Author Topic: Constant Synchronising of xmp metadata between a laptop and PC  (Read 5334 times)

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
I am constantly working on my laptop at events adding data etc and then on the PC back at home adding more data, keywords and names.

Could somebody recommend the best way of keeping both the laptop and PC synchronised without worrying about it?

Would it be SugarSync or another programme to use.

David

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Constant Synchronising of xmp metadata between a laptop and PC
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 10:57:30 PM »
I use rsync for this, but then I'm a command line freak  ::)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 02:22:09 AM »
Could somebody recommend the best way of keeping both the laptop and PC synchronised without worrying about it?

This can become quite complicated if you are talking full replication where a file and an exact copy start out on two computers, and then the file and the copy are both separately modified. You then need to merge changes done to the file and different changes done to the copy into the other one, it is not a straight copy process.

It is simpler if you start out with a file and an exact copy on two computers, and then modify one of them and one of them only, and then copy the changed one to the other computer, thereby overwriting the non-modified instance. The modified one wins over the non-modified, so to speak. In this case I am fully with Hayo Baan, rsync is my tool. I believe there is a Windows incarnation of rsync available at www.rsync.net, but I never used it.

--
Odd S.
--
Odd S.

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 07:07:53 AM »
What I am really after is something like Evernote but for the single folder that is in a PC's Appdata/Roaming/Camera Bits/Photo Mechanic    folder that contains all the SNAP, text and xmp files etc.

I use Evernote to hold all my photo event captions that are being added to all the time going way back to the seventies and can access them from my laptop, PC, tablet and mobile phone. If I add or alter something on Evernote on my tablet it is quickly available on the PC or laptop when I start using them.

So, what I want to do is set up a system that allows me to do that with PM on my laptop when I'm away and at the same time have the PC updated already when I get back.  Sugarsync will do that but it is 79 USD although you do have the bonus of 100 GB of cloud storage. I would just have to close the other cloud accounts down that don't offer that feature.

This is the website and you can see in the left column the ability to sync folders across devices  https://www.sugarsync.com/sync_comparison.html .

David
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 07:17:53 AM by judophotos »