Author Topic: Renaming string reverts back to old string  (Read 6425 times)

Offline Andre Ringuette

• Newcomer
  • NHL Photographer
    • View Profile
    • FREESTYLE PHOTOGRAPHY
Renaming string reverts back to old string
« on: November 12, 2013, 06:47:36 AM »
I've seen PM suddenly revert back to an old renaming string after changing contact sheets and have lived with it.

But now it is reverting back to a second string, and is doing it at a very specific set of circumstances:
-Applying a Renaming template
XXXXXAR{seqn}_XXX_Sens
-to today's game =
181110473AR000_Panthers_Sens

This works and saves the updated naming for the time being. Applied to first test photo and uploaded successfully.
But, when I try apply the new name (...Panthers_Sens) to the next batch of photos from the start of the game, the renaming string has reverted back to the string created on the first game of the season:
181108307AR001_Devils_Sens

Every game. Once I change it back to current game (...Panthers_Sens), it is fine for the rest of the night.

I deleted all my Preferences and re-launched a clean PM thinking it would solve the issue... but it still happened exactly the same way.

Any direction you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Andre

Using:
PM v5  build 13915
OSX 10.7.5 2.4GHz i7
Official Photographer of the Ottawa Senators.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Renaming string reverts back to old string
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 06:59:01 AM »
Andre,

I've seen PM suddenly revert back to an old renaming string after changing contact sheets and have lived with it.

But now it is reverting back to a second string, and is doing it at a very specific set of circumstances:
-Applying a Renaming template
XXXXXAR{seqn}_XXX_Sens
-to today's game =
181110473AR000_Panthers_Sens

This works and saves the updated naming for the time being. Applied to first test photo and uploaded successfully.
But, when I try apply the new name (...Panthers_Sens) to the next batch of photos from the start of the game, the renaming string has reverted back to the string created on the first game of the season:
181108307AR001_Devils_Sens

Every game. Once I change it back to current game (...Panthers_Sens), it is fine for the rest of the night.

I deleted all my Preferences and re-launched a clean PM thinking it would solve the issue... but it still happened exactly the same way.

Any direction you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Andre

Using:
PM v5  build 13915
OSX 10.7.5 2.4GHz i7

Please get the latest build of PM5 here: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=8780.0

If the problem still persists, then let me know.

-Kirk

Offline Andre Ringuette

• Newcomer
  • NHL Photographer
    • View Profile
    • FREESTYLE PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 09:02:14 AM »
Hi Kirk,
I downloaded installed the latest build as you suggested.
I ran my test before getting to tonight's game, and the exact same this happened.

-Copy folder from card to desktop.
-Open in PM.
-Start with Rename Snap: XXXXXAR{seqn}_XXX_Sens
-Apply: 181110638AR{seqn}_Flyers_Sens
-Add IPTC, save, upload, etc.
Within minutes:
-Shoot few more frames an card.
-rename card folder and copy to desktop.
-open folder in PM.
-Copy tagged frame to working folder.
-From working folder, open tagged photo into PShop. Crop, resize, tweak, save.
-Try to apply rename back in Working folder in PM, and following string is now in place:
181108307AR{seqn}_Devils_Sens

Screen cap attached. Please let me know if there's any more info I can provide for you.
Thank you,
Andre

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Andre Ringuette

• Newcomer
  • NHL Photographer
    • View Profile
    • FREESTYLE PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 09:22:39 AM »
A bit of an Update:

After previous post, I:
-Closed the renaming window without applying.
-Quit PM
-Shot a few more frames on card
-Open PM, copy photos, rename, and... my Rename Snap was in place:
XXXXXAR{seqn}_XXX_Sens

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 12:52:02 PM »
Andre,

A bit of an Update:

After previous post, I:
-Closed the renaming window without applying.
-Quit PM
-Shot a few more frames on card
-Open PM, copy photos, rename, and... my Rename Snap was in place:
XXXXXAR{seqn}_XXX_Sens

That's good.  I looked through your preferences files and only this rename string is present:

XXXXXAR{seqn}_XXX_Sens

I could find no instance of the word "Devils" anywhere in the preferences database.

-Kirk

Offline Andre Ringuette

• Newcomer
  • NHL Photographer
    • View Profile
    • FREESTYLE PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 08:13:18 AM »
That's good.  I looked through your preferences files and only this rename string is present:

XXXXXAR{seqn}_XXX_Sens

I could find no instance of the word "Devils" anywhere in the preferences database.

