Author Topic: Carriage returns in IPTC Caption field  (Read 11865 times)

Offline cdavisjr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Carriage returns in IPTC Caption field
« on: December 19, 2006, 03:53:49 AM »
Hello,

I seemed to have read somewhere that one should avoid using carriage returns in the IPTC Caption field of the Stationary Pad, but I don't recall the reason.  Since there is no People field, the Caption field seems to be a viable field for entering people names. I have been entering a carriage return after every name for no reason other than keeping the list "orderly"... I had considered entering people names in the Keyword field, but am not comfortable with it becoming unwieldly with many names among other keywords. I'd like to hear how others are annotating people names.

I used to annotate them in the People field in iView and now being a newbie with Photo Mechanic, I'm not sure how to handle them in PM...

Thanks for any enlightment.
--Carl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Carriage returns in IPTC Caption field
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 07:01:08 AM »
Carl,

I seemed to have read somewhere that one should avoid using carriage returns in the IPTC Caption field of the Stationary Pad, but I don't recall the reason.  Since there is no People field, the Caption field seems to be a viable field for entering people names. I have been entering a carriage return after every name for no reason other than keeping the list "orderly"... I had considered entering people names in the Keyword field, but am not comfortable with it becoming unwieldly with many names among other keywords. I'd like to hear how others are annotating people names.

I used to annotate them in the People field in iView and now being a newbie with Photo Mechanic, I'm not sure how to handle them in PM...

I know of no reason not to use carriage returns in the Caption field.  Others should feel free to chime in here though...
What IPTC field does iView's People field map to?  Or is it a database-only field.

-Kirk

Offline cdavisjr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 02:33:22 PM »
Kirk,

I guess the People field in iView is a database-only field because I didn't see it appear in Photo Mechanic.. Only see it in iView.. Looks like I'll need enter People names in one of the available fields in Photo Mechanic. Anyone have a preference?

Thanks,
--CArl

Offline Shadow

• View Profile
    • Propaganda
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 07:49:18 AM »
If there is to be a new field added for people, similar to the keywords field, would if be possible to have it automatically populated with any code-replacement string enetered into the caption field? So when \codereplacement\ is enetred in the caption and replaced by the relevent value, that value is automatrically added to the People field also?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 04:53:08 PM »
If there is to be a new field added for people, similar to the keywords field, would if be possible to have it automatically populated with any code-replacement string enetered into the caption field? So when \codereplacement\ is enetred in the caption and replaced by the relevent value, that value is automatrically added to the People field also?

As far as I know there is no "People" field in either IPTC or in the IPTC4XMP core specification.  So unless someone can tell me what standard metadata has a People field, then I'm not sure that there's much I can do...

-Kirk

Offline RobertE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 12:59:06 AM »
As far as I know there is no "People" field in either IPTC or in the IPTC4XMP core specification.  So unless someone can tell me what standard metadata has a People field, then I'm not sure that there's much I can do...

Hi Kirk,

The old iView MediaPro 2 'People' field maps to the little used but official IPTC IIM 'Contact' field.

-- Robert.

P.S. A belated Happy Christmas!

Offline RobertE

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 01:03:24 AM »
I guess the People field in iView is a database-only field because I didn't see it appear in Photo Mechanic.

Hi Carl,

Photoshop 7/CS/CS2 can read the iView people field c/- an iView plugin.

-- Robert.

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (6890) | macOS 14.3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 08:12:16 PM »
I simply enter people's names into the Keywords field separated by commas without spaces. Only people actually in the photo go in the keywords.

John Doe,Jane Doe,Bob Smith

I do this because the caption will often contain other names, ie: John Doe catches an 80 yard touchdown reception thrown by Bob Smith....   In this case only John would be in the photo. This way when I need to pull a file shot of Bob Smith I can search only the Keywords field and not have PM return the photo that mentions Bob in the caption but doesn't show him in the photo.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline mateomtb

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 06:44:15 PM »
I have had an instance of carriage returns creating a minor display problem. When cut and pasting captions over to a web slideshow manager I use, any carriage returns are seen as line breaks and show up as </b> to the end user. I am generating the text for display from an xml file which is being directed via actionscript inside a flash project.

This is of course not a PM issue, but there are some things out there that may not like it. Just test a file captioned how you want to do things and see if any of your workflow steps choke on it. I think you'll be safe doing what you are proposing.

mateo

Offline ANewman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 08:08:39 PM »
AP uses the "Headline" field for peoples' names, but only "newsmakers" ie: President Bush, Peyton Manning, Eddie Murphy, Colin Powell, etc.