Author Topic: PM opening wrong email app  (Read 3967 times)

Offline FastGlass

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM opening wrong email app
« on: July 18, 2011, 10:12:17 AM »
When I try to email a photo from my iMac, PM 4.6.7 opens the Apple Mail program -- instead of my default Thunderbird app -- then fails to connect to the outbound SMTP server even though the address (?) is the same.

Both Mail and Thunderbird seem to know which one is the correct default program, yet PM does not and I don't see where or if I can change it.

I've seen similar but not exactly the same issue here on the forum, with lots of reviews, but I don't see this issue. Is it something to do with MAPI?

thanks for the assist,

Rich Obrey

Mac OS X 10.6.8
3.1 GHz i5

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM opening wrong email app
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 10:30:12 AM »
Rich,

When I try to email a photo from my iMac, PM 4.6.7 opens the Apple Mail program -- instead of my default Thunderbird app -- then fails to connect to the outbound SMTP server even though the address (?) is the same.

Both Mail and Thunderbird seem to know which one is the correct default program, yet PM does not and I don't see where or if I can change it.

I've seen similar but not exactly the same issue here on the forum, with lots of reviews, but I don't see this issue. Is it something to do with MAPI?

No, MAPI is a Windows-only concern.

At the bottom of the Send Photos via email dialog there is a popup menu that lists the supported email applications.  Thunderbird is not supported because it doesn't provide enough AppleScript support to let Photo Mechanic work with it.

You should be able to create settings in the Apple Mail application that will allow you to send email from it.  Just use your Thunderbird settings (copy them down) in the Apple Mail application.  PM will launch it for you to send the emails and when you're no longer using it, you can quit Apple Mail.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline alphapix

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 02:26:41 PM »
Hi Kirk,

I'm trying to select a different email client on a Win7 PC but there is no drop down on the pop up. Is that something thats only available on the Mac?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 05:11:00 PM »
I'm trying to select a different email client on a Win7 PC but there is no drop down on the pop up. Is that something thats only available on the Mac?

Yes.  On Windows the various email clients support a system called MAPI and you have to choose one as your MAPI client.  Each email application does this in its own way.

What email application are you trying to use?

-Kirk

Offline alphapix

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 01:54:39 PM »
Thanks Kirk, thats what i figured. I've gone away from using a pc based client for all my mail and use gmail instead .. so it means i have to have a client installed for no other reason that sending pics. :-)

Was wondering if its possible to use Gmail to send. I've searched around the net but none of the advice seems to work.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 02:25:47 PM »
Thanks Kirk, thats what i figured. I've gone away from using a pc based client for all my mail and use gmail instead .. so it means i have to have a client installed for no other reason that sending pics. :-)

Was wondering if its possible to use Gmail to send. I've searched around the net but none of the advice seems to work.

No.  We can't make a web browser send email through gmail.

-Kirk

Offline alphapix

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 03:28:27 PM »
Any suggestions on MAPI capable clients?