-Kirk

Hmm... well, it happened again last night, and I was able to replicate the exact same scenario just now:
-Take image, apply rename snap: XXXXXAR{seqn}_XXX_Sens
-Change to: 1234567AR000_Test_Sens
-When I copy the next batch of pix to same folder, the first time applying Rename, it changes to: 181108307AR001_Devils_Sens
-Change it back to current game: 1234567AR000_Test_Sens (copying/pasting from first image)
Then it is fine for the rest of the night.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 09:15:03 AM »
Andre,

XXXXXAR{seqn}_XXX_Sens

Hmm... well, it happened again last night, and I was able to replicate the exact same scenario just now:
-Take image, apply rename snap: XXXXXAR{seqn}_XXX_Sens
-Change to: 1234567AR000_Test_Sens
-When I copy the next batch of pix to same folder, the first time applying Rename, it changes to: 181108307AR001_Devils_Sens
-Change it back to current game: 1234567AR000_Test_Sens (copying/pasting from first image)
Then it is fine for the rest of the night.

Do you perhaps have something in a code replacement file that may cause this?  Since none of your preference data has the _Devils_Sens string in it, I'm confused as to where that data could possibly come from.

-Kirk

Offline Andre Ringuette

• Newcomer
  • NHL Photographer
    • View Profile
    • FREESTYLE PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 09:30:20 AM »

Do you perhaps have something in a code replacement file that may cause this?  Since none of your preference data has the _Devils_Sens string in it, I'm confused as to where that data could possibly come from.

-Kirk

I have nothing in code replacement that would push this particular resulting string. I'm also not entering the Delimiter Character at any time during rename.

I have seen many times when after working with multiple Contact Sheets, that all of a sudden when trying to apply a Rename, that a previously used name will appear, overriding the current one. But this particular set I'm addressing here is consistent and problematic in this set of circumstances.
-Andre

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 09:47:13 AM »
Andre,

I have nothing in code replacement that would push this particular resulting string. I'm also not entering the Delimiter Character at any time during rename.

I have seen many times when after working with multiple Contact Sheets, that all of a sudden when trying to apply a Rename, that a previously used name will appear, overriding the current one. But this particular set I'm addressing here is consistent and problematic in this set of circumstances.

And you're never entering the string that contains _Devils_Sens anywhere else at any time?  It has to come from somewhere.  Where, I do not know.  Do you have any snapshots that contain that string of text?

-Kirk

Offline Andre Ringuette

• Newcomer
  • NHL Photographer
    • View Profile
    • FREESTYLE PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 10:13:12 AM »

And you're never entering the string that contains _Devils_Sens anywhere else at any time?  It has to come from somewhere.  Where, I do not know.

-Kirk

Hi Kirk,
I have not entered "... _Devils_Sens" since OCT 17, which was the first game of the season.
-I start with the Snap: XXXXXAR{seqn}_XXX_Sens and enter the current info in the XXX's. (12345AR{seqn}_Test_Sens)
-After applying today's team info, I successfully rename the first test photo 12345AR000_Test_Sens
-Leave contact sheet, copy new photos, select, resize in PhotoShop, Save.
-When trying to apply to this next photo, PM will always go back to _Devils_Sens.
-I copy 12345AR{seqn}_Test_Sens into the Rename window, then I am good for the rest of the game.
(Well... usually by the end of the night, after having left the current contact sheet the Rename window will now be filled in with a Rename I applied over a year ago: "{seqn}OTT{datesort}" Which, by the way just happened just now. I had a different renaming string going as I had been working in PM for the last couple of hours... and it just jumped back to this.)
Screen cap attached.

Do you have any snapshots that contain that string of text?
Sorry. I just want to clarify:
-"snapshots" as in screen caps? Yes. They have been included in throughout this post.
-"snapshots" as in Snap/Favorites/Templates? No, not "_Devils_Sens". But XXXXXAR{seqn}_XXX_Sens which _Devils_Sens and all other games/teams were applied.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 11:03:33 AM »
Andre,

Yes, I meant snapshot files (settings accessed from the lighting bolt button in various parts of the UI).

I am making a new build of PM that will log all reads and writes of the renaming string.  I will send you an email (and a Personal Message for good measure) with a link to the new version and instructions on how to enable the logging and how to give me the log file once you've reproduced the problem.

Expect messages shortly.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 02:52:59 AM »
If it's of interest, I also have one particular rename string that occasionally reappears from somewhere. I have never worked out how to reproduce it willingly, and it only happens rarely so isn't a problem, but it's a string I haven't used for several years (once in 2007, once again in 2009).  I have no idea where PM pulls it from. For a while I thought it had stopped happening, as it had been months at least since I last saw it, but a few weeks ago it popped up again to say hi!

Offline Andre Ringuette

• Newcomer
  • NHL Photographer
    • View Profile
    • FREESTYLE PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 06:33:07 PM »
Hi Sam,
The issue seems to be that in one of your Templates/Snaps for Saving or Copying, that the "Rename As" was included/on.
Look at your settings in the Save As or Copy dialog.  Look in particular at the "Rename as:" text field.  If it's hidden, set the "Rename as:" checkbox - on. You will likely find the mystery text there.

Copy/Save As/Rename all share the same renaming string. Even if the "Rename As" was set to Off, it is remembered and applied to your current workflow.

Been working with Kirk on this for a couple of days and he has implemented a new build that will be addressing this issue. Results to come soon.
Cheers,
Andre