Author Topic: Live Ingest & Incremental Ingest  (Read 5977 times)

Offline ScottAudette

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Live Ingest & Incremental Ingest
« on: November 11, 2013, 08:07:44 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Thanks for re-adjusting the live ingests so that multiple streams can have the IPTC date applied. Much appreciated. We've come up with another issue though...

Here's the scenario:

I am shooting from a corner hole all game, the horn sounds I pull out the ethernet cord and run out on to the ice. When I get back to the darkroom we put the same card I've been using all night in the reader. We are then selecting incremental ingest, copy new photos only. Problem is it's copying all of them not just the new ones. We aren't changing the names on the live ingest just adding the iptc data. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Scott

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Live Ingest & Incremental Ingest
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 09:00:16 AM »
Scott,

Thanks for re-adjusting the live ingests so that multiple streams can have the IPTC date applied. Much appreciated. We've come up with another issue though...

Here's the scenario:

I am shooting from a corner hole all game, the horn sounds I pull out the ethernet cord and run out on to the ice. When I get back to the darkroom we put the same card I've been using all night in the reader. We are then selecting incremental ingest, copy new photos only. Problem is it's copying all of them not just the new ones. We aren't changing the names on the live ingest just adding the iptc data. Any thoughts on this?

I take it that there are two different computers in use with the same card here?  Incremental Ingest works by putting an ID number on the card (if one does not already exist from prior usage in Ingest) and that ID number is used to look for information stored locally on a system running Photo Mechanic.  The information is not shared between different computers so your "darkroom" computer knows nothing about what was copied on the "corner hole" computer.

There is no option to Ingest Incrementally that would look at the destination for the same files already existing at the destination.  The files themselves would appear to be different to PM anyway since the files on the card are unmodified, and the files at the destination have IPTC/XMP data written into them.

-Kirk

Offline ScottAudette

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 06:33:18 AM »
Hi Kirk,

There is only ONE real computer in use. I am sending the files directly out of a Canon 1dx via ethernet to our ftp server. PM is watching a folder on it for the live ingest.

The only time the camera is actually in a reader if when I come off the ice post game. And that is on the same computer that is live ingesting.

-Thanks
Scott

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 06:45:00 AM »
Scott,

There is only ONE real computer in use. I am sending the files directly out of a Canon 1dx via ethernet to our ftp server. PM is watching a folder on it for the live ingest.

The only time the camera is actually in a reader if when I come off the ice post game. And that is on the same computer that is live ingesting.

Live Ingest does not participate in the "Incremental Ingest" system.  So when you do an Incremental Ingest, the Ingest has no knowledge of files that previously were copied via Live Ingest.  Live Ingest has no ability to directly access any information from the source of the images (especially the crucial small data file that Ingest puts there during the time it has direct access to the card) and would have no way to know what database key to list the files it has copied from the watched folder.

The behavior you've described is the intentional behavior and to make it so that Ingest could find out what Live Ingest has done would be fairly difficult to achieve.  I can think of circumstances where keeping all of that information straight would be impossible.  (For instance, having several separate cameras putting their files into the same watched folder.)

If Live Ingest has already copied everything off the card during the game, why would you need to Ingest it again after the game?

-Kirk

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 06:47:32 AM »
shooting with the same card "off cable line" and wants to ingest the images not live-ingested.
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 06:57:24 AM »
shooting with the same card "off cable line" and wants to ingest the images not live-ingested.

If the camera shoots to a different folder when operated directly then I'd suggest the Ingest from Folder option and select only the new folder containing the hand-held images.

-Kirk

Offline ScottAudette

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 09:03:46 AM »
Hi Kirk,

The reason is that I literally am shooting the final seconds of the game then running out a gate to the ice. 95% of the time I can't change a disk or folder. So, there are photos that will need to be ingested of post-game celebration.

Just seemed to me that PM would also be able to incremental ingest via file naming. But now knowing that your tagging the card with an ID# clarifies it all. I had always I assumed that it was checking to see the last file name ingested on the resident computer not tasking the card for that info.

Thanks,
Scott

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 10:04:20 AM »
Scott,

The reason is that I literally am shooting the final seconds of the game then running out a gate to the ice. 95% of the time I can't change a disk or folder. So, there are photos that will need to be ingested of post-game celebration.

Just seemed to me that PM would also be able to incremental ingest via file naming. But now knowing that your tagging the card with an ID# clarifies it all. I had always I assumed that it was checking to see the last file name ingested on the resident computer not tasking the card for that info.

Right.  And since the files can go literally anywhere and be renamed, we have to know what the source file names were at the time of the ingest.

-Kirk

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 02:03:58 PM »
shooting with the same card "off line" and wants to ingest the images not live-ingested.

When disconnecting the camera from Live Ingest you would need to do a quick format of the card before doing a subsequent Ingest.

--dennis