Author Topic: Email Client Choices  (Read 13710 times)

Offline Chawn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Email Client Choices
« on: November 09, 2013, 08:10:14 PM »
Can anyone direct me as to how to add an email program to the list to select from when I go to File>Send photos via email?  I use Airmail and Mailmate which are not on the default list...

Thanks,

Chawn

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Email Client Choices
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 08:28:03 PM »
Chawn,

Can anyone direct me as to how to add an email program to the list to select from when I go to File>Send photos via email?  I use Airmail and Mailmate which are not on the default list...

You can't add your own apps.  The mechanism for getting an email client on the Mac to be controlled by Photo Mechanic requires that the email client support a fairly robust AppleScript system and then I need to write the AppleScript code to control it and add it to Photo Mechanic.

I haven't heard of either of those two apps before.  If enough people indicate that they want to use those apps and the apps support enough AppleScript to be able to be controlled by Photo Mechanic then we'll consider adding them.

-Kirk

Offline Chawn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 10:15:04 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply, Kirk!
It's not a big deal; I didn't realize it was a task-heavy item.  I just set my basic template up and tested it.  The only difference is I don't keep Apple Mail in my dock, but it functions just fine.

Best,

Chawn

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 11:03:31 PM »
Chawn,

Thanks for the quick reply, Kirk!
It's not a big deal; I didn't realize it was a task-heavy item.  I just set my basic template up and tested it.  The only difference is I don't keep Apple Mail in my dock, but it functions just fine.

I usually recommend that users who use an unsupported app just configure Apple Mail for the purposes of sending from PM.  It works fine and you can always Bcc yourself if you want a record of what you sent.  You don't have to actually use Apple Mail for anything else.

-Kirk

Offline vabiro

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 08:08:21 PM »
Kirk,

+1 for AirMail, but as you pointed out I can just use Mail for outgoing, but it is nice to have everything work together

Cheers
Victor

Offline jswain

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 10:08:13 PM »
Another vote for Airmail.

I have been having problems sending email with Apple Mail so switched to Airmail. I don't have the option of sending with Apple Mail as it does not work for me.

Thanks, JS

Offline fabianlujan

• sports photographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 07:46:10 AM »
I can't setup the email output because when I press Ctrl+Alt+E I get this window:

"Server busy
This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose 'Switch To' to activate the busy program and correct the problem"

Al after retying a lot, I get this one:

"Error: Unable to connect to MAPI.
Photo Mechanic requires use of MAPI to send mail.
Most email clients incluiding Outlook Express support MAPI.
You may want to seek the help of your System Administrator or Help Desk to get MAPI operating correctly on your system.
Details: Failed to logon to MAPI using a shared session, Error:2"

For your information, when I press a email link in my computer, it moves to Gmail to send email.

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 08:35:49 AM »
Fabian,

I can't setup the email output because when I press Ctrl+Alt+E I get this window:

"Server busy
This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose 'Switch To' to activate the busy program and correct the problem"

Al after retying a lot, I get this one:

"Error: Unable to connect to MAPI.
Photo Mechanic requires use of MAPI to send mail.
Most email clients incluiding Outlook Express support MAPI.
You may want to seek the help of your System Administrator or Help Desk to get MAPI operating correctly on your system.
Details: Failed to logon to MAPI using a shared session, Error:2"

For your information, when I press a email link in my computer, it moves to Gmail to send email.

Gmail does not have an 'application', it is web-based and does not support MAPI.  You'll need to get a MAPI email client configured on your system.

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 09:11:47 AM »
Try Affixa at https://www.affixa.com/

I normally use a server to send pictures but when needed this will send via Gmail.

I hope it helps.
David

Offline dbrouse

• View Profile
    • DC Corporate Headshots
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 08:15:20 PM »
+1 for Airmail as well.

http://airmailapp.com

It's awesome.
Delane B. Rouse/Rouse Photography Group, LLC
Mac OS: Version 10.7.4, Build 12713

Offline carlseibert

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 11:55:30 AM »
And Thunderbird would be nice. AFAIK, it's one of the most popular. And it's Open Source and all that. (Not to mention that it's the one I use :-)

Offline ImageGroupLA

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 07:16:52 PM »
The eMail PM is offering is basically down to one now that is currently still being supported.  It would be nice to have access to using eMail with other eMail apps.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2015, 08:41:03 PM »
And Thunderbird would be nice. AFAIK, it's one of the most popular. And it's Open Source and all that. (Not to mention that it's the one I use :-)

Have you tried setting up its MAPI support?  http://kb.mozillazine.org/MAPI_Support

-Kirk