Author Topic: Second install under Vista does.... nothing?  (Read 5269 times)

Offline rtrueman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Second install under Vista does.... nothing?
« on: December 11, 2006, 09:18:17 PM »
I was very pleased with my initial trial of PM.  Unfortunately, I had some issues with Capture NX under Vista (I'm using the release version from MSDN) and tried uninstalling PM.  That didn't fix the NX problem (ultimately, I did fix that problem), but I'm unable to reinstall PM.  After double-clicking the setup.exe for PM I get the usual prompt to grant permission (from Vista) to run the install.  After, I get... nothing.  Nothing happens.  I check the running processes and I don't see anything.  I've tried this in administrator mode and without as well as compatibility mode.

Is there a limit in the demo of how many times it can be loaded?

I know there's a lot of debate about Vista, but I'm not interested in hearing the latest MS rant (I do enough of that myself).  Suffice it to say I need to run the OS for my job.   

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Rob

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Second install under Vista does.... nothing?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 10:41:49 PM »
Rob,

I was very pleased with my initial trial of PM.  Unfortunately, I had some issues with Capture NX under Vista (I'm using the release version from MSDN) and tried uninstalling PM.  That didn't fix the NX problem (ultimately, I did fix that problem), but I'm unable to reinstall PM.  After double-clicking the setup.exe for PM I get the usual prompt to grant permission (from Vista) to run the install.  After, I get... nothing.  Nothing happens.  I check the running processes and I don't see anything.  I've tried this in administrator mode and without as well as compatibility mode.

Is there a limit in the demo of how many times it can be loaded?

I know there's a lot of debate about Vista, but I'm not interested in hearing the latest MS rant (I do enough of that myself).  Suffice it to say I need to run the OS for my job.   

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Camera Bits, Inc. have not tested Photo Mechanic or its installer for use with Windows Vista.  We do know from user feedback that the menus in Photo Mechanic operate very slowly when running the Aero user interface.  Turning off the Aero user interface solves the problem.

There is no limit to how many times the installer can be run when using the demo registration since the installer knows nothing about licenses: it just installs the product.

My recommendation would be to uninstall Photo Mechanic, restart Vista, and then try installing Photo Mechanic again.

Let me know if this does not work and you need further assistance.

Also, if any of the other early Vista adopters can help Rob then let me say thanks in advance.

-Kirk

Offline rtrueman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 12:18:41 PM »
Thanks for the info, Kirk.  I tried uninstalling/reinstaling with no success.  I just finished building another machine with Vista and will try that later tonight.  The bizarre part is PM worked great (besides the known issue with menus) previous to the uninstall.  I'll try a few more things and report back.  I've finally figured out an issue with the .NET Framework 1.1 and Nikon Capture NX.  What a nightmare (easy fix though).  I keep asking my network guy why he wants a Mac...  Hmmmm! :)

If anyone else has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks.

Offline rtrueman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 12:37:04 PM »
Okay, probably by luck, I figured this one out.  I looked at the Properties of the install file and noticed it said this program was from another computer.  Do you consider it safe?  I clicked the Allow button and the installer runs like a champ.  Add the "fix" for compatibility mode to turn off Aero and it's running again!

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 03:05:11 PM »
Okay, probably by luck, I figured this one out.  I looked at the Properties of the install file and noticed it said this program was from another computer.  Do you consider it safe?  I clicked the Allow button and the installer runs like a champ.  Add the "fix" for compatibility mode to turn off Aero and it's running again!

We consider it safe, but apparently Vista does not! ;)  Thanks for the additional info.

-Kirk