Author Topic: Losing DNG Crops  (Read 3109 times)

Offline diverdick

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Losing DNG Crops
« on: November 09, 2013, 04:29:35 PM »
Hi Team

I'm having issues with DNG files losing their crop when importing into light-room if I have used photomechanic to caption.

My Rough workflow is I  preview in the field with PhotoMechanic, Edit and Save as a DNG File in Photoshop Raw, then Caption in Photo Mechanic and ftp.

When I return home I import images into Lightroom, I lose the crops, but not any other settings that have been editied i.e Curves or Vignetting and only if I have captioned the dng file in photomechanic.

I'm using PhotoMechanic Version 5 and use Photoshop CS5 and have Lightroom5 at Home.

I'm Using PC and shootoing 1DSMark3 1Dmark4 and 5DMark2 and  having Issues with all files from these cameras.

Any Thoughts?

richie

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Losing DNG Crops
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 04:36:48 PM »
Richie,

I'm having issues with DNG files losing their crop when importing into light-room if I have used photomechanic to caption.

My Rough workflow is I  preview in the field with PhotoMechanic, Edit and Save as a DNG File in Photoshop Raw, then Caption in Photo Mechanic and ftp.

When I return home I import images into Lightroom, I lose the crops, but not any other settings that have been editied i.e Curves or Vignetting and only if I have captioned the dng file in photomechanic.

I'm using PhotoMechanic Version 5 and use Photoshop CS5 and have Lightroom5 at Home.

What build of PM 5 are you using?

-Kirk

Offline diverdick

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 05:00:48 PM »
Hi Kirk

Cheers for getting back to me so quick.

I'm using two laptops in the field One with Build 13915 and the other with 15011
Having the issue with both versions of Photomechanic.

This workflow has worked fine for me for years until recently. Not sure if Lightroom has done something but the issue only happens if I update a caption to a DNG file in Photomechanic. If I add a caption during ingest using Photomechanic no problem.

Love Photo Mechanic by the way, been a user since 2000 with a News Paper in New Zealand and have my own Licence for my freelance Underwater work, hence using two versions in the field.

cheers

Richie

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 05:38:33 PM »
Richie,

I'm using two laptops in the field One with Build 13915 and the other with 15011
Having the issue with both versions of Photomechanic.

This workflow has worked fine for me for years until recently. Not sure if Lightroom has done something but the issue only happens if I update a caption to a DNG file in Photomechanic. If I add a caption during ingest using Photomechanic no problem.

Could you post a JPEG screen shot of your IPTC/XMP Preferences in Photo Mechanic?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Love Photo Mechanic by the way, been a user since 2000 with a News Paper in New Zealand and have my own Licence for my freelance Underwater work, hence using two versions in the field.

Excellent.  I love working on Photo Mechanic.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline diverdick

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 05:55:36 PM »
Cheers Kirk

screen-shot attached, from my work laptop which has the older build of PM.

r.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 08:31:11 PM »
Richie,

screen-shot attached, from my work laptop which has the older build of PM.

OK, I'd suggest always reading embedded XMP before embedded IPTC when working with Adobe products.  You can checkout our preferred settings on your later build of PM5 by using the snapshot button and choosing the Adobe choice.

Are you also forcing LR to read metadata from files when you return to LR from PM?

-Kirk

Offline diverdick

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 08:01:45 PM »
Hi Kirk

All sorted on my personal laptop with your suggestions, now just need to sort out the work laptop.

Tried those settings with no luck, will try and get i.t to update P.M tomorrow It is locked down by I.T so I cant update but will try and get them to do it tomorrow.

Cheers

Richie

Offline diverdick

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 03:38:48 PM »
Hi Kirk

All problems sorted.

Cheers For your Help.

r.