Author Topic: PM removes EXIF:Artist  (Read 2465 times)

Offline RutNet

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM removes EXIF:Artist
« on: November 18, 2013, 12:59:59 PM »
I'm running PM 5.0 under Windows 7 64-bit and have problem
When I choose any colour class, I lost artist info in exif. How can I fix this?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM removes EXIF:Artist
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 01:41:30 PM »
I'm running PM 5.0 under Windows 7 64-bit and have problem
When I choose any colour class, I lost artist info in exif. How can I fix this?

I cannot say how it can be fixed.  You haven't furnished enough information for me to go on.

What type of files are you working with?  Are they produced by a camera and if so, what make/model of camera produced the files?  If not produced by a camera, what produced the files?
What are you using to look at the EXIF information?
What build of Photo Mechanic 5 are you running?

-Kirk

Offline RutNet

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 01:46:00 PM »
I work with JPEG files, they produced by a camera, I work with different model and all time removes exif (artist). I look Exif info at PM
Build 13645

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 06:42:36 PM »
I work with JPEG files, they produced by a camera, I work with different model and all time removes exif (artist). I look Exif info at PM
Build 13645

First of all, please update to build 15077.  You are using an old version.

The {artist} variable was added to PM so that people could view the TIFF/Exif tag that many cameras will write.  But ideally all the metadata of this type should be in the IPTC/XMP.  So you should use the {photog} variable for the most part rather than {artist}.  I added the {artist} variable to make it easy to "transfer" the TIFF/Exif field into the IPTC/XMP.  This is done by putting {artist} into the "photographer" field in the IPTC Stationery Pad.  This moves the TIFF/Exif field written by the camera into the IPTC/XMP record during ingest, along with all of the other IPTC/XMP metadata.

Due to the many problems with updating TIFF fields "in place" (without re-writing the entire Exif structure), PM will only try to update the TIFF/Exif "artist" tag if it can (i.e. if the new value is < the same length).  If it is possible then PM will update the TIFF/Exif "artist" value.  But if your camera only puts "Joe" into the "artist" field and later you want it to say "Joe Smith" then PM cannot do this without re-writing the whole Exif block, and due to maker notes being present this is very difficult (if not impossible) to do 100% of the time without damaging the maker note (depending on the camera make/model). So, PM will remove the TIFF/Exif "artist" tag because it is putting the real (longer) value inside IPTC/XMP.  This prevents issues where somebody says "program A shows B but Photo Mechanic is showing C".  This is because program "A" is showing the TIFF/Exif "artist" tag B (from the camera) and not the value C that is in IPTC/XMP (along with everything else like city, keywords, etc).  One other major problem with TIFF/Exif tags is that they are not really Unicode compliant whereas XMP is.

Long explanation but HTH.

--dennis

Offline RutNet

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 03:05:17 AM »
dennis
Thanks! Update help me  :D