

-Kirk
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 06:48:18 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline Nine22

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 12:58:24 AM »
Yep, just switching photos... I have windows 7 as well... it doesn't do it every photo... seems if i arrow past a couple photos (via holding alt and pressing right arrow multiple times) and then push in the numbers/button to keyword, is when it does it. If i only do one alt arrow it doesn't seem to do it... maybe its related to sticky keys or something.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 05:15:35 AM »
Yep, just switching photos... I have windows 7 as well... it doesn't do it every photo... seems if i arrow past a couple photos (via holding alt and pressing right arrow multiple times) and then push in the numbers/button to keyword, is when it does it. If i only do one alt arrow it doesn't seem to do it... maybe its related to sticky keys or something.

It sounds like that to me too.  Do you have that feature turned on?

-Kirk

Offline Nine22

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 09:19:43 PM »
nope, its off( just went into the sticky keys options, if off, but I also unchecked the field to lock the modifier when pressed twice in a row) ... I'm baffled on this... and you are telling me you can't replicate it?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 10:38:26 PM »
nope, its off( just went into the sticky keys options, if off, but I also unchecked the field to lock the modifier when pressed twice in a row) ... I'm baffled on this... and you are telling me you can't replicate it?

No, I cannot reproduce your issue.  For you it acts like you have the Alt key held down when you're pressing the number keys on the numeric key pad.  When I release my Alt key it stays released and I can type actual numbers on my numeric key pad.

-Kirk

Offline Nine22

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 09:18:52 PM »
well *scratches head* i'm baffled... try this, hold down alt, press arrow 3 times to move to 3 different photos and then release alt key and press a number... it won't do it if I hit arrow 1 or 2 times only 3 or more times..  my key is not physically held down and it is not sticking on my keyboard... there must be some mystery setting somewhere that does this, it does not do this in word or notepad..

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 10:34:06 PM »
well *scratches head* i'm baffled... try this, hold down alt, press arrow 3 times to move to 3 different photos and then release alt key and press a number... it won't do it if I hit arrow 1 or 2 times only 3 or more times..  my key is not physically held down and it is not sticking on my keyboard... there must be some mystery setting somewhere that does this, it does not do this in word or notepad..

With those last details I am finally able to reproduce the problem.  I won't be able to fix it for the next build though.  I'm still investigating the cause and there are too many other fixes that users need so I can't hold up the build for this issue.  I'll see what I can do to fix the problem and if I fix it, I will make you a private build of PM 5 that you can use to test and let me know if the problem is solved.

-Kirk

Offline Nine22

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 09:30:14 AM »
Any update on this? I have some more events coming up and was just checking in.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 09:42:03 AM »
I have been unable to find a way to fix it.  I tried all the ways I could to figure out what is causing it to happen but I never found the source of the problem.

-Kirk

Offline Brandon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 10:24:58 AM »
I thought I'd add a note here that this happens in other software as well (Skype for example); we've been unable to locate any information from Microsoft about this keyboard 'code.'