Author Topic: Backing up Photo Mechanic for software upgrade  (Read 3658 times)

Offline Quiensera

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Backing up Photo Mechanic for software upgrade
« on: November 07, 2013, 05:25:36 PM »
Hi, I have version 4.6.9 of Photo Mechanic and am running it on an Imac, with system Leopard 10.5.8.  I'm thinking of upgrading to Snow Leopard or beyond and am worried that, if something goes wrong during the installation process, my Photo Mechanic version may get lost or damaged somehow.  I guess it's best to back up files, just in case, but I don't have an external storage device.  Is it possible to burn my version of PM to a DVD and then reinstall it if it became necessary?  Or could I download it again from your website and then use my old code to activate, if necessary?  I just bought it recently and wouldn't want to pay 150$ again.

It would probably be okay but, just in case, any advice on this?

Offline Quiensera

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Backing up Photo Mechanic for software upgrade
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 05:29:00 PM »
System upgrade I meant.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Backing up Photo Mechanic for software upgrade
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 05:45:31 PM »
Hi, I have version 4.6.9 of Photo Mechanic and am running it on an Imac, with system Leopard 10.5.8.  I'm thinking of upgrading to Snow Leopard or beyond and am worried that, if something goes wrong during the installation process, my Photo Mechanic version may get lost or damaged somehow.  I guess it's best to back up files, just in case, but I don't have an external storage device.  Is it possible to burn my version of PM to a DVD and then reinstall it if it became necessary?  Or could I download it again from your website and then use my old code to activate, if necessary?  I just bought it recently and wouldn't want to pay 150$ again.

It would probably be okay but, just in case, any advice on this?

You can download PM 4.6.9 again if you need it.
You would not need to pay full price again since you already have a license.  If your current license free upgrades period has expired beyond the origination date of PM 5 then at most, you'd have to purchase and upgrade license, currently $90.  If you did recently purchase PM 4.6.9 (after the start of June 2012) then you should be eligible to upgrade to PM5 at no additional cost.

-Kirk