Author Topic: PM destructive rather than additive XMP edits? Overwriting Adobe edits.  (Read 3489 times)

Offline david_hill

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi Kirk -

We discussed this issue under slightly different guise a few years ago:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=2621.0

I am seeing a new iteration of this which I'm not able to resolve with the advice you gave me at that time.

What I am seeing now:

1. I color class/sort photos in PM 5.x.
2. I edit a NEF in ACR 7.3 with changes saved to XMP sidecar.
3. I reclassify the color in PM 5.x post edit.
4. At the instant of color reclassification, the contents of my XMP file are overwritten to default, so that all editing changes are lost.

This means that the "Revert" command is not helpful.

I have tried every obvious combination of settings allowed in this portion of PM prefs:

I can't seem to find any "safe" combination of settings that allows me to use PM on an image after it has been edited in ACR 6. No matter what I do, the XMP info is getting blasted.

What's the solution to this one now? (I can't imagine that there's not a solution with the prevalence of Adobe workflows.)

Thanks,
David

« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 11:09:09 AM by david_hill »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM destructive rather than additive XMP edits? Overwriting Adobe edits.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 11:06:44 AM »
David,

We discussed this issue under slightly different guise a few years ago:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=2621.0

I am seeing a new iteration of this which I'm not able to resolve with the advice you gave me at that time.

What I am seeing now:

1. I color class/sort photos in PM 5.x.
2. I edit a NEF in ACR 6.x with changes saved to XMP sidecar.
3. I reclassify the color in PM 5.x post edit.
4. At the instant of color reclassification, the contents of my XMP file are overwritten to default, so that all editing changes are lost.

This means that the "Revert" command is not helpful.

I have tried every obvious combination of settings allowed in this portion of PM prefs:

I can't seem to find any "safe" combination of settings that allows me to use PM on an image after it has been edited in ACR 6. No matter what I do, the XMP info is getting blasted.

What's the solution to this one now? (I can't imagine that there's not a solution with the prevalence of Adobe workflows.)

First, never write XMP into RAW files if you're using Adobe products.  Second, make sure that you read XMP sidecar files first and any embedded data as second and third choices.

-Kirk

Offline david_hill

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 11:11:11 AM »
Actually, ACR 7.3 (corrected above now)

To your response:

How am I supposed to achieve that in the prefs dialog? As I see it, no matter what I do there I cannot uncheck all the boxes in the relevant section. What's the correct procedure here?

BTW, I just found this, appears to be same issue:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=8296.0
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 11:13:11 AM by david_hill »

Offline david_hill

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 11:12:13 AM »
Also, how does the read order set in PM matter to Adobe, if they have their own read order?

Offline david_hill

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 11:43:46 AM »
Updating to 15011 and using your Snapshot button to pick Adobe did the trick. I think the only thing it did differently from what I had already tried was to set the read order as you suggested above.

As user experience feedback, if having the read order is a hard requirement of avoiding edit data loss in the write section of the prefs (which is what I am guessing from what you said above, until such time that you respond/clarify), you might want to add some additional dialogs to that tie the two together better, perhaps go so far as adding some code to watch for common scenarios like this and add a dummy warning like "are you sure you really want to do this" before performing an op that would overwrite valuable edit data, of course with typical "don't show this message again" option and a "reset warnings" button somewhere in the product (which may already be there for all I know at this instant).

Thanks again